Mr.Po

Reaction score
Norm Hitzges goes off on Jerry Jones, Cowboys in rant: 'Look at a coach you've castrated'

The Dallas Morning News
By SportsDayDFW.com Follow @SportsDayDFW websports@dallasnews.com
Staff

Published: 16 November 2015 06:56 PM
Updated: 16 November 2015 07:07 PM

With the Cowboys in the midst of a seven-game losing streak and a number off-the-field incidents still on the minds of fans, longtime Dallas broadcaster Norm Hitzges put his foot down.

On his show on The Ticket 1310 AM/96.7 FM, Hitzges told co-host Donovan Lewis that "wished to go off on this football team." When Lewis gave the go ahead, Hitzges went on a five-minute rant.

"If you enjoy being laughed at Jerry, then revel in it," Hitzges said. "Climb right into the spotlight and revel in it. Your team is now the most ridiculous team in the National Football League. The pregame shows, the postgame shows, all over network TV, all the commentators, they're laughing at you. They're watching you unravel in public. It's a like a circus, 'Step right up ladies and gentleman and watch the Dallas Cowboys unravel right before your eyes! Look at them in the locker room, fighting and screaming! Look at them on social media! Look at how they look like they don't give a damn on the field! Look at a coach that you have castrated!'

"Does Jason Garrett have any control of personnel? Absolutely not. If he had control of personnel some of the people that started the year on this team wouldn't be here. Does he have any control of discipline? Oh, please. Please. That's funny of a Seinfeld routine."

Hitzges goes on to question whether Garrett even has control of the lineup because Jones made the announcements when Darren McFadden and Matt Cassel became starters.

"Does any other coach in the league have a situation where he's been so neutered? He does not control discipline, he has no final word. Hardy is late for meetings, virtually skips a meeting, any discipline? I don't know. Coach Jones what do you think? You run the team.

"If (Garrett) goes in the locker room and puts hits foot down do 14 people giggle? Or do they sit there tweeting during his talk? If you begged to look ridiculous Jerry you got it. You got it."

Hitzges goes on to mention that Jones should've disciplined Bryant and Hardy for their actions in the last week.

"Doesn't it hurt to keep giving guys like Josh Brent and Joseph Randle and Greg Hardy and ad nauseam chances to play again and they laugh at you? They take your money and shoot you a freakin' finger every week? Where the hell is your soul Jerry? Where the hell is it? Do you not care that everybody laughs like crazy at your football team? It's one thing to lose, it's another thing to lose when you've already sacrificed your damn soul.

"Get your butt down to the locker room Jerry and you discipline. You go locker to locker and tell Cole Beasley, 'Shove that phone as far up as it goes baby. You're off Twitter.' And, 'Dez, you do that again we are going to have to a serious monetary talk pal, and I don't care if I have to discipline you.' Or Hardy, or name it. Pick anybody else who steps out of line, 'I can lose without you guys.'

"This isn't a seven-game losing streak. This is a surrender of your freakin' soul."

On Twitter:
@SportsDayDFW

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Garrett has too much involvement.

This guy can go suck an egg.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
no sympathy. Garrett knew what he was in for when he signed up for this gig. no coach of any real quality would work for Jones.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Color me unimpressed. Like BB said, the dolt knew what he was getting into and now the chickens are coming home to roost after he threw Wade under the bus.

Garrett has a 5 year contract. If he doesn't like something on the field, then act like a damn HC and bench someone. The bottom line is that Garrett doesn't know what to do because he's a novice. He has no bag of experience from which to draw on. Yeah, Jerry is a football idiot....no doubt, but I don;t absolve that red headed useless jerk one bit. He's as much a thief for stealing Jerry's money and posing as a HC. Fucking imposter.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
[video=youtube;JY0Rjaax3ns]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=JY0Rjaax3ns#t=567[/video]

you know it's bad when Bayless, the biggest pro-Dallas hack in the media, calls out Red. he even mocks the clapping!

starts at 9:27

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yeah, don't be deceived guys. Of course there's truth in this, but mostly this is Norm sticking up for his old buddy Garrett, just like he did in 2013 with his "Fire him!!!" rant. Last year he gave Garrett the credit. This year Jerry gets the blame. Typical.

Bottom line is we don't know what Garrett really wants or doesn't want. He hardly seems like some kind of hard ass anyway. He seems pretty non-confrontational in everything he does.

Besides, as said above, he knew better than anyone alive what he was getting into with Jerry. If he really thought he'd be so disadvantaged here, he could have gone somewhere else last year. He still could quit at any time.

Too bad Norm doesn't own a team so he could hire Garrett.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Garrett gets outcoached every Sunday. Is that because Jerry "castrated him"?

