Reaction score
Cowboys defensive end Greg Hardy found the spotlight for his aggressive sideline behavior in Sunday's loss to the Giants. Three days earlier, Hardy was on his team's radar for other reasons.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported on Monday's edition of Around The NFL that Hardy did not participate in practice on Thursday morning and failed to reach out to the team, prompting Cowboys officials to make a series of calls to find out why their defensive end was not at the team facility.

It took most of Thursday morning to locate Hardy, according to Rapoport. The Cowboys listed an illness as Hardy's official reason for missing practice.

It's the latest eyebrow-raising incident involving Hardy, who recently returned from a four-game suspension stemming from a 2014 domestic violence incident that ended his Panthers career and landed him on the Exempt/Commissioner's Permission List for the final 15 games of the 2014 season.

In the fourth quarter of Sunday's loss to the Giants, Hardy entered the Cowboys' special teams huddle and slapped the clipboard of special teams coach Rich Bisaccia. Hardy also got into a verbal confrontation with wide receiver Dez Bryant. Cowboys coach Jason Garrett told reporters on Monday that Hardy would not be disciplined for his actions.

If you think Hardy's marriage with the Cowboys won't end on good terms, just know you're not alone.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Wow, this thing has gone south even faster than I thought it could.

And this is the kind of stuff that can implode the whole team. Jerry's as large and in charge as ever, letting star players get away with anything and everything.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Meh. Hardy is the least of our worries. He's not the reason why we lost. Remindes me of Haley, just a volatile individual.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Does anyone here think this comparison between Hardy and Haley are off base? Yeah, Haley was a nut but I don't defend Hardy by pointing to Haley who never went at a coach.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
And this is the kind of stuff that can implode the whole team. Jerry's as large and in charge as ever, letting star players get away with anything and everything.

Yeah....in that interview with Jerry he all but said Hardy can go after who ever he wants and it's not off limits, or something to that effect. I just think the fact that he went after a coach is really off limits and took it too far.

Reaction score
Does anyone here think this comparison between Hardy and Haley are off base? Yeah, Haley was a nut but I don't defend Hardy by pointing to Haley who never went at a coach.

They aren't identical cases, but no, I don't think the comparisons are off base. Both players are/were essentially psycho and in part are/were great because they are so volatile.

The biggest difference is today's media coverage. It is much more difficult for a mentally unstable star player to fly (mostly) under the radar now. There is too much air-time to fill and too many fans enjoy the media's make-dramas.

It is yet another symptom of the pussification of football.

Reaction score
They aren't identical cases, but no, I don't think the comparisons are off base. Both players are/were essentially psycho and in part are/were great because they are so volatile.

The biggest difference is today's media coverage. It is much more difficult for a mentally unstable star player to fly (mostly) under the radar now. There is too much air-time to fill and too many fans enjoy the media's make-dramas.

It is yet another symptom of the pussification of football.

I agree with this as a whole but I think Hardy's behavior is due in large part to his recognition that he has a puppet for a head coach.

Jerry saddled Parcells with TO but that was one season where TO actually was neutered and quiet. Parcells handled his volatility perfectly. Wouldn't even refer to him by name. He won the psych battle and as soon as he left, TO started acting out and causing all kinds of drama.

I'm sure Haley would have eaten ginger alive. No way was he gonna get too out of line with Jimmy though.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

I don't care if you think it's off base or not. I was pointing out that both are very volatile individuals --- same temperament.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Does anyone here think this comparison between Hardy and Haley are off base?
I kind of do, too. There are similarities for sure, but I think it's a little unfair to Haley to claim they're the same case. Haley had bipolar issues and maybe Hardy does also, but now when you hear Haley interviewed he's a pretty calm, normal guy. Hardy pretty much always seems to have a screw loose.

It reminds me of when people compare Dez to Irvin. Maybe on the sideline they're similar, but to me Dez is a genuinely good kid who just gets overly excited and hyped up. Irvin did a lot of dark stuff off the field and almost killed a teammate over a damn haircut.

