Reaction score
Draft Analysis:

"This is an interesting pick. He played right tackle. The more I watched D.J. Humphries, the more I appreciated Chaz Green. He has a chance to start on the right side." -- Mike Mayock

6'5" Height
33 3/8" Arm Length
314LBS. Weight
10 7/8" Hands

Analysis

Strengths

Plays with good footwork and overall pass-protection technique on his initial pass sets. Hand placement is adequate. Plays with open eyes and desired football intelligence. Has a feel for stunts, twists and blitzes and can pick them up. Good initial quickness to get to tough reach blocks and climbs smoothly to second-level blocks. Played left and right tackle at Florida. Might have the athleticism and functional strength to play all five O-line positions.

Weaknesses

Poor base blocker in the run game. Doesn't get the hip rotation needed after initial engagement and plays with lean over drive, despite some power in his legs. Stops his feet and loses defender against counter moves on pass rushes. Could use more time in weight room for added upper-body strength. Needs to carry hands higher in pass-pro setup. Missing a jarring punch to keep pass rusher from caving the edge. Scouts question functional strength to redirect defenders around edge or on inside moves.

Draft Projection

Round 5 or 6

NFL Comparison

Tanner Hawkinson

Bottom Line

Athletic, heady player with potential position versatility. His foot quickness and movement skill will appeal to zone-scheme teams but he must improve his strength and ability in pass protection to be considered a full time tackle. Could end up transitioning into a full-time center role. -Lance Zierlein

Reaction score
Chaz Green wants to carry OL banner

IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys find themselves on a bit of a roll when it comes to drafting offensive lineman.

In 2011, they used their first round pick on Tyron Smith, who has become one of the best left tackles. In 2013, they drafted center Travis Frederick in the first round, who was named to the Pro Bowl last year. In 2014, Zack Martin was taken in the first round and became the first Cowboys’ rookie to earn All-Pro honors since 1969.

While Florida’s Chaz Green was a third-round pick, he still wants to carry the banner for the Cowboys’ recent run.

“It just makes me not want to let those guys down,” Green said. “They involved me as a part of this family and this is a team with such a legacy with offensive line players and that is something I understand. I’m willing to be that I have seen guys in the past that have come through here, Hall of Famers, and I don’t want to be the guy to mess that up. I want to be the guy to keep that rolling.”

Like the Cowboys’ first- and second-round picks -- Byron Jones and Randy Gregory -- Green, who started 11 games at left tackle last season, visited the Cowboys before the draft. He had an impressive workout with new offensive line coach Frank Pollack in Gainesville, Florida, which led to his trip to Valley Ranch.

“When I went down to visit we sat down and we were just talking ball,” Green said. “We were going over some of the protections and everything. He just wanted to pick my brain and see some of my recall work. He said I passed the test very well and that was almost like dotting on the cake, I would say.”

The Cowboys plan to use Green as the swing tackle in 2015 with the chance he could play some guard. The Cowboys re-signed Doug Free to a three-year deal in the offseason but won’t have him on the field until training camp because of offseason surgery. They lost last year’s swing tackle, Jermey Parnell, to free agency.

“Doug has had a great career here, but he is not getting any younger,” executive vice president Stephen Jones said. “He was injured last year and we really felt like it was important that we take care of that swing tackle position. Ultimately we think that Chaz has the skill set to ascend and ultimately when Doug is ready to step down -- which I hope is later rather than sooner -- and be a starter for us.”

Bluenoser

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I think Free will be gone after this season if everything goes according to plan.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
One of my best clients is a UF alum and a long time booster. I emailed him to get his thoughts on Green. He said he was kinda forgotten about by a lot of people because of the various injuries but said coaches there graded him pretty high when he was on the field. He also said the season that he missed their OL was really bad, and not having him was a big reason.

He also reminded me this kid was highly recruited coming out of high school and that a lot of high profile schools wanted him.

Reaction score
Well thats encouraging but not sure how much stock Id put in what a booster says.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
I didn't "scout" him before the draft.. Seen his name thrown around thats pretty much it so I went and watched games with him VS LSU and Florida State.

Shit I noticed:

-Quick off the snap
-Never really got beat bad. I think it was Mario Edwards JR that got him real good once.
-Did a real good job in pass protection
-Not a mauler in the run game like us fans like. Does more of the shit where he just gets his body in front of the defender but doesn't move him.
-Came off the field a lot. #55 for florida replacing him. At first I thought maybe his conditioning is a problem but I looked up #55 apparently he was an up and coming OT but earlier this spring he got diagnosed with Spinal Stenosis and now his career is over. Anyway, Green was splitting time with him this past season.
-Definitely doesn't play mean. I seen one time where it was maybe a split second after the play was over and he still had his hands on an LSU defender, the LSU guy got pissed and chopped Green's arms off him. Green didn't do shit, just walked away. Maybe I'm looking into that too much but if a guy does that to me I'm pissed. Maybe Green has a lot of self-control. Idk.

So I then looked up Green's back story. Hurt all three years before his senior campaign, which was his only healthy year. He was a top recruit coming out of high school though. Just couldn't stay on the field early.

