Reaction score
When rumors circulated during Chip Kelly's first season with the Eagles that he might go back to college, the team was on it's way to the NFC East title, and laughed off.

Now that the Eagles are currently 4-6 and haven't won a playoff game in two years, the rumors aren't so funny -- and even Kelly's own players don't know what to make of them.

Speaking Tuesday on 94WIP, Eagles offensive tackle Lane Johnson -- who also ripped into the fans -- was asked whether he thinks Chip Kelly will be back next season.

"You know, I really don't know about that. It's tough to say," Johnson said. "I think we did some good things the first two years. Ultimately, we made the playoffs the first year, didn't make a playoff run, you know we lost to the Saints, but I think there's been a lot of good done here. I just think this year's been really tough for us and I'm not sure what the best move is moving forward, but you never know what's going to happen."

That answer certainly is interesting, and comes the same day ESPN's Adam Schefter said in is opinion, Kelly leaving isn't out of the question.

To start, the fact that Johnson says he doesn't know if Kelly will be back next season is pretty telling. You have to wonder how many players with a head coach of Kelly's profile would be unsure if their coach will be back next season.

You also have to wonder if Johnson is the only player who questions if Kelly will be back -- and if the idea that he might leave impacts the way the players view and play for their head coach.

The most interesting part of the answer, however, might be the end.

After referencing the success the Eagles have had in Kelly's first two seasons, Johnson mentions the struggles this year. He ends by questioning what is the best move for the franchise going forward.

The fact Johnson would bring that up, in a question about Kelly moving forward, falls in line what what the offensive tackle had to say after the team's 45-17 loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers this past Sunday in regards to if there is doubt in the Eagles' locker room about Kelly.

"Not so much doubt, just disappointment. It might raise some questions," offensive tackle Lane Johnson said of if he senses the players are questioning Kelly, "but as of right now, we are all just disappointed."'

When pressed on what kind of questions might be raised about Kelly, Johnson pointed to the offense, and mentioned the offensive scheme.

While at this point, all of the opinions and comments are just that -- opinions and comments about a situation that is far from decided.

Still, this isn't exactly the kind of conversation you want surrounding a team that is 4-6 and trying to save their season this Thursday in Detroit.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Had half an eye on that disaster of a game vs the Bucs, and couldn't help thinking that might be the end of him.

That USC job has to be looking really nice right about now.

Reaction score
He's a genius!

Better than Garrett, as a head coach.

Think he made a huge mistake though getting control over personnel also. I can't think of a single head coach who succeeded with duo roles. It's just too much.

Also, still hasnt had a QB worth a shit. Sanchez, Foles, Bradford and whoever else has been there have been proven time and time again to be shitty QB's.

There was a rumor that he could go after Kaeppernick in the offseason. I'd hate to see that because if he could get Kaeppernick playing back how he was for those years under Harbaugh, then I'd genuinely fear the Eagles offense.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Also, still hasnt had a QB worth a shit. Sanchez, Foles, Bradford and whoever else has been there have been proven time and time again to be shitty QB's.
Troy said this morning on his radio show that he still thinks a lot of Kelly and that when you watch the game film, there are WRs running wide open all over the place in his offense, but he just hasn't had a QB who could hit them. Said Bradford was starting to get it, but of course... He got hurt again.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
He's not gonna have a choice if they don't make the playoffs. I live in PA, these Eagles fans want him gone if no playoffs. Most are calling for his head now.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
He's not gonna have a choice if they don't make the playoffs. I live in PA, these Eagles fans want him gone if no playoffs. Most are calling for his head now.

That rarely works re. see how dbair is still posting here.

Reaction score
Chip Kelly: I never talked to USC; Eagles only focus

11/30/2015 2:27:56 PM

Eagles coach Chip Kelly, who has been linked to several major college head-coaching jobs over the past several years, said Monday that he has "never been involved" with any of those situations since he became Eagles coach, Phil Sheridan of ESPN.com reports.

"I've been totally committed [to the Eagles] since Jan. 16, 2013, and that hasn't changed," Kelly said.

When USC announced that interim head coach Clay Helton would remain in charge, there were reports that the school had talked with Kelly.

"I've never spoken to anybody from USC," Kelly said. "I've never emailed anybody from USC, I've never had a phone call from anybody from USC."

One report said that USC officials met with Kelly on Friday in Philadelphia.

"I wasn't in Philadelphia on Friday," Kelly said. "So that's wrong."

Kelly said he was in New Hampshire on Friday, the day after the Eagles lost to the Detroit Lions on Thanksgiving.

"I can't control what's written," Kelly said. "I was never looking at the Florida job last year. I said the same thing. They hired Jim McElwain. They did a great job. Jim's done a great job. I never talked to anybody from Florida.

"I've never discussed a college job since I came here."

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Better than Garrett, as a head coach.

Think he made a huge mistake though getting control over personnel also. I can't think of a single head coach who succeeded with duo roles. It's just too much.

There was a rumor that he could go after Kaeppernick in the offseason. I'd hate to see that because if he could get Kaeppernick playing back how he was for those years under Harbaugh, then I'd genuinely fear the Eagles offense.

Actually I don't think he is, he's just as bad. The only difference is the national media fawned all over his nutsack for an extremely long time.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Troy said this morning on his radio show that he still thinks a lot of Kelly and that when you watch the game film, there are WRs running wide open all over the place in his offense, but he just hasn't had a QB who could hit them. Said Bradford was starting to get it, but of course... He got hurt again.

Troy likes Garrett as a HC too doesn't he?

Reaction score
Troy LOVES Ginger as HC. Said he was already like a head coach when they played together.

One too many concussions for that dumbass.

Reaction score
Too bad his prime lasted 4 years before his brain got turned into egg salad. Romo hasn't even peaked yet and he's one dead Ginger away from winning 6 straight Super Bowls.

Top Bottom