Reaction score
I just can't tell what is going on from the Cowboy brain trust. It almost seems like there was never a plan to keep Murray going into last year and there was surprise that he did so well. I'm sure that the Cowboy management were really not in favor of Murray joining the Eagles either.

There is either
A) a patient brilliance that is going on in order to get the running back(s) they want despite the draft,

or

B) there is this "wait and see who falls to us in the draft or in free agency because LaGarette Blount....". But while Dallas sits and waits, the rest of the league seemed to have gotten the missing pieces they needed in the draft and free agency.

I would be elated if it were A) but seeing how the trend of most games, drafts and free agency points to teams being a step ahead of Jason and Jerry I'm expecting B).

Reaction score
I don't think were completely void of talent at RB. With this OL, were going to have a 1k back - be it Randle, McFadden, Williams etc.

We'll get 2k rushing for the year.

Reaction score
But to your question, well, I think it was the plan. Our cap is kinda fucked and we have some talented players we need to resign. You can't have a steak at every plate.

Going back to the line, I think you could go "cheap" at RB and still be effective. Murray wasn't all that.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I think they never particularly cared about Murray, that they liked him well enough but they never saw such a big year coming.

But when it did, they appreciated his toughness and professionalism, which is why they did want him back.

And they obviously wanted a "bigger name" back from the draft, otherwise they wouldn't have brought in so many to interview. But I do think Jerry is rubbing his hands hoping McFadden can do the same thing behind this line.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
Going back to the line, I think you could go "cheap" at RB and still be effective. Murray wasn't all that.

This.
Our backfield is full of potential,but really we have no idea if it will be realized.
Isn't at least a part of this management saying,"Who's laughing at our 1st round O-line picks now?We don't need no high priced back".
I'm not very excited about any of the currently available free agent backs,but who knows whast will happen with June 1st and training camp cuts.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I think they're hoping that McFadden comes out of nowhere like Justin Forsett did last year. That they're counting on the line to play a huge role in that.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The league isn't going to fear one of our backs until one starts chewing them up. Should be fun to watch them not loading 8 in the box, with our line.

Bring back Hershel Walker, with a walker, and he still gets 1,200 years.

Reaction score
You cant have filet mignon at every position. Cowboys are going to have to pay these All-Pro lineman, probably 100 million/10 year type deals for all of them. You are going to have to go cheap at other positions.

Cowboys have been very open about their plans. They said didnt want to pay a lot to the running back position because of the higher risk of injury. Before the draft, they said running back wasnt a high priority.

I think they have a plan and have been sticking to it. We will see how it works out.

Reaction score
This.
Our backfield is full of potential,but really we have no idea if it will be realized.
Isn't at least a part of this management saying,"Who's laughing at our 1st round O-line picks now?We don't need no high priced back".
I'm not very excited about any of the currently available free agent backs,but who knows whast will happen with June 1st and training camp cuts.

Yeah, it'd be nice to know who might become available. Is there a list somewhere?

Obviously, Dallas would be a highly desirable location for any FA RB. There isn't an RB out there who wouldn't want to run behind that line.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
The success starts in the trenches. You won't find one single GM that doesn't believe that. It really is that simple.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Randle actually could be a pretty good back based on what we saw last yr. He is just stupid and probably shouldn't be counted on.

Be our luck he'll rip off 8 100+ yd games in the first 10 weeks, then go steal some more underwear during w/o Thanksgiving and get suspended rest of yr.

Reaction score
Randle actually could be a pretty good back based on what we saw last yr. He is just stupid and probably shouldn't be counted on.

Be our luck he'll rip off 8 100+ yd games in the first 10 weeks, then go steal some more underwear during w/o Thanksgiving and get suspended rest of yr.

:giggle

I don't think he's really a 15+ carry type of player. I think as kind of an unknown quantity he would rip through the lines when given sporadic work. If he were given more constant carries, his weaknesses would show up a little more on game tape. He's not really a talented or gifted runner, but he puts everything into the chances he gets. I think Barry Church even chuckles at Randle's 40 time.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Joseph Randle from last year.

[video]http://www.nfl.com/videos/dallas-cowboys/0ap3000000492149/Joseph-Randle-s-best-runs-of-2014[/video]

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
I don't think the starting RB is on the roster right now. If you look at every move Jerry has made, it looks like there is a plan in place to fill the RB position in other ways than the draft. I honestly think something is going on that has not been made public. Nobody, even Jerry, is stupid enough to depend on the current garbage that is on the roster at the RB position. They are just playing this too cool considering the situation.

Reaction score
Joseph Randle from last year.

[video]http://www.nfl.com/videos/dallas-cowboys/0ap3000000492149/Joseph-Randle-s-best-runs-of-2014[/video]

I see a big year coming for Randle. I could watch those runs a thousand times. Wouldn’t it be crazy if he surpassed what Murray did last year?

Top Bottom