Reaction score
From Shefter...

Panthers and QB Cam Newton are on verge of a lucrative multi-year extension, league sources told ESPN. The Panthers had been confident that a deal with Newton would get done before training camp, and now the deal is expected to be done this week and as early as today, per sources. Newton's agents, Bus Cook and Tony Paige, have had discussions with Carolina in recent weeks and the Panthers have made it known they want Newton in Carolina for years to come.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Again...

Thank God for Romo.

Kinda makes you wonder how Romo didn't get $200mil.

These last few QBs that have gotten $100mil deals, I'd be pissed if they were starting for Dallas at 2 or 3 mil a year. I guess it's sexy to now sign your middle of the road QB to a staggering deal. It's like they're hoping the big deal will make the player legit or something.

Reaction score
Some of these teams went through so many years of plugging in whatever they could find off the QB scrap heap. When they find someone who at least has enough talent to stick around, they feel like they have to do whatever it takes to keep them there and not go back to the scrap heap.

Dolphins' starting QBs since Marino:

Jay Fiedler
Damon Huard
Ray Lucas
Brian Griese
AJ Feely
Sage Rosenfels
Gus Frerotte
Joey Harrington
Daunte Culpepper
Cleo Lemon
Trent Green
John Beck
Chad Pennington
Chad Henne
Tyler Thigpen
Matt Moore
Tannehill

Only Fiedler, Pennington and Tannehill even played one full 16 game season. Tannehill now has 3 in a row.

The Panthers QB with the most starts in franchise history is Jake Delhomme. Aside from him the guys they've run out there for multiple starts include Steve Beuerlein, Kerry Collins, Chris Weinke, Rodney Peete, and Jimmy Clausen.

When you have so much shit at QB for so long, when you see a glimmer of hope, you latch onto it. I understand too after the shit we ran out there post-Aikman. When I first heard Romo's name, I never would have fathomed he would be a ten year starter here. But when he first came onto the field in 2006, I was hooked.

Reaction score
Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 2 hours ago
Cam Newton gets $103.8M in 5 year extension. Averages close to $21M/yr with $60M guarantee. Get massive $67.6M in 1st 3yrs. Wow...

Reaction score
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 1 hour ago
Cam contract includes $22.5M signing bonus, $7.5M roster bonus due June 6, and $1M salary this season, paying Newton $31 million this year.

Top Bottom