Reaction score
Columnist Rick Gosselin held a chat this week where he discussed the Cowboys. Here are some highlights.

It is pretty clear that Jason Garrett is a mediocre head coach, at best, but do the Cowboys miss Bill Callahan more than one would expect? The O-line seems to have regressed quite a bit.

Gosselin: "Callahan was the best coach on that staff these last few years. Now he's in Washington and the Redskins have one of the better rushing attacks. I think the running game misses Callahan. The running game last season made everyone better. Tony Romo was a better quarterback, Garrett a better head coach, Rod Marinelli a better defensive coordinator. Without a running game to lean on, everyone seems to be struggling this season."

Other than a competent backup quarterback and a No. 1 running back, what is this Cowboys team missing? Is there anything holding them back from becoming an elite team?

Gosselin: "I wouldn't be surprised if there are two new starters on the offensive line next season. This line has not played up to its billing this season. The age of the quarterback is a concern. Romo is 36 next season. The Cowboys better get the heir apparent there. It was disappointing to me that they didn't upgrade the backup quarterback position nor draft a running back this past offseason. The situation might not seem as dire as it is now if they had."

Your thought on the O-line and run blocking? My two cents - They get no push, often pushed back past the line of scrimmage. Blaming eight men in the box is a nice excuse, but if you can't win one on ones, it doesn't matter how many you are facing.

Gosselin: "I saw more eight- and nine-men defensive fronts than I could count in the early 1990s when the Cowboys had Emmitt Smith and an offensive line that truly belonged in the discussion as the best offensive line in football, maybe in history. Right now this line needs a lot of work to repair its reputation as the best OL in the NFL. Not enough push, too many penalties, not enough protection for the quarterback. This OL is one of the bigger disappointments on this team right now."

One problem that the Cowboys have - they cannot run the ball on first down. This immediately puts any QB, not just Brandon Weeden, under pressure. Maybe the O-line isn't as good as last year, but.....maybe.... they also miss DeMarco Murray a little more than they care to admit?

Gosseln: "The Cowboys miss Murray and Murray misses the Cowboys. He was an 1,800-yard rusher. Those guys don't come along too often. And they Cowboys let him walk. I can understand that. At is age, the wall was fast approaching a player at his position and you didn't want to get tied up long term. It's just too bad the Cowboys couldn't have worked out a deal with Bryant earlier and then used the franchise tag on Murray. The Cowboys wouldn't be in the fix they are now if Murray was still in the backfield. But the decision came down to money for Murray, so he took the money and ran to Philadelphia. Now both Murray and the Cowboys must live with the consequences."

RB Christine Michael looked good on his only run. How about more opportunities?

Gosselin: "Agreed. I'd be surprised if he's not a bigger factor after the bye. The Cowboys have two weeks to work with him and get him up to speed with the offense. This running game needs a jump start and a physical runner like Michael can provide it. Joseph Randle and Darren McFadden want to run outside. The Cowboys need to re-establish an identity for toughness for both this OL and the running game -- and that comes running tackle to tackle. Michael is the only back that gives them that chance right now."

Is not drafting a RB this year coming back to bite the Cowboys?

Gosselin: "Yes, indeed. It was as good a running back class as I've seen in at least five years. This would have been a good time to grab a Tevin Coleman or a Duke Johnson or a David Johnson. They have to find one next year -- and they also have to find a young quarterback to get into the pipeline and start developing."

Why doesn`t Dallas use LG La'el Collins more?

Gosselin: "After Ronald Leary's performance against the Patriots, you may see more of Collins after the bye."

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The Cowboys wouldn't be in the fix they are now if Murray was still in the backfield.
Bullshit. You're assuming they would still be giving him 400 carries. That was never the plan for this year. That's the whole reason why they weren't too worried about signing him.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The one place we were most dominant last year was the run game. And we let both Callahan and the league leading rusher walk. Now look where we are now? I do wish we would have kept Callahan but I don't mind letting Murray walk. But we should have replaced him with someone and not hoped this RBBC shit was gonna save the day. We see where that got us.

Unless C Mike steps up and starts to dominate we are going to be relegated to the middle of the pack when it comes to the run game for the rest of the year.

