Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
My high hopes for the kid in Dallas are dashed. I read one report that they had him down on the line blocking and though try as he might, he looked bad in the attempt.

His fault lies largely with Dallas; they want their TEs to be able the block so that they can move them all over the place. He might just be too tall to ever get the leverage needed. So I kind of question why Dallas took a chance on him knowing that his height might preclude him from ever being a trustworthy blocker. Trustworthy enough to where he's more than just a package player here. I'm betting Geoff Swaim sees about as much snaps as he does this year and Witten and Hanna largely keep both of them off to the side.

He may go the way of Martellus Bennett; where he moves on to an offense where they value receiving out of their TE much moreso than for their blocking.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
My high hopes for the kid in Dallas are dashed. I read one report that they had him down on the line blocking and though try as he might, he looked bad in the attempt.

His fault lies largely with Dallas; they want their TEs to be able the block so that they can move them all over the place. He might just be too tall to ever get the leverage needed. So I kind of question why Dallas took a chance on him knowing that his height might preclude him from ever being a trustworthy blocker. Trustworthy enough to where he's more than just a package player here. I'm betting Geoff Swaim sees about as much snaps as he does this year and Witten and Hanna largely keep both of them off to the side.

He may go the way of Martellus Bennett; where he moves on to an offense where they value receiving out of their TE much moreso than for their blocking.

Bennett was an excellent block though. He was better than Witten. In fact, Bennett was used primarily as a blocker at Texas A & M.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I don't remember him being particularly noteworthy as a blocker here.

nvm, guess he was.

Damn, he's already 28.

Reaction score
Escobar has the hands and the height. It's very simple. Use him for his height and hands. If Jason needs to keep him back for pass blocking (similar to the Ryan Williams issue), there is a bigger issue with forcing the scheme and wasting the talent.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Escobar has the hands and the height. It's very simple. Use him for his height and hands. If Jason needs to keep him back for pass blocking (similar to the Ryan Williams issue), there is a bigger issue with forcing the scheme and wasting the talent.
Agreed.

I'm also thinking Pablo would be dangerous as a slot receiver. The height, the hands, the speed and hard to tackle, could really give a defense fits.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
He may go the way of Martellus Bennett
Bennett never applied himself in Dallas and just didn't progress much at all, like everything they were trying to teach him was going in one ear and out the other. In the "Hard Knocks" series he was on, this was evident and Garrett even said "we're waiting for the light to come on."

They waited about three years too long.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
I don't remember him being particularly noteworthy as a blocker here.

nvm, guess he was.

Damn, he's already 28.

Escobar is 28 ? Damn , he has been a wasted draft pick. He has good hands for a TE, but Dallas continues to waste draft picks on the TE position.

Statman

Practice Squad
Reaction score
He was drafted because they couldn't assume that Witten would continue to play at such a high level. It has been over 11 years now and most TE's that sustain a career begin to make their exists around that time. If Written had been hurt or began a sharp decline then he would have been very useful to Room and the passing game.

Just because we never have to use an insurance policy doesn't mean it was a bad investment.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Escobar just needs to keep improving. Id like to see the Cowboys use him more in a Jimmy Graham fashion instead of a Witten.

Reaction score
I thought Bennett got a bad rap in Dallas. He was an excellent blocker. It seemed to me that Bennett was more likely to be targeted when someone other than Romo was at QB.

Escobar was brought in to be more than insurance for Witten ... Escobar was to be a big weapon in the two and three TE sets that the team was planning to emphasize. But somehow the teams' plans never really happened.

Romo to Beasley has proven to be a pretty good combination. Taking Beasley off of the field to give Escobar a shot doesn't make much sense in most situations.

And, of course, drafting Escobar in the 2nd round didn't make much sense to most back when it happened.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Taking Beasley off of the field to give Escobar a shot doesn't make much sense in most situations.
I'd use Pablo in the slot closer to the opponent goal line, and inside my own 20. Nothing says Beasley has to come off the field ever, he can be split wide. Matter of fact, so can Pablo. I know, I am asking for something this coaching staff doesn't have - imagination and creativity.

I think we all agree Pablo needs more action, more touches.

Reaction score
Not to be too contrary, but I don't think the Cowboys need Escobar to get more touches. The offense has been cranking along just fine with Escobar spending most of his time on the bench. It isn't like Escobar is an untapped superstar or something who will somehow ignite the Cowboys offense.

The mistake was drafting him in the first place. He's a good example of how drafting BPA can backfire.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
The moment Martellus Bennett called me a "stupid asshole", he was dead to me.

I was just telling him to hit the jugs machine instead of video chatting trying to sell clothes or whatever.

Fuck him and I'm glad he's gone. Great blocker, though.

Statman

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Escobar his scored 6 TD's on 18 receptions.....4 TD's last season. There were 11 teams last season with a starting TE that didn't score that many TD's.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Escobar his scored 6 TD's on 18 receptions.....4 TD's last season. There were 11 teams last season with a starting TE that didn't score that many TD's.
Therefore, Pablo needs more touches. He is a electrifying player who presents matchup problems for defenses.

Reaction score
Troy Hambrick averaged 5.1 yards per carry in 2001 ... 3rd highest in the NFL that year.

... statistics ....

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Troy Hambrick averaged 5.1 yards per carry in 2001 ... 3rd highest in the NFL that year.

... statistics ....
And the other side of that pancake? Murray always averaged either high 4s or 5 ypc. What happened when he got more touches?

Pablo IMO is exactly such a player. I don't know anyone who ever thought Hambrick was.

What's the beef with getting Pablo more receptions? That they might take away from some Dez should have? I can't follow your logic - use the fucking weapons, all of them.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
I thought Bennett got a bad rap in Dallas. He was an excellent blocker. It seemed to me that Bennett was more likely to be targeted when someone other than Romo was at QB.

Escobar was brought in to be more than insurance for Witten ... Escobar was to be a big weapon in the two and three TE sets that the team was planning to emphasize. But somehow the teams' plans never really happened.

Romo to Beasley has proven to be a pretty good combination. Taking Beasley off of the field to give Escobar a shot doesn't make much sense in most situations.

And, of course, drafting Escobar in the 2nd round didn't make much sense to most back when it happened.

The drafting of Escobad lead to Theebs leaving this board and calling all of us negative names. We was just too negative for him to post with and he left. Is my memory correct?

Top Bottom