Reaction score
Jets 19, Cowboys 16: My Top 10 Whitty Comments | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

10. I know the Cowboys were abysmal during their 1-15 season in 1989. But, seriously, the offense wasn’t any more anemic than this. Saturday night was the third consecutive game and 6th time in 14 outings that Dallas was held to one offensive touchdown or less. That’s just embarrassingly inept. This season the defense has played like an 11-5 unit, but the offense has been 5-11 at best.

9. Last week I feared Matt Cassel produced the microcosm of the season with his double-clutch finesse flail into the ground in Green Bay last week. But last night he topped it with a play right out of NFL’s Football Follies. After wisely not throwing a covered quick screen to Cole Beasley in the first quarter, the quarterback then stumbled, looked right and eventually attempted to throw the ball out of bounds – but had the wounded duck of a pass intercepted by Darrelle Revis. Even in this epic season, getting called for intentional grounding on an interception is embarrassing.

8. Home-field disadvantage? Since moving to Arlington in 2009 the Cowboys are now 27-28 at home. Don’t ask me to explain that one.

7. Good news is that newly promoted Terrance Mitchell picked off Ryan Fitzpatrick in the third quarter. Bad news is that it is the first interception by a Cowboys’ cornerback this season, and in 559 passes dating back to 2014.

6. We’ve talked all season about the Cowboys’ struggles on 3rd-and-1, but it’s more of a sickness on third downs in general. How nauseating? In their last three games how about 1-of-9 against the Redskins, 1-of-11 against the Packers and last night 2-of-11 against the Jets. By my math that’s a three-game run of 4-of-31 (13 percent) conversions, and by my judgment that’s horrible.

5. Cowboys have now used four quarterbacks this season with Tony Romo, Brandon Weeden, Cassel and Kellen Moore. Last time it happened was 2001, with the inspiring quartet of Quincy Carter, Anthony Wright, Ryan Leaf and Clint Stoerner. Romo’s obviously more accomplished than Carter, but Nos. 2-4 are very comparable trash.

4. Raise your hand if you’re tired of Jason Garrett’s tired, hollow clichés. “We just battle,” the head coach told NFL Network at halftime. “That’s what this team is all about. Guys who are fighting and scratching and clawing.” He forgot, “ … and losing.” Effort be damned, his team is 4-10.

3. Frustration? The Cowboys have led or been tired in the fourth quarter of seven of their eight games without Romo. Last night they were in a position to finally win a late, close game until rookie Byron Jones was beaten by Kenbrell Thompkins for a 43-yard pass that set up the Jets’ game-winning field goal.

2. You want silver linings and positives to take from an otherwise lost season? La’el Collins is a monster of an offense lineman, often blocking 20 yards downfield. And DeMarcus Lawrence is finding his potential, recording six sacks in the last six games and making four tackles for a loss against the Jets. If nothing else, the Cowboys have found productive linemen on both sides of the ball for 2016 and beyond.

1. Best I can remember, Kellen Moore is the first left-handed quarterback to complete a pass in a regular-season game for the Cowboys. Jim Zorn was in camp with the team in the ‘70s but never played in a game, and Paul McDonald was a backup to Danny White in ’86 who never attempted a pass. So despite his three interceptions, Moore is unequivocally the best lefty quarterback in the history of America’s Team. And, undoubtedly, also the worst.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
8. Home-field disadvantage? Since moving to Arlington in 2009 the Cowboys are now 27-28 at home. Don’t ask me to explain that one.

Cowboy fans have never been very good at creating a home field advantage (except in really big games) but building a glorified snooty, overpriced cocktail bar and calling it a stadium doesn't help

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Cowboy fans have never been very good at creating a home field advantage (except in really big games) but building a glorified snooty, overpriced cocktail bar and calling it a stadium doesn't help

One of the Jets players I think it was Fitz, told Deion the place was "cushy." Yep it's cushy for the fans, the opponents fans, and for the opponent.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
One of the Jets players I think it was Fitz, told Deion the place was "cushy." Yep it's cushy for the fans, the opponents fans, and for the opponent.

Kardashians of the NFL, its disgusting

if I could quit em' I would

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Dallas was really good at home when Landry was running a dynasty, they were great at home under Jimmy too

I went to plenty of games at Texas Stadium in the early to mid 90's where crowds really got into it.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Dallas was really good at home when Landry was running a dynasty, they were great at home under Jimmy too

I went to plenty of games at Texas Stadium in the early to mid 90's where crowds really got into it.

I did too, I grew up here, went to tons of games and crowds were notoriously reserved but did get fired up for big games.

Dallas fans have always been criticized for this, it is what it is. Probably a by-product of so much winning under landry

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Dallas fans have always been criticized for this, it is what it is. Probably a by-product of so much winning under landry
Moving out of the Cotton Bowl changed the type of fan attending the games. It went from blue collar beer drinking ruffians, to mostly the socialite suburban types.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Probably a by-product of so much winning under landry

Might be some truth to this, I think a lot of people just started expecting them to win every week, they were used to it. They had great teams and tons of great players.

