• I somewhat agree

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RickSmith123

Spectator
Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys Mount Rushmore:
Do you agree or disagree? If you disagree, who would you replace?

During the month of June, the Last Word On Sports NFL department will construct a Mount Rushmore for each team. For this series, we will only consider players. Today, the Dallas Cowboys are the focus.
Dallas Cowboys Mount Rushmore
Roger Staubach

I decided to only include one quarterback on the Dallas Cowboys Mount Rushmore because I had to limit the article to four players somehow. Roger Staubach and Troy Aikman are both Cowboys legends and deserving of a spot, but I’m giving the slight edge to Staubach. Staubach’s impressive numbers could have been even better if he entered the league at a normal age. After serving in the Navy, Staubach’s first season in the NFL came at the age of 27. He was known as an elusive quarterback who dodged past defenders to make plays. He was a six-time Pro Bowler and he won two Super Bowls (four appearances) in Dallas. Remarkably, he was 37 during his final NFL season and he played his entire 11-year career in Dallas. Staubach was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1985.
Emmitt Smith

Emmitt Smith is one of the greatest running backs in NFL history. While Tony Dorsett was also an incredible running back, I’m giving the nod to Smith. Emmitt Smith has the most rushing yards (18,355) and rushing touchdowns (164) of all-time. He played 13 of his 15 seasons with the Cowboys and he racked up nearly all of these yards and touchdowns in Dallas. He was also an integral member of three Super Bowl championships and he was an eight-time Pro Bowler. Smith was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2010. Emmitt Smith would be a candidate for an NFL Mount Rushmore as one of the greatest running backs of all-time, so his spot here is locked up.
Michael Irvin

Michael Irvin is the franchise leader in receiving yards (11,904) and receiving touchdowns (65). Dez Bryant has a long way to go if he wants to top Michael Irvin as the greatest receiver in Cowboys history. Irvin played his entire 12-year career in Dallas and he helped the team win three Super Bowls. Along with Troy Aikman and Emmitt Smith, Irvin was a member of “The Triplets.” He was a five-time Pro Bowler and he was inducted to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2007.
Bob Lilly

Bob Lilly, also known as “Mr. Cowboy,” gets the nod over Randy White as the greatest defensive lineman in Cowboys history. He was an extremely versatile defensive lineman, excelling from both the defensive end and defensive tackle positions. In addition, he was able to dominate as a run stopper and as a pass rusher, so he was a true three-down defensive lineman. He played his entire 14-year career in Dallas and he was a Pro Bowler during 11 of those seasons. He was the first member of the Dallas Cowboys Ring of Honor, he was a member of the 1960s and 1970s All-Decade Teams, and he helped the Cowboys win Super Bowl VI. He was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1980.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Welcome to the DCU Rick.

Kind of hard to argue with the four listed.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
No Bill Bates? Haters.

I'd swap out Manster for Irvin.

Reaction score
Even if the assumption is that this honor is only for players, I call bullshit and include Landry. Landry has to be on it. Staubach does too. Both are certain locks in my book.

Emmitt Smith must be there as well. I think he's the next guy.

After that? Lilly vs. Irvin ... I can't pick one over the other. We need a bigger mountain.

Reaction score
I get that you already have a QB on there... but I wouldn't put Irvin on there over Aikman. Probably would argue Landry or White as already mentioned over Irvin as well.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I wonder how much longer (and how well) Irvin would have played had he not been injured.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I wonder how much longer (and how well) Irvin would have played had he not been injured.
He might well have been killed or paralyzed - he played with that spinal defect his entire career. It was just a ticking time bomb no one knew about.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Hmm. Just to be different, in no particular order;

Woodson
Emmitt
Larry Allen
Staubach

Reaction score
Haley's waggling dick would be hella better.

... displayed along side of those of Lance Rentzel and Rafael Septian ...

Not so much on Mount Rushmore, though. Is there a Wiener Hill?

Reportedly Irvin's was especially prolific. His merits a spot too.

Reaction score
I don't know who the two on the left are, and agree with Emmitt being up there, but why is Rynie on the far right?

Top Bottom