Garrett froze his own kicker.... Is that because Jerry "castrated him"?

Garrett is a lousy X and O guy... Is that because Jerry "castrated him"?

Garrett has top players at two of the most important positions in the the game: QB and WR. Add to that a top 10 TE, and one of the top OLs when they play like it. But he can only manage 8-8 consistently.

This current 7 game --- soon to be 8, losing streak cannot be blamed on Jerry. If Jerry is to be blamed for anything, it would be continue to stick with Garrett.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
the castration argument allows those who said Garrett would be a great to still pretend Garrett is a quality NFL coach.

The truth is he sucks. He is nice to the media and gives great coach talk. He can not adjust in-game, his offense is outdated, and he has no pride. He either is spineless to discipline or even coach guys OR he is a willing puppet. I'm not sure which of those is worse.

Reaction score
the castration argument allows those who said Garrett would be a great to still pretend Garrett is a quality NFL coach.

The truth is he sucks. He is nice to the media and gives great coach talk. He can not adjust in-game, his offense is outdated, and he has no pride. He either is spineless to discipline or even coach guys OR he is a willing puppet. I'm not sure which of those is worse.

Or he is really clueless as how to be an effective strategist and leader of all aspects of a team. His constant oblivion really points to the reality that he could be just a QB coach who has some experience with a passing philosophy and he is familiar with running good natured sports programs. He spends a great deal of energy insulating himself with his offensive philosophy of "execution" and the constant regard for the game and the players as a process rather than a responsibility.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Or he is really clueless as how to be an effective strategist and leader of all aspects of a team. His constant oblivion really points to the reality that he could be just a QB coach who has some experience with a passing philosophy and he is familiar with running good natured sports programs. He spends a great deal of energy insulating himself with his offensive philosophy of "execution" and the constant regard for the game and the players as a process rather than a responsibility.

I find it so hard to actually remember him playing football as a Dallas Cowboy under Jimmy Johnson and believe some of the stupid shit he does.

Johnson was a psychologist with personality and emotion, that helped him lead.

His other likely mentor, Nick Saban, has personality as well.

It is like he learned how to coach by being it inserted into his hard drive and it comes off as fake and dishonest. I fail to see how he connects with most players on a personal level.

And no, that's not like Landry. At all. He was a walking encyclopedia of football knowledge. Garrett does not command intellectual respect from anyone, save our idiot owner, who thinks his Ivy League education is intimidating.

Reaction score
Norm is completely full of shit. RB disaster aside, Jerry actually put a decent team together. Even Cassel should have been able to get 2-3 wins. This is all coaching.

Garrett is a nobody. Hell, real OCs like Josh McDaniels and Lane Kiffin both trained under extremely good HCs in successful programs for years and they still suck as head coaches. Ginger isn't even qualified to carry their jocks. He's yet to do anything even remotely interesting to help the team win in 10 seasons or however long.

A good coach in the NFL can change you from Singletary's version of the Niners to the Harbaugh version in just a season. Fuck Garrett.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Aikman gave Hitzges an attaboy on Twitter, which I am sure confused some people.

cml750

Facepalm
Reaction score
While Jerry is obviously a huge problem with this team, that does not get Garrett of the hook. It is Jerry fault for keeping his trainee so long effectively wasting the entire career of our franchise QB who should be HOF bound but will never get there due to he will never win a Superbowl.

Reaction score
Blaming Jerry for obvious fuckups doesn't absolve Garrett of his distinct and equally awful fuckups IMO. Jerry is never going to go back to a coach who won't give him firm control of puppet strings. But that doesn't mean Garrett shouldn't learn how to manage the clock, encourage innovation on offense and defense, and make adjustments on X's and O's. He clearly doesn't do those things, but I don't blame Jerry for that.

I blame Jerry for the general lack of control in the locker room. No matter what Garrett does with the players, if he doesn't stand up to Jerry's meddling, he's not going to have the influence necessary to discipline the team and make personnel decisions like who's the starting QB, RB, or kick returner.

Last edited:

cml750

Facepalm
Reaction score
Blaming Jerry for obvious fuckups doesn't absolve Garrett of his distinct and equally awful fuckups IMO. Jerry is never going to go back to a coach who won't give him firm control of puppet strings. But that doesn't mean Garrett shouldn't learn how to manage the clock, encourage innovation on offense and defense, and make adjustments on X's and O's. He clearly doesn't do those things, but I don't blame Jerry for that.

I blame Jerry for the general lack of control in the locker room. No matter what Garrett does with the players, if he doesn't stand up to Jerry's meddling, he's not going to have the influence necessary to discipline the team and make personnel decisions like who's the starting QB, RB, or kick returner.

Excellent post. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Top Bottom