Reaction score
By Mac Engel
tengel@star-telegram.com

TAMPA, Fla. —

The team isn’t distracted, the head coach loves their fight and their spirit, and the starting quarterback returns next week. Do not allow these sleights of hand to distract you from the obvious, that the 2015 season is over for the Dallas Cowboys.

The season unofficially ended Sunday in Tampa with the star wide receiver, Dez Bryant, lobbying for a penalty when he should have been going for the ball on a game-ending interception. He was distracted on the play, just as the entire team has been distracted since long before the season began.

“I think our team has done a really good job of staying focused on what we need to do, and our preparation and our play,” Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said Sunday afternoon.

Sorry, Coach, the results say otherwise. Once again the Dallas Cowboys are again about noise, garbage and controversy rather than wins. Last season was an aberration, and this team still confuses popularity for winning.

The Cowboys’ pathetic 10-6 loss against the Tampa Bay Bucs was one for the wretched books — this is the worst stretch in the 26 years of the Jerry Jones era. That covers the first season of his tenure in 1989 when the team was 1-15; it also includes the glory days under Dave Campo, Chan Gailey and Wade Phillips.

“There being absolutely nothing positive that you can say about where we are,” Jerry said after yet another loss. “We’re not getting it done, and that’s beginning with me.”

On this one, no one will disagree with the Cowboys’ general manager.

This loss is one for the wretched books — this is the worst stretch in the 26 years of the Jerry Jones era.

The season will be placed on the broken clavicle suffered by Tony Romo in Week 2, but this is on the brain trust that simply refuses to read from anything but The Book of Dumb. This season is on Jerry, Stephen, Coach Process, and throw Charlotte in the kettle, too.

On Sunday, there was Jerry’s first coach, Jimmy Johnson, saying on the Fox pregame show that part of Garrett’s problem is that the players know they don’t have to answer to their coach but to their owner, whom he called “an enabler.”

A little bit earlier, there were the guys on the NFL Network show debating Dez’s latest “I hate the media rant” from earlier in the week. And we have not talked about Greg Hardy, who had to be separated from teammate DeMarcus Lawrence on the sideline after Tank took exception to the Kraken’s leadership methods.

Neither Tank nor the Kraken took questions from the media, but their teammates explained it as a nothing. Compile all of these “nothings” from Hardy this season and it is at least a something.

I don’t care how bad the NFC East is, embrace the stench and go for a top-five pick in the draft. While you’re at it, cut Hardy, too.

Controversy, noise and reality TV-style plot twists are entertaining, but they don’t do much to help a football team win games, which is what the Cowboys were originally rooted in.

The season is gone, and that locker room on Sunday afternoon knew it, too. I don’t care how bad the NFC East is, embrace the stench and go for a top five pick in the draft. While you’re at it, cut Hardy, too.

Everything you needed to know about this season was on full display Sunday. The offense scored six pitiful points. Dan Bailey made two field goals, but missed a third. Dez caught five passes, but had a few drops, and failed to even go for the ball on the decisive play in the end zone. The defense finally generated two turnovers, yet allowed rookie QB Jameis Winston to bumble his way down the field for a game-winning score in the final minute.

When this team has to make a play to win, it has lost on the road, at home, against the good and the bad.

It looks exactly like 2008. The ’07 team was close, and Jerry paid everybody; he brought in Pacman Jones, Tank Johnson and he traded for Roy Williams; Romo suffered an injury, and the team missed the playoffs.

Jerry paid lots of people in this off-season — Garrett, defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli, offensive coordinator Scott Linehan, Dez, Doug Free, Tyrone Crawford, Orlando Scandrick — and they signed one rather giant knucklehead in Hardy. They trusted linebacker Rolando McClain, and running back Joseph Randle. They built a defense around the injury-prone Sean Lee. They banked on a brilliant offensive line to turn ish running backs into great running backs.

Romo is hurt, Hardy is a walking distraction that can’t sack quarterbacks, and McClain is finished.

After the game, Ro’ told the Star-Telegram’s Drew Davison that his thoughts are with the people in Paris, after the tragic terrorist attack over the weekend.

“There’s things bigger than football,” he said. “That’s exactly how I feel. That’s what’s on my mind.”

This bout of compassion does not explain his performance before this tragedy. He is an immense waste of talent.

Randle has been cut, Lee is out with a concussion, and Darren McFadden has the Cowboys’ two 100-yard running games this season.

The only positive going for Garrett is that his team has not quit, but after Sunday’s loss that might be out of his hands. It does not get Garrett off the hook. No NFL team with this much talent should go 0-7, even without its star quarterback. At worst the Cowboys should have won three of these Romo-less games, and that is on the coach.

The season is over, and now we can start looking at the mock drafts and praying for the day the Cowboys are smart enough to celebrate wins as much as ratings, page views and Facebook likes.

Read more here: Distracted Cowboys proving 2014 was an aberration | The Star-Telegram

Reaction score
Jason Garrett said:
“I think our team has done a really good job of staying focused on what we need to do, and our preparation and our play,” Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said Sunday afternoon.