Without a decent threat in the run game our QB and passing game suffer. Not to mention clock management.

Not having a dominant run games hampers the other aspects of our game.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The one place we were most dominant last year was the run game. And we let both Callahan and the league leading rusher walk. Now look where we are now? I do wish we would have kept Callahan but I don't mind letting Murray walk. But we should have replaced him with someone and not hoped this RBBC shit was gonna save the day. We see where that got us.

Unless C Mike steps up and starts to dominate we are going to be relegated to the middle of the pack when it comes to the run game for the rest of the year.

Without a decent threat in the run game our QB and passing game suffer. Not to mention clock management.

Not having a dominant run games hampers the other aspects of our game.

Do you really think that even if we kept both Callahan and Murray, that the Cowboys would give Murray approximately another 400 carries? The Cowboys' success last year was based upon Murray getting those number of carries. Show me a time in NFL history, where an RB received nearly 400 carries in consecutive seasons or nearly that many carries at least twice in their careers?

I call bullshit. The Cowboys' current predicament is not as simple as "the result of departures Callahan and Murray". If we'd kept them, we still be in this situation three reasons: 1.) no Romo. 2.) no Dez. and 3.) Garrett being Garrett and limiting Linehan's playcalling. Besides... it's not like either Murray or Callahan are blazing trails at their current settings. Those games that we lost... we likely win them --- yes even the Patriots, if we had Romo and Dez, or do you think Murray and Callahan are worth as much or more than Romo and Dez? No Romo and Dez, then add Garrett's fuckery to the mix, and this is what you get.

As for not having a dominant run game... I'd settle for having a competent run game. But that would require having a competent HC, that would not be so quick to abandon the run game, because he has no desire to employ the run game.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I never said anything about Romo or Dez

I said I wish we didn't lose Callahan. Both our o line and rushing has dropped off since he left. I also said I didn't mind letting Murray walk. But we should have replaced him with someone. Meaning not believing that this RBBC shit would be as effective behind what was considered by most as the best o line in the NFL last year. The o line has dropped off from last year. Our rushing has dropped off from last year.

You are correct in that no rushing leader with over 390 carries has Ever Come back the following season and even rushed for 1k yards.

I knew Murray would never again achieve the success that he had last year and I bet my PHI buddies $100 each that he wouldn't even make 1k this year behind the PHI

so I have been loving his miserable performance thus far. Especially when we held him to two yards!

But I digress....

The Redskins were 19th in rushing last year and they are 9th this year. Their rushing yards per game has increased over last year. So Callahan has made a difference

Murray at PHI has become a very expensive boat anchor. He's starting to actually get positive yards now so I'm sure he will turn it around. But Chip will never give him enough carries for him to have great success. He's just a wheel in the cog and no longer a featured back.

Had he of stayed in Dallas I would guess that we would have tried the same RBBC with him as well. But we probably would have found out that he is more beneficial as a featured back. But I don't think they would ever ride him hard like they did last year. But at least we would have a productive back that we could count on as opposed to our joke of a RBBC backfield we have now. Would he be the answer to all our woes? Not even close. But our running game would be better off with him than with this RBBC shit we are running this year.

Do I want him back? Hell no! But I do believe we need someone to better fill his role. Who that might be I have no idea. Hopefully C Mile proves he's worth the loss of the picks we are giving up to get him. But I doubt he will be.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I never said anything about Romo or Dez.

No. I did. You suggested or inferred that the reason the Cowboys' current state is because of the loss of Murray and Callahan. What I contend is that had we both Romo and Dez healthy, those games that we lost, we likely would have won; and as such, we would not be having this discussion about either Callahan and/or Murray. They'd be afterthoughts.

The Redskins were 19th in rushing last year and they are 9th this year. Their rushing yards per game has increased over last year. So Callahan has made a difference.

Has he? The Redskins rushing attack being 9th shows a rapid decline that you neglect to observe and thus mention. Do you recall these posts by both you and Everlastingxxx from about a month ago?

Redskins have the #1 rushing attack. Callahan working his magic.

Exactly
Everywhere he goes that team will be able to block and open holes for the run game.

