Reaction score
Make a mistake letting him go?

Notice how there's not the gaping holes in our run game. Run game overall has been underwhelming. QB seriously injured by a free rusher. Pass protection hasn't been all that.

Overall the OL, strength of our team all last year and who came into the season as the alleged best in the league, has just been kind of meh.

Thoughts?

Reaction score
Let me say it first before bozo does:

Underrate Callahan? Yeah, ok.

Why need Callahan when you shift TE left and run left and then shift TE right and run right? Callahan is an unnecessary luxury, as the Falcons game taught us, you only need 2 kinds of running plays in this National Football League full of professional football players.

Reaction score
I don’t know if Callahan is the reason the O-line has looked average. It’s possible. I don’t think Martin looks the same. Maybe he isn’t 100%. Pass protection wasn’t always perfect last season either. Maybe teams are scheming the Cowboys run game better? D Coordinators had all off season to dissect it. The O-line has a bulls eye aimed at them and could be used as a measuring stick. Scheme looks the same but maybe Callahan provided in game adjustments.

Last edited:
Reaction score

Why need Callahan when you shift TE left and run left and then shift TE right and run right? Callahan is an unnecessary luxury, as the Falcons game taught us, you only need 2 kinds of running plays in this National Football League full of professional football players.

LOL

Reaction score

:lol :lol

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I always said you don't need three first round draft picks to make a good o-line. You need excellent coaching with coachable, capable motivated players.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Three (really four) first round players tends to help though.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Nobody underrated him.

We didn't have a choice to let him go, his contract was up and he wanted to leave. remember he worked for Gruden's bro in Oakland and they are pals.

That said, the OL we had last yr isn't exactly the same right now. Leary has hardly practiced or played for the majority of camp/preseason and now early season. Martin had a very significant injury which at first the team feared might be season ending, and Free is still battling the foot problem that caused him to miss half of last season.

Even with them being "average" the pass protection for the most part has been exceptional.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
He wanted out because Garrett pissed him off so much. Who can blame him on that.

And yeah, he's a great coach and we're going to miss him. It's not just putting in a system and running drills at practice, it's making little in-game adjustments to things the defense is doing. That's where we don't know if Pollack will be as good, and he probably won't be.

Side note on the OL: I wonder if Fred is hurt. He almost has to be. He's getting beat and even pushed straight back into the backfield at times, and I don't remember that ever happening his first two years. If nothing else the dude has to be as strong as any C in the league.

Last edited:

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
He wanted out because Garrett pissed him off so much. Who can blame him on that.

All of them hate Garrett dont they TE?

Oh wait, Marinelli chose to stay didnt he?

And yeah, he's a great coach and we're going to miss him. It's not just putting in a system and running drills at practice, it's making little in-game adjustments to things the defense is doing. That's where we don't know if Pollack will be as good, and he probably won't be.

Didnt Callahan basically hire Pollack because of previous connections? (maybe Pollack had played for him somewhere or something, cant remember)

Side note on the OL: I wonder if Fred is hurt. He almost has to be. He's getting beat and even pushed straight back into the backfield at times, and I don't remember that ever happening his first two years. If nothing else the dude has to be as strong as any C in the league.

Havent noticed him struggling. Martin I think might be struggling somewhat because of that bad stinger still and I have noticed Free struggle some. Fred and T Smith have looked fine though IMO. I also thought Lael Collins played pretty well last week.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
All of them hate Garrett dont they TE?
No they don't... They have no reason to because he doesn't mess with them. You think he ever goes into Marinelli's office and tells him how to run his defense? :lol

But he did mess with Callahan by all accounts.

And I do think Fred struggled, which is very unusual. That's why I wonder if he's hurt in some way.

Collins may have done okay, but on the postgame show (which I only caught the end of), they were acting like a big problem has been Leary's absence. Now maybe that's excuse-making, I don't know. But they went on and on about how underrated he is, how when you ask the OL in private who the best player is a bunch of them will say Leary, etc.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Maybe he genuinely didnt like Callahan, I have no idea really. Maybe he never wanted him here.

Thats another reason coaches should be hiring people they want here, and the FO shouldnt have a role in that.

I was reading this article on cbssportsline the other day that said the Colts HC doesnt expect to be back next yr (friction with GM apparently) and that apprently he wanted to make some changes on his staff (they acted like now) but the front office doesnt give him authority to make any changes on his staff, either in firing them or roles within.

I know Jerry has been guilty of this forever and I have heard of some other teams from time to time dictating to the HC who will be on their staff or not, and to me this is just proposterus. How can an owner/GM reasonbly expect a HC to be successful when he doesnt have people on his staff that he wants there and trusts to do their jobs and buy into whatever system/s he has in place?

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
My Offensive Coordinator played for Bill Callahan at Northern Arizona so he is partial but he swears by the guy.

I've also noticed at coaching clinics, even the big AFCA one, Callahan is "the guy" when it comes to O Line coaches. A few years ago, it would have been Alex Gibbs, but Callahan seems to be the big name now.

Reaction score
The success of the Dallas OL didn't hurt Callahan's reputation, that's for sure.

It may be worth saying that it isn't like Callahan enjoyed great success with the likes of David Arkin, Phil Costa, Montrae Holland, Kevin Kowalski, Nate Livings, Pat McQuistan, Jermey Parnell, and Sam Young.

Blue chippers + Callahan = lots of success. Difficult to know how much credit to give whom, though.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The success of the Dallas OL didn't hurt Callahan's reputation, that's for sure.

It may be worth saying that it isn't like Callahan enjoyed great success with the likes of David Arkin, Phil Costa, Montrae Holland, Kevin Kowalski, Nate Livings, Pat McQuistan, Jermey Parnell, and Sam Young.

Blue chippers + Callahan = lots of success. Difficult to know how much credit to give whom, though.
And yet suddenly the no name Washington O-Line is all the rage. Knocking people's heads off and chewing up defensive fronts.

It's attitude.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
And yet suddenly the no name Washington O-Line is all the rage. Knocking people's heads off and chewing up defensive fronts.

It's attitude.

Guess they left the attitude at home last Thursday night

Top Bottom