Clearly, coach. Clearly.

You fucking schmuck.

Reaction score
I mean for fucks sake... enough of the sunshine and butterflies, always looking for a silver lining bullshit. This god damned motherfucking clown is such a clueless fucking fuckhead. It's no wonder his message is lost on the team - he's too full of shit. Has no credibility when he spews bullshit like that after a seven god damned game losing streak.

Fuck you Jason Garrett.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It looks exactly like 2008. The ’07 team was close, and Jerry paid everybody; he brought in Pacman Jones, Tank Johnson and he traded for Roy Williams; Romo suffered an injury, and the team missed the playoffs.

This was a good catch and not something I'd thought of this season; it's almost a repeat of of 2008 except that 2008 team didn't play well before Romo was injured (not that we were playing well this year either).

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Or more like 2010 after 2009.

I get the Tank-Pacman/Hardy parallel, but at least in 2008 we did finish 9-7, and in fact never had a losing record at any point of the year. Romo got hurt for three games but at least we were able to win one of those when our D held Tampa to three FGs to win an ugly offensive game. Of course JG's old buddy Brad Johnson couldn't throw the ball 20 yards down the field.

This to me is more like 2010 when the team just fell apart. Only reason that was a game yesterday is because we played an awful team. If we'd played a top team like we did in 2010 at Green Bay as opposed to a wretched Bucs team, this one could have been 45-7 also.

Last edited:

Bluenoser

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Fuck off it was an abberation. We lost twice in OT and lost by 1,4 and 7. If Romo was healthy we would probably be at 7-2

Reaction score
Fuck off it was an abberation. We lost twice in OT and lost by 1,4 and 7. If Romo was healthy we would probably be at 7-2

Seven game losing streak against some shitty teams.

Seven. Game. Losing. Streak.

In a parity driven league.

But please, keep trying to tell me how good we woulda/coulda/shoulda be.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
This was a good catch and not something I'd thought of this season; it's almost a repeat of of 2008 except that 2008 team didn't play well before Romo was injured (not that we were playing well this year either).

I said the same thing a few weeks ago. Think I got the year wrong though. I said 09.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Of all the idiocy that comes out of this guys mouth, this absolutely, positively takes the cake and proves what a bumbling fucking fool he really is. "really good job staying focused" ???? WTF???

“There being absolutely nothing positive that you can say about where we are,” Jerry said after yet another loss. “We’re not getting it done, and that’s beginning with me.”

Memo to Red Headed Fucktard, this quote doesn't make it sound very good for your future here. If he gets canned though, somehow that migh make this season a "success" story.

Reaction score

Yes and no. Until 2 years ago when Murray ran for 1100 yards, the Cowboys offense had a tough time in the red zone year after year. Under Jason the offense averaged about 2.5 TDs per game mainly because the Jason has an offensive pass philosophy which gets shut down in the red zone mainly because of lack of space. Unless there are intentional and well orchestrated plays in the red zone, you basically need an improviser like Romo to make things happen.

Now take Romo out of the mix, and truly the offense is lost and feckless in the red zone - running the same scheme and plays that they have all game and all year expecting different results.

To your point, If Dallas were to manage more one solid touchdown drive in 6 of the seven games (including the Falcon game), they could theoretically be 8-1. But they still have a head coach who will not allow drastic changes his offense, will not learn from his mistakes - and most importantly will not build the team around previous successes. He has no plan. He just keeps making mantras, clapping and doing things the same way he always has (the end of the Tampa game was just one more highlight in Jason's game mismanagement reel).

Just like the 8-8 years, they had their chances and their own coach destroyed those chances.

Frankly they had a huge chance last year against Green Bay and once they had the lead, their own coach called those same old failing pass plays when it was their running plays that were providing the offense with drive endurance and the defense with rest.

Yes Dallas has been in each game but no, they had no chance even before kickoff as long as Romo wasn't there to fix the flaws of the head coach.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
And everyone but cmd could see Rolando McClain falling off this year. You simply can not trust the guy.

I don't care how mean and how hard you hit if you can't act professionally at the same time.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Well worth those 4 sacks.

Time to revisit the Hardy sack prediction thread?

He looks like he has checked out after a couple or three impressive games to start his career here. He isn't worth the distractions anymore.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
And everyone but cmd could see Rolando McClain falling off this year. You simply can not trust the guy.

I don't care how mean and how hard you hit if you can't act professionally at the same time.

Problem is he hasn't hit anyone mean and hard all yr. He's also been hopeless in coverage.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Problem is he hasn't hit anyone mean and hard all yr. He's also been hopeless in coverage.

That's why I said he's so untrustworthy. Like the article said and what I was calling for all offseason was not banking on the dud. But cmd, 'we need nasty!'

I wish now that I could have spent more time looking up Ro's personal number so that I could have set up a meet between the 2.

Top Bottom