So they went from being #1, to now at #9 in just a matter of a couple of games. A rapid decline. I guess Callahan IS making a difference.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I agree that if we had them both for those games we probably wouldn't have lost

But I was just talking specifically about our poor running game because of Callahan/Murray being gone

I do believe that our running game will improve once Dez is back because he will help loosen up defenses and they won't be as willing or able to stack the box against us. But even when teams stacked 8-9 in the box against us last year we were still able to run the ball

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
It's all if if if.

IF we still had both Callahan and Murray, there is every chance we still couldn't run the ball. It's a dumb topic from a dumb writer..

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
It's all if if if.

IF we still had both Callahan and Murray, there is every chance we still couldn't run the ball. It's a dumb topic from a dumb writer..

Exactly. Interesting that without Dez and Romo, we're passing the ball more, when you'd think it'd be the opposite. Garrett's fingerprints no doubt.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Has he? The Redskins rushing attack being 9th shows a rapid decline that you neglect to observe and thus mention. Do you recall these posts by both you and Everlastingxxx from about a month ago?

So they went from being #1, to now at #9 in just a matter of a couple of games. A rapid decline. I guess Callahan IS making a difference.

they were 1st in rushing and have declined to 9th. That's still an improvement over 19th from last season. They may end up the same as last year by the end of the season. Who knows. But so far they are much improved over last year.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
they were 1st in rushing and have declined to 9th. That's still an improvement over 19th from last season. They may end up the same as last year by the end of the season. Who knows. But so far they are much improved over last year.

They've dropped 8 slots within 2 games and over a quarter of the season stretch. That shows a trend --- a declining trend. And an "improvement" from #19 over a cumulative 16 game season and you're trying to compare that to the FIRST QUARTER OF THE SEASON...? Are you serious? If you are going to make a logical comparison, you at least have to have similar parameters, like comparing last seasons' first quarter of the season, with this years. Or... wait until the entire season is played, and then make such a comparison.

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
My thoughts are, Dez held out all off season, showed up in shape... sorta to TC. Hurt his hammy, because he sat out of all the mini camps. Which resulted in him being very rusty. FF to 1st game, he gets what, one or two catches, breaks his foot and no one is scared of the passing game anymore. You could put anyone back there and they'd have the rushing yards we've had since then. 2nd game we do alright dinking and dunking, Tony goes down. Philly doesn't know how to change defense in 2nd half we still win. 3rd game, Weeden fully in charge. Everyone's heard he is doing better, he makes short passes to the only rb on the team that can catch and we do well in the 1st half, 2nd half that rb goes down, seriously no one is now scared of the running game or the passing game, because Weeden can't make a pass beyond 8 yards and no one can get open since they are now stuffing the box and anyone past 8 yards is out of the game plan.

Now, 4th game, New Orleans... a QB that is coming off what I think is a real torn rotator cuff injury beats us because now our offense can't stay on the field unless the defense gets a penalty. Our defense suffers and then get tired. Oline gives up on Weeden, Wide Outs give up on Weeden, by end of game it is apparent Weeden needs to go to Jerry. Team gets Cassell almost there, but we play the fucking Pattys Weeden gets one more nod as Cassell isn't quite there. The entire time is done with Weeden at this point, we have what 60 yards of offense in the 1st half. Defense plays lights out getting sack after sack. Offense continues 3 and out after 3 and out, because Weeden sucks. We know this. The coaches know this. Jerry knows this. Hell, even Weeden knows he sucks monster dong. Go into bye.

We miss Callahan, sure. But we Miss Tony, Dez, and Dunbar a whole lot more. Throw in that our Defense was down to 4th string at one point in the 3 and 4th games on the line and Sean Lee started being Sean Lee again. We've yet to see the whole team on the same page with the projected starters on the field yet. No head coach with a loss of their QB and #1 wide out is going to be able to get a run game going when the only passes you can or could complete with ths back up QB is 8 or less yards mins a few fluke plays here and there.

Last edited:

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
They've dropped 8 slots within 2 games and over a quarter of the season stretch. That shows a trend --- a declining trend. And an "improvement" from #19 over a cumulative 16 game season and you're trying to compare that to the FIRST QUARTER OF THE SEASON...? Are you serious? If you are going to make a logical comparison, you at least have to have similar parameters, like comparing last seasons' first quarter of the season, with this years. Or... wait until the entire season is played, and then make such a comparison.

