Reaction score
Thought Dooms would like this one

Jon Machota Email jmachota@dallasnews.com
Published: May 7, 2015 1:16 am

Stephen Jones says the Cowboys had their eyes on running backs during the first three rounds of this year’s draft. But there were better players at other positions when they were on the clock.

The other part of the equation is that the Cowboys are comfortable with the group of running backs on their roster.

“We didn’t put the priority on taking a back that a lot of people may have thought that we might,” Jones, the team’s executive vice president, said during a Wednesday conference call with season-ticket holders. “We really feel like with Darren McFadden, Joseph Randle and Lance Dunbar that we have three really good running backs. At the same time, we’re not done. Player acquisitions are 365 days a year. We’ll continue to look to improve our football team.

“That doesn’t mean that we won’t be adding a back before we go to camp or during camp or even during the season. I know a team that won a Super Bowl this year, the New England Patriots, that added a back [LeGarrette Blount] at the very end of the season and helped lead them to a Super Bowl. You never know when the right guy is going to be there. We happen to think the right guy may be on our football team as we speak.”

While Jones didn’t mention Ryan Williams, who was on the Cowboys practice squad last year, he said it was not intentional and just an oversight. Jones said Williams needs to improve his pass blocking, but added “he’ll certainly be a factor in who’s going to be our running back this year.”

“His name actually came up quite a bit [during the draft],” Jones said. “Many times we were looking at backs later in the draft that we compared to Ryan and didn’t feel like they were as good as he was.”

Some would prefer that the Cowboys continue running with a bell cow back rather than change to a committee approach. But despite Murray winning the rushing title in 2014, Jones suggested the Cowboys “may end up being more efficient and more explosive by doing our running back by committee rather than putting so much pressure on one back.”

If the Cowboys are to eventually give the majority of carries to one player, McFadden could be the guy. After all, Jones compared him to Murray during the call because of the way both have dealt with multiple injuries.

“We really think Darren’s in the best shape of his career,” Jones said. “He looks great out there. We really think that you put him behind our offensive line and he has some luck and stays healthy, we might really have something here.”

Either way, Jones assured fans that the Cowboys will remain committed to the running game.

“We think it’s very important with this offensive line we have that it’s become really a part of what we’re about,” Jones said. “Part of our culture, part of our team toughness is to run the ball. Talking to Coach Garrett, talking to Coach Linehan, they’re more committed than ever, after watching the tape this year and really going back and reviewing the season, that running the football is a huge priority for us.”

Follow Jon Machota on Twitter: @jonmachota

Stephen Jones: Cowboys are more committed than ever to running the ball | | Dallas Morning News

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The truth remains that this exact time last year few if any people were considering Murray to be a future record breaking, all pro league leading, 400 carry back. Few if any thought Dallas would play straight up bludgeon ball, this time last year but they did.

They might just hit solid gold again with someone already on the roster, be it McFadden, Williams, Randle or even a combination of the three.

So, I've moderated my position quite a bit on this but as always it's a wait and see thing.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I really never thought it was going to happen before the draft, but I am starting to get on the we are trading for he who shall not be named. Just seems like the stars are lining up for us here.

Imagine if we sign Collins and then get Peterson too.

Bluenoser

In the Rotation
Reaction score
The truth remains that this exact time last year few if any people were considering Murray to be a future record breaking, all pro league leading, 400 carry back. Few if any thought Dallas would play straight up bludgeon ball, this time last year but they did.

They might just hit solid gold again with someone already on the roster, be it McFadden, Williams, Randle or even a combination of the three.

So, I've moderated my position quite a bit on this but as always it's a wait and see thing.
I took Murray in the first round of my fantasy football, so I saw it coming.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Well I obviously don't agree with Dooms' "We're gonna throw it 50 times a game again this year", but I also think a Stephen claim in a May interview means nothing.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
It backfires, he gets hurt or sucks now. Idgas, they tried to put themselves over the top for a short run.

Whats the the worst the could possibly happen? 8-8? 6-10? No number one pick next year?

You're not trying to make a run at it with Darren McFadden and Joseph Randle.

Reaction score
If not Peterson, then surely you gotta go out and get someone better than shitty McFadden. I'm fine with an expensive Peterson if he gives us 3 good seasons. Don't want to revert to the days of pass-happy Ginger ruining Romo's life.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
I'd consider sending the first for Peterson.. The pick is gonna be late anyway. It would all depend on what it did to our cap and ability to sign our own players.

Even if we don't get Peterson, I'm sure I could get 1000 yards behind this line... I bet McFadden and Co could get 2000.

Reaction score
Peterson is going to want a contract similar to the one Murray got, probably more.

Is he still the same back or has he lost a step?

I do agree, i wouldnt trust McFadden, guy is made out of glass. Randle is a dumbass. Dunbar is a role player. Williams is an unknown.

Who else is out there?

Top Bottom