Reaction score
Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

OXNARD, Calif. -- The Dallas Cowboys will have a decision to make on Rolando McClain’s status to start the season.

With McClain suspended the first four games for violating the NFL’s substance-abuse policy, the Cowboys could elect to leave him on the physically-unable-to perform list, which would cost him the first six weeks of the season.

McClain is recovering from off season knee surgery and is not close to returning to practice just yet.

If the Cowboys choose to keep McClain on PUP to start the season, his suspension would run concurrently, so he would effectively miss five games with the Cowboys’ bye coming in Week 6.

Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones said McClain is at a point in his rehab where he could be ready to go Week 1 against the New York Giants if he were eligible.

“I think he’s working toward that and conducting his conditioning and conducting his rehab as though he could play if he were eligible,” Jones said.

Jones said he does not need to see McClain play in a preseason game.

“The kinds of things we want to see from him are basically, we know what he can do,” Jones said. “That has not been diminished in terms physically what he’s been able to do. And you say, ‘Well, why do you have preseason?’ In his case just really get in good shape, get a plan in shape so he can be mentally prepared when we start having him in meetings in regular season when he comes back.”

Reaction score
I don't think McClain loves football or takes it serious. Certainly isnt passionate about it. So don't tell me that's the definition of RKG as long as he's on our roster.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
shithead was struggling with a bad knee last year and waits until May to have it scoped

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
If he could go week one (not that Jerry should ever be believed) then why would you even consider PUP'ing him?

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Par for the course with this guy. I'd just get rid of him. He'll probably fuck up some way or another before he's eligible to come back anyway.

Hate that Jerry is basically saying that anyone who is talented and can play doesn't need preseason, or even practice, at all. Like this is all a big time kill until the real games start. Even if that's pretty much true with the best players, you don't send the Allen Iverson message that this practice stuff doesn't really matter.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
McClain is a playmaker and he single-handedly brought attitude and swagger to this ball-less defense. He gets a pass in my book.

That being said, let him go next off-season IF AND ONLY IF you are going to replace him with a quality player through the draft of free agency. JAGs like Jasper Brinkley and Andrew Gachkar doesn't qualify.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
McClain is a playmaker and he single-handedly brought attitude and swagger to this ball-less defense. He gets a pass in my book.

That being said, let him go next off-season IF AND ONLY IF you are going to replace him with a quality player through the draft of free agency. JAGs like Jasper Brinkley and Andrew Gachkar doesn't qualify.

Yeah, I said this over at the DCC but it's obvious Rolando's heart just isn't in it, but if he can have the same year he had last year without the injury, I'm okay with it.

But, just think he did that well without really caring all that much, imagine if he actually started caring.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
As soon as they moved Hutchens to MLB (instead of leaving him at strong OLB, where most thought he would start) I wondered if they were thinking about Ro McClain not being in their plans.

Top Bottom