Reaction score
...NFL Network

Wells report finds Pats employees probably deflated balls vs. Colts

The NFL has found that it is probable that New England Patriots personnel deliberately deflated balls during the AFC Championship Game in January and that quarterback Tom Brady was "generally aware" of what was happening.

The findings were released by Ted Wells, the league-appointed attorney who investigated whether the Patriots deflated balls in their game against the Indianapolis Colts.

"For the reasons described in this Report, and after a comprehensive investigation, we have concluded that, in connection with the AFC Championship Game, it is more probable than not that New England Patriots personnel participated in violations of the Playing Rules and were involved in a deliberate effort to circumvent the rules," the report said. "In particular, we have concluded that it is more probable than not that Jim McNally (the Officials Locker Room attendant for the Patriots) and John Jastremski (an equipment assistant for the Patriots) participated in a deliberate effort to release air from Patriots game balls after the balls were examined by the referee. Based on the evidence, it also is our view that it is more probable than not that Tom Brady (the quarterback for the Patriots) was at least generally aware of the inappropriate activities of McNally and Jastremski involving the release of air from Patriots game balls.

"Based on the evidence, the investigation has further concluded that that there was no deliberate attempt by the Patriots to introduce to the playing field a non-approved kicking ball during the AFC Championship Game. Although Patriots personnel provided a kicking ball to game officials that did not have the distinctive inspection mark of the referee, we find that the Patriots personnel involved believed the ball to be authentic and appropriate. We do not believe that there was any attempt by Patriots personnel, including Patriots kicker Stephen Gostkowski, to deliberately circumvent the rules by offering the kicking ball for play."

The NFL is considering discipline for Brady, McNally and Jastremski, a source close to the investigation told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. Discipline is "days" away, the source said.

The 243-page report said league investigators found no evidence that coach Bill Belichick and team management knew of the practice.

The Patriots, who won the game and went on to beat the Seattle Seahawks in the Super Bowl, said in a statement "to say we are disappointed in its findings, which do not include any incontrovertible or hard evidence of deliberate deflation of footballs at the AFC Championship Game, would be a gross understatement."

"While I respect the independent process of the investigation, the time, effort and resources expended to reach this conclusion are incomprehensible to me," Patriots CEO Robert Kraft said. "Knowing that there is no real recourse available, fighting the league and extending this debate would prove to be futile. We understand and greatly respect the responsibility of being one of 32 in this league and, on that basis, we will accept the findings of the report and take the appropriate actions based on those findings as well as any discipline levied by the league."

The NFL began investigating after the Patriots defeated the Colts 45-7 on January 18. The Colts complained that several footballs were under inflated and the NFL confirmed that 11 of the 12 footballs were under the limit.

Footballs with less pressure can be easier to grip and catch. Some quarterbacks prefer footballs that have less air.

The NFL requires balls to be inflated between 12.5 and 13.5 pounds per square inch, and each team is responsible for the balls it uses on offense. Brady said he prefers footballs inflated to 12.5 pounds per square inch. On many occasions, Brady said he never asked for balls to be deflated outside of the rules.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Kinda surprised that the "independent investigator" had the balls to say he think they did it. I didn't doubt someone in that lockerroom knew something, just never thought the league would endorse a finding that they did.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Kinda surprised that the "independent investigator" had the balls to say he think they did it. I didn't doubt someone in that lockerroom knew something, just never thought the league would endorse a finding that they did.

The texts are pretty damning. Now let's see if the NFL has the guts to suspend Brady (who refused to turn over his phone) for the opening kickoff game and more. Doubt it.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Meh. Don't care.

Same here. This doesn't bother me nearly like taping and decoding other teams' signals.

ESPN Dallas is saying they're texting one of these NFL field equipment guys, and they say two things:

1. We already knew Brady was kind of a dick -- no news there.
2. Every QB at every level of big-boy football basically does this exact same thing.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
And the fact that the balls were taken away and Brady blew up.

doesn't change the fact that he intended to cheat and then lied through his teeth at a press conference soon thereafter. and the Pats have a rep for cheating, so a steep penalty is in order.

Reaction score
Makes me upset when cheaters end up winning. I hope they get the book thrown at them but i doubt it. I hate the Patriots.

My two favorite sports, boxing and football are filled with liars and cheaters. Nothing to believe in anymore.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
doesn't change the fact that he intended to cheat and then lied through his teeth at a press conference soon thereafter. and the Pats have a rep for cheating, so a steep penalty is in order.

Anything less than five games = more proof Goodell and the league hate us! :facepalm

Reaction score
The texts are pretty damning. Now let's see if the NFL has the guts to suspend Brady (who refused to turn over his phone) for the opening kickoff game and more. Doubt it.
Just saw those... holy shit.

Reaction score
Convenient that this came out just days after the draft. Goodell was all over the airwaves last week. Bet he doesn't give any interviews for a while.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
They probably didn't want negative publicity heading into the draft. I say fuck that.

Reaction score
Now it's going to take the news cycle off the Frank Clark's and Randy Gregory's off the world. It's like Wag the Fucking Dog.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
2. Every QB at every level of big-boy football basically does this exact same thing.

That is definitely not true, several former NFL QB's have spoke about this and said they didn't do it and never would.

I believe one of them is a certain HOF former Cowboy QB

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Prophetic?

Cary Williams doesn’t want to practice with “Cheater” Patriots
Posted by Darin Gantt on August 1, 2014, 4:11 PM EDT

Eagles cornerback Cary Williams got himself thrown out of a joint practice with the Patriots last year for fighting.

He didn’t wait until the teams got together later this month to throw his next haymaker.

“They are cheaters,” Williams said of the Patriots, via Geoff Mosher of CSNPhilly.com. “They are.”

That was an obvious reference to the Spygate scandal, which saw the Patriots fined $250,000 they lost a 2008 first-round pick for illegally videotaping opponents’ signals. Coach Bill Belichick was also fined an additional $500,000.

But it wasn’t a drive-by for Williams, who kept piling on the team he grew to hate when he was with the Ravens. He said he didn’t like practicing against anyone, but especially New England.

“I’m trying not to go into details about it or disrespect that organization because I give that organization nothing but, . . .you still got to go out there and play the game,” Williams said. “All the credit. I give them all the credit in the world. But one fact still remains, they haven’t won a Super Bowl since they got caught.

“You got caught. I know you’re gonna be looking at the film when we go out there. That’s just that. I don’t want to show them my card. That’s just me, not them. Not them. Every team is gonna look at it anyway. We’re gonna look at what they do too.”

Williams has just guaranteed those practices will be watched a little more closely by everyone. cheaters.jpg

Top Bottom