Reaction score
Michael Irvin is a crazy mf'er. I mean, he had a hit put out on him and he most certainly did lots of crack. That's another level.

I agree about Dez. He's harmless.

Reaction score
That and the twitter-verse would have never let Haley be as under the radar as he was.

Reaction score
LOL You can't make this shit up.

Jerry Jones: Cowboys didn't discuss disciplining Greg Hardy and want a long-term deal

By Jon Machota
Staff Writer

Following Sunday's loss to the New York Giants, Jerry Jones talked about Greg Hardy being "one of the real leaders" on the team when asked about his fourth-quarter sideline outburst.

The Cowboys owner and general manager said Hardy's actions were the type that inspire those around him. But Jones also acknowledged that he had not seen the entire episode.

Did his view change after getting an opportunity to watch an animated Hardy slap at a coach's clipboard and shove several teammates?

"I don't have any different view than I had Sunday," Jones said Tuesday morning on 105.3 The Fan's Shan and RJ show [KRLD-FM].

Jones said the Cowboys had no discussions about disciplining Hardy for his actions and confirmed what executive vice president Stephen Jones said Monday, they would like to reach a long-term deal with the 27-year-old.

"When we initially signed, talked to him, asked him to join the team, it was not only with the idea of a short-term [deal] but a long-term [deal]," Jones said. "Relatively speaking, he's a young player and he certainly has the kinds of skills and impact that we want to look to the future with, with the Cowboys."

Jones didn't seem bothered when asked about those who consider him an enabler to Hardy's actions. He said those same comments were already made when the Cowboys signed the controversial defensive end to a one-year contract in March.

"I really do understand completely their perspective and they know, I don't need to say it again, in no way is anybody anything but against any type of domestic violence," Jones said. "We won't get into that, that's not the point. We're talking about the sideline, but you're going to go ahead and take me on over to that aspect of it.

"But the most comments I got on enabling was when we signed him. It looks like you're basically condoning domestic violence, which is not the case."

Reaction score
I wonder where you draw the line. Like does he have to stab a coach or maybe even go as far as dissing the stadium art collection in order to not get an extension?

Will be interesting to watch.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I don't care if you think it's off base or not. I was pointing out that both are very volatile individuals --- same temperament.
Haley kept his antics mostly confined to the dressing room though. But yeah, he was definitely a nutter.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
LOL You can't make this shit up.

Jerry Jones: Cowboys didn't discuss disciplining Greg Hardy and want a long-term deal

By Jon Machota
Staff Writer

Following Sunday's loss to the New York Giants, Jerry Jones talked about Greg Hardy being "one of the real leaders" on the team when asked about his fourth-quarter sideline outburst.

The Cowboys owner and general manager said Hardy's actions were the type that inspire those around him. But Jones also acknowledged that he had not seen the entire episode.

Did his view change after getting an opportunity to watch an animated Hardy slap at a coach's clipboard and shove several teammates?

"I don't have any different view than I had Sunday," Jones said Tuesday morning on 105.3 The Fan's Shan and RJ show [KRLD-FM].

Jones said the Cowboys had no discussions about disciplining Hardy for his actions and confirmed what executive vice president Stephen Jones said Monday, they would like to reach a long-term deal with the 27-year-old.

"When we initially signed, talked to him, asked him to join the team, it was not only with the idea of a short-term [deal] but a long-term [deal]," Jones said. "Relatively speaking, he's a young player and he certainly has the kinds of skills and impact that we want to look to the future with, with the Cowboys."

Jones didn't seem bothered when asked about those who consider him an enabler to Hardy's actions. He said those same comments were already made when the Cowboys signed the controversial defensive end to a one-year contract in March.

"I really do understand completely their perspective and they know, I don't need to say it again, in no way is anybody anything but against any type of domestic violence," Jones said. "We won't get into that, that's not the point. We're talking about the sideline, but you're going to go ahead and take me on over to that aspect of it.

"But the most comments I got on enabling was when we signed him. It looks like you're basically condoning domestic violence, which is not the case."

Sometimes I wonder how I'm still a fan of this team.

Top Bottom