Then they got bad in mid to late 80's. Fans got incredibly indifferent and were sick of the mediocrity. A lot of the energy returned though once Jimmy got it turned around. The games I went to from 91-95 the crowds were always into it. I went to the season finale in 1991 and 1000's of fans hung out in the stands after the game just to get updates on what Barry Sanders was doing (Emmitt was about to win his first rushing title) and that was actually a meaningless game for us. The crowd was jacked. The crowds for the Philly game in 1992 (Krogers in the city took Philly Cream Cheese off shelves) and for the 1993 reg season game vs San Fran were electric.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
4. Raise your hand if you’re tired of Jason Garrett’s tired, hollow clichés. “We just battle,” the head coach told NFL Network at halftime. “That’s what this team is all about. Guys who are fighting and scratching and clawing.” He forgot, “ … and losing.” Effort be damned, his team is 4-10.

Yet despite all this "fighting and scratching and clawing", that they are doing... you still manage to throw them under the bus. I'm sure you learned that from Coach K and Jimmy Johnson, and Saban, etc.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Might be some truth to this, I think a lot of people just started expecting them to win every week, they were used to it. They had great teams and tons of great players.

Then they got bad in mid to late 80's. Fans got incredibly indifferent and were sick of the mediocrity. A lot of the energy returned though once Jimmy got it turned around. The games I went to from 91-95 the crowds were always into it. I went to the season finale in 1991 and 1000's of fans hung out in the stands after the game just to get updates on what Barry Sanders was doing (Emmitt was about to win his first rushing title) and that was actually a meaningless game for us. The crowd was jacked. The crowds for the Philly game in 1992 (Krogers in the city took Philly Cream Cheese off shelves) and for the 1993 reg season game vs San Fran were electric.

The early 90's were probably the most active the fans have ever been, there was so much pent up frustration from being shitty for 8 years (compared to 20 years now, smh...the good old days).

Dooms is also right, the price of tickets kept out the rowdy blue collar crowd. Best fans I ever saw at Texas Stadium was in January of 1993 before the 1992 season championship game in SF. The Cowboys had a pep rally that was free to the public, the place was packed ( I think they said there were almost 70,000 fans) and going bonkers, it was a blast. I remember thinking how much I wished these fans could be at every game but looking around at the people in attendance, you could tell it was mostly blue collar folks that rarely get to go to the games.

The most intense crowd I've ever experienced first hand was at the championship game vs SF for the 93 season. I think everyone was still wanting revenge for the friggin catch game. Everyone ( at least in my section, 20 rows up at the 40, a typically subdued bunch of folks due to the price of the tickets) stood up for the entire game and relished every moment, it was incredible.

little did I know the devil was about to rear his ugly head and fire the coach that got back to back super bowl wins and things have never been the same since

article about the pep rally (Cowboys officials said Thursday's pep rally at Texas Stadium drew 69,609, the largest crowd to watch a Cowboys event there.):

a3rksxk.png

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I remember that.

Its amazing how good those 92 and 93 Dallas teams were. Anyone that wants to see the definition of near perfect football should re-watch the 92 Championship game 2nd half and the 1st half of the 93 Championship game, especially that 93 game. If Aikman hadn't got a concussion to start 2nd half we might have hung 50 on them.

Still sickening that Jerry had such an ego he couldn't get out of the way enough to keep Jimmy in place. If Jerry really wanted to be revered and get credit for stuff, he could have been the owner of a team that might have won 4 or 5 straight super bowls and no telling how many in a decade span. BUT NOOOOOOOOO...he had to be drunk fucktard.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Moving out of the Cotton Bowl changed the type of fan attending the games. It went from blue collar beer drinking ruffians, to mostly the socialite suburban types.

I was so glad to hear the late afternoon Ticket guys last week say they'd love to see some circumstance where we had a huge home game coming up that couldn't possibly be postponed (like a playoff game) and Jerryworld had some massive malfunction so that the game had to be played at the Cotton Bowl. I've been saying that for years. That would be so awesome to play outdoors on a grass field like Lilly and Meredith did. I'd pay good money to go to that game... As long as Garrett was gone, of course.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Still sickening that Jerry had such an ego he couldn't get out of the way enough to keep Jimmy in place. If Jerry really wanted to be revered and get credit for stuff, he could have been the owner of a team that might have won 4 or 5 straight super bowls and no telling how many in a decade span. BUT NOOOOOOOOO...he had to be drunk fucktard.

still sickens me to this day, I was on cloud nine after winning back to back super bowls and beating the Niners to get there and my heart dropped to the floor when I watched Jimmy and jerris press conference, I wanted to puke. Until that day, I didn't have a problem with jerri, it didn't bother me he fired Landry although I was pissed at him for playing hard ball with Emmets contract. After firing Jimmy and pissing away a chance of a 3-peat, my hate for him began and has only grown since.

You're exactly right, if he could have restrained his drunk ass and given credit where it was due and kept the band together to win the 3-peat and perhaps more and continued with a humble approach, constantly praising and giving credit to others, he would be loved and revered by cowboy fans.

Ironically, by attempting to grab credit he doesn't deserve and stubbornly trying to prove to the world he is a football man, he is reviled by the very fans whose admiration he covets, so much so that his ugly mug cant even be shown on his huge TV in the stadium he built as an homage to his ego.

Top Bottom