Reaction score
The only reason the Cowboys have defensive end Randy Gregory is because other teams saw character issues, including a failing a drug test for marijuana at the NFL combine.

A projected first-round pick, Gregory fell late into the second round before the Cowboys scooped him up. Gregory has vowed to learn from his mistakes, even if it was tough to wait a long time before being draft.

"It was frustrating, but I dug my own grave and I owned up to it," Gregory told the Bleacher Report. "The best thing I could was learn from it. I think I have learned from it, and I think I'm with a great organization, the Dallas Cowboys where they can help me. In just the couple of months I've been there, they've done a lot. I mean, my head coach is kind of a tool but I have a support group there and they believe in me. I'm glad they believe in me."

Gregory was speaking at the NFL's rookie symposium. There, former NBA player Chris Herren spoke to the group about his promising career was lost due to a drug addiction. Gregory told the Bleacher Report he learned from Herren's presentation.

"He had to hit rock bottom before he could change," Gregory said. "He lost his whole career and still couldn't change. He had to lose his whole family for him to change. His story is something we can all look at, even if you've had a problem like I had in the past or you're one of these guys who don't have a problem. Don't wait until you lose something to make a change."

Gregory also said he's had some heart-to-heart talks with his parents during trying times. He referred to his mom as giving him "tough love."

"It seems like no matter what you do, nothing is ever completely right for her," Gregory said. "You can't satisfy her. She always wants more, she always expects more out of you. I think my dad is a little different. Again, my dad is the type of guy who will sit you down, tell you what you did wrong, pat you on the butt and say: "Well, your mom is going to tell you that you messed [up], I taught you better than that, but now you have to learn the hard way." She grew up that way, and that's what she tries to say by example."

Last edited:
Reaction score
Eh. I'm kinda worried about his bipolar issues. Wonder how reliable he'll be especially with a long season, rookie year, in a prime time city.

That and Cowboys don't win that award. Convinced after Roy Williams was robbed in 2002.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Good news is that the Cowboys have abundant experience already with a player that needs to be constantly prodded to stay on the straight and narrow ie Dez Bryant.

Hopefully the Cowboys get it right again with Gregory.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
With DLaw coming along pretty good late last season, and now this cat if he pans out, Dallas might have a fierce QB-pressuring D once again.

Reaction score
Did DLaw really come along good late last season or just make plays in the Detroit game?

I don't remember him doing much else.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Did DLaw really come along good late last season or just make plays in the Detroit game?

Made some good plays vs. GB too. And vs. Washington.

Been watching for him in the DVR'd games.

In postseason recorded 2 sacks, one forced fumble and 2 recovered fumbles and was in on 4 tackles.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score

He seemed to play pretty stout against the run. Wasn't much of a factor rushing the QB. Maybe. Idk. I'll have to watch the All-22 tape of him again.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Yeah, I caught that too. Not good.
Midswat got me again - he likes to editorialize these stories before he posts them. Adds little nuggets like that. Gregory never said that.

You gotta learn not to trust everything the fucker posts. LOL

Reaction score
Midswat got me again - he likes to editorialize these stories before he posts them. Adds little nuggets like that. Gregory never said that.

You gotta learn not to trust everything the fucker posts. LOL

As soon as I read it I thought

"I highly doubt Gregory called JG a 'tool'. That lingo is not his generations type of statement. "

:oldman

Last edited:

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Eh. I'm kinda worried about his bipolar issues. Wonder how reliable he'll be especially with a long season, rookie year, in a prime time city.
Same. Other teams knew he was talented and passed on him because he had big issues beyond a little weed. Seems like everyone assumes he won't be a problem because Dez worked out, but Dez never had substance or mental health issues. And I doubt Gregory will want a Cowboys chaperone around him 24/7 if the team starts well and the whole city is wanting to throw them a party.

Wildcat Jerry is back with these guys lately, and we know that's produced a lot of dry holes in the past.

Reaction score
To thin to win right now. Needs to build strength, muscle, and stamina before he contributes in any way we can depend on.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
but Dez never had substance or mental health issues.

This is still my concern as well. Mentally is he going to be tough enough?

It worries me how scripted everything he says is too. He's telling everyone what they want to hear.. its too perfect.

I do think we offer the best staff and scenario for him to succeed tho but I don't think DROY is a realistic possibility for Gregory.

Top Bottom