Anyway, feels like a reach. I think a guy like him sounds and feels more like a 4th round pick. BUT I have a tremendous amount of confidence in whoever is scouting OLinemen in recent years. So I give them the benefit of the doubt here. If we can keep him healthy and get him stronger I think he's gonna be a good starter at RT for us when Free is done.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
11/11
Photo: Al Messerschmidt/Getty Images

10. Chaz Green wrote a multi-blog series documenting his path to the 2015 Draft for onlygators.com - he had a pretty good idea of how his draft experience would go.

"The teams showing me the most interest right now are Buffalo and Dallas but there are a bunch of other teams that are all pursuing me equally. My agent projects that I will go either late on the second day (third round) or early on the third day (fourth or fifth round). All I am doing is staying positive and enjoying the process because now everything is out of my hands."

9. Green will slide into a backup role - replacing tackle Jeremy Parnell who signed with Jacksonville this offseason.

8. The Cowboys had drafted offensive lineman in the first round in three of the last four drafts. They waited until the third to draft Green.

7. 2014 Chris Patrick Courage Award winner after returning from his injury to start every game the next season

6. Upon his return, he was named a team captain by his teammates in 2014

5. Missed entire 2013 season due to a torn labrum suffered in August training camp

4. Named 2011 Freshman All-American and SEC All-Freshman team

3. Chose to attend Florida over the likes of Georgia, Ohio State, Tennessee and USC

2. Scored four-star recruit by Rivals.com, he played in the 2010 Under Armour All-America Game.

1. Combine results: 6'5" 314 lbs.
40 yard dash: 5.16 seconds
Vertical leap: 29.5 inches

Reaction score
@SportsSturm: I am finding out this morning that even in the games Chaz Green played, he only played about half the snaps - if that. Rotated at RT.

Reaction score
The one game on youtube he played, i thought he looked really good. Physically he has that boxy look that reminds me of Tyron.

Reaction score
Here's Sturm's full write-up:

Chaz Green, T, Florida - 6’5, 314 – RS Senior - 5.16 40

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and when we examine the case of the Dallas Cowboys 3rd round pick, Chaz Green is a great example of that. There were many draft analysts that figured he would either be drafted late on Day 3 of the proceedings, or not at all. But the Cowboys thought he was the 91st best player in this draft and a perfect fit for them to replace the 3rd tackle “swing tackle” of the last 5 seasons – Jermey Parnell, who was signed away for large money in Jacksonville. Now, if either Doug Free or Tyron Smith fall to injury in 2015, odds are pretty good that Green will run onto the field.

Green was once a highly regarded high school recruit, but five years later, Green is fighting to overcome a host of injuries that have kept his Florida career from ever taking off. He redshirted in 2010, injuries cost him a month of the 2011 season (ankle), all of the 2013 season (knee), and part of the 2014 season (ankle). To study his work, we looked at the LSU, Florida State, and Missouri games from this season in particular.

Chaz1.gif

What I liked: Green is a big man who has that wide base you want from an edge protector who uses his large kick steps to get back in his stance and squared up to his man on the edge. Green looks quite comfortable in doing this and in the action we looked at seldom lost his edge to a rusher and generally seemed to have his assignment. He has massive hands that allow him to again control his man and to stay on balance and smooth in his protection. In the run game, he can move well and get in space and seek his target before getting him out of the way. He is not real fast, but he moves well enough for a man of his considerable size. He certainly looks the part.

Chaz2.gif

What I did not like: It was certainly difficult to find his snaps. Not only was he basically a 1-year starter at Florida, but even then, he was part of a right tackle rotation that kept him on the sideline. Beyond that, he has a real reputation as being an injury prone player which is the biggest enemy of a football team. He has to prove durable to be useful. Then, in his run blocking when he gets engaged he has very disconcerting issues with being top-heavy and not really ever moving his feet. This leads to an off balance man who then finds his way to the ground too much. When you are in a battle of upper body strength, often the man with the worst footwork loses, and he would lose quite a bit in this scenario. I am sure it can be fixed, but for now it zaps all of your strength if you stop moving your feet as a lineman. His disposition does not seem particularly noteworthy as nasty or physical.

Chaz3.gif

Summary: This is one where you find out about the front office. First round offensive linemen have been targeted and drafted quite well, where the degree of difficulty is much lower. But this team has a reputation of coming up empty in the premium 2nd round-4th round spots in the draft when they go for offensive line help. David Arkin was pick #110 in 2011, Robert Brewster #75 in 2009, James Marten was #67 in 2007, Jacob Rogers was pick #52 in 2004 and all of them were unmitigated disasters. Doug Free was a hit at #122 in 2007, but that is a 20% hit rate on OL over a decade. We also must credit them for Ron Leary as an un-drafted free agent, but that does not balance the percentages too much if you consider all of the later round (5th-7th) picks on the OL over the years. Here is pick #91 on a player that the Cowboys are taking a step out of the consensus to bet on a player that they really like.

You can see his skill set and his tools. You can also see his pedigree. But, for now, we wonder about his durability and his fit as a very important spot on the team from day 1. We also wonder if he might have been available later in the draft, but that, of course, is an unanswerable question. We knew replacing Parnell was going to be an important objective in 2015, and Green appears to be their guy. Now, we see how his summer goes and his performances in Oxnard will be on full display. He has a chance, but a bit of skepticism is fair until proven otherwise.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
@SportsSturm: I am finding out this morning that even in the games Chaz Green played, he only played about half the snaps - if that. Rotated at RT.

That's true, although in some of those games he went to LT as well. It wasn't rare for them to rotate 4 guys at the T spots.

Top Bottom