Here are the rushing stats after 5 games
524 total yards
104 avg
609 total yards
121 avg

Again....
An increase over last year at the same point in the season

My point was that our running game has declined with the loss of Callahan and the Redskins has improved with the addition of Callahan

Comparing apples to apples proves that to be true

Now is Callahan the sole contributing factor to both? Of course not, but he is the common factor

Comparing apples to apples as you suggested the theory still rings true

The Redskins are an improved rushing team over last year at the same point in the season

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Here are the rushing stats after 5 games
524 total yards
104 avg
609 total yards
121 avg

Again....
An increase over last year at the same point in the season

My point was that our running game has declined with the loss of Callahan and the Redskins has improved with the addition of Callahan

Comparing apples to apples proves that to be true

Now is Callahan the sole contributing factor to both? Of course not, but he is the common factor

Comparing apples to apples as you suggested the theory still rings true

The Redskins are an improved rushing team over last year at the same point in the season

Are you including QB rushing attempts in those totals? Because you can have a QB that gets flushed out of the pocket, and runs for yards, and it will add to it. PERSPECTIVE. Try it.

BTW... how did the Redskins do on the ground today? I'll wait.

Reaction score
The team is not acknowledging the Callahan factor at all and I wouldn't anticipate that the greatest threat (Callahan) to Jason's coaching job, his passing game, his system (any success of the nuances of the WCO are threats to a low percentage pass system) would be brought up as a solution for what is ailing the team. Linehan was brought in to run Jason's offense. Callahan ran Callahan's plays that Linehan would call within Jason's formations and passing philosophies.

But just take a step back and look at the running plays themselves this year. They are very predictable in where they are going and there is very little question about when a running play is about to be run. Deception is outlawed in Jason's offense but at least Callahan varied the gaps for runcall, he would stretch the play and have the TE and OT wall a defender inside for a cutback (which is a staple of a WCO running play - Harbaugh ran the same plays with Gore on the Niners).

There appears to be no creative thought or deceptive variation in the run plays (we know the pass plays are not allowed to really be anything but "executed" so there is not surprise there) but last year, Murray was able to run all over the line and not just left right left right. Whatever Callahan brought to the team, Linehan is not doing the same at all. CMike and DMC should have the lanes to run as long as the defenders are not so absolutely certain about where the play is going that they can just position themselves in the gap to stop the play...as they have been doing.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Are you including QB rushing attempts in those totals? Because you can have a QB that gets flushed out of the pocket, and runs for yards, and it will add to it. PERSPECTIVE. Try it.

BTW... how did the Redskins do on the ground today? I'll wait.

They did shitty. It happens. Ask Demarco Murray
They had 34 yards
Add that to the 5 game total of 609 and you have 643
Last years total after 6 games 596

Still an increase over last year

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm sure they miss Callahan. Just like they miss Murray, the healthy OL, Romo and Dez.

Callahan is the least of the issues among those I listed.

Reaction score
I'm sure they miss Callahan. Just like they miss Murray, the healthy OL, Romo and Dez.

Callahan is the least of the issues among those I listed.

For sure.
Is not drafting a RB this year coming back to bite the Cowboys?

Gosselin: "Yes, indeed. It was as good a running back class as I've seen in at least five years. This would have been a good time to grab a Tevin Coleman or a Duke Johnson or a David Johnson. They have to find one next year

I was stunned when the Cowboys managed to avoid drafting an RB in 2015 ... given both the team's obvious need to replace Murray and the RB talent that was available.

Now I'm just pissed off.

Oh well.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
The Chaz Green pick is definitely worth questioning in regards to ignoring the RB situation, but honestly after the early/mid 3rd rd there werent many sure things. Even some of the "sure things" havent performed very well. I feel about 100% they'd have picked a RB in gregory's spot had he not been there. Round one wasnt an option unless they were going to reach.

I think they were definitely looking at RB in round 4 but the guys they liked got snatched.

Reaction score
I think the front office just didn't place much of a priority on drafting an RB. Had the position been a priority, the team could have traded up or down to get one.

As it is, we are reduced to hoping that a Seattle scrub will save the day.

Top Bottom