Reaction score
Overview

After just two seasons at Nebraska, Gregory ranks ninth on the school's all-time sack list with 17.5 sacks. As a junior in 2014, Gregory was named 2014 second-team All-American (FWAA) and first-team All-Big Ten (Media, Coaches). He missed two games and played sparingly in two others due to a knee injury he had suffered playing basketball in high school. Still managed a team-high seven sacks for 67 yards in losses. Gregory was third on the team with 10 tackles for loss and led the Huskers with 16 quarterback hurries. His 10.5 sacks as a sophomore in 2013 were the most ever by a first-year Husker and he was voted defensive MVP that season. He joined the Huskers after one season (2011) at Arizona Western CC, where he was regarded as the top junior-college defensive end prospect. He missed the entire 2012 season with a broken leg. Gregory also played basketball in high school and received Division I interest. He originally signed with Purdue to play football but didn't qualify academically.

Pro Day Results

60-yard shuttle: 11.81 seconds
Three-cone drill: 6.79 seconds

Analysis

Strengths

Tall with long levers and a lean, sinewy build. Batted down four passes in 2014. Stronger than expected at point of attack. Able to lock out and stay square against big offensive tackles and can whip most tight ends. Unhinges and gets tentacles on running backs bursting through gap. Room for more thickness on long frame. Competitive and shows toughness against run. Can chase and limit outside runs with speed. Secondary motor to stay in hunt downfield as tackler. Explosive hips. Gets instant change of direction to hound quarterbacks in play-action. Played standing up and with hand in ground. Rushed occasionally from ILB spot. Stride and second gear for quick close. Has bend and hips to convert speed to power. Showed improved timing and understanding of how to set up inside pass-rush move as season progressed. Hands are a blur. Explosive play traits to overwhelm technically deficient tackles. Can counter and recover from cut blocks. Flashes plus hand-feet coordination. As blitzer from ILB, will coil and explode into guard on contact step. More than tough enough. Willing to take on pulling guards with low pad level and aggressive pop.

Weaknesses

Thin through trunk and will play with a narrow base, causing balance issues. Almost always last player out of his stance at snap. Technique and feel as pass rusher lacking at this point. Thinks rather than plays. Takes occasional false steps as stand-up rusher. Time-waster. Too much time stutter-stepping tackles rather than exploding upfield. Fails to stress the high side of tackles to get them rocking. Makes it too easy for tackles to quick-set him. Plays man in front of him rather than "seeing through" to quarterback. Lacks creativity as rusher. Gets punched with his shoulders still squared rather than on an angle, which robs ability to turn edge. Doesn't process what he sees very quickly. Marginal play strength in pass rush and can be redirected. Was manhandled by Wisconsin blockers on two long touchdown runs by Melvin Gordon. Issues with positive drug tests are a significant concern.

Draft Projection

Round 2 or 3

Sources Tell Us

"He's super raw, but those physical tools are through the roof. That's why you pay coaches." -- NFC scouting director

NFL Comparison

Barkevious Mingo

Bottom Line

A 3-4 outside linebacker with the length, toughness and closing burst to immediately help a run defense. Gregory could stand to add more weight to his frame and needs plenty of technique work and a patient coach for his pass-rush skill to match his traits. Gregory's draft stock has been clouded with a positive drug test at the combine to go with failed tests for marijuana while at Nebraska. High-ceiling, low-floor prospect.

Reaction score
I'm just imaging what it'll be like when McClain, Hardy, and Gregory are all on the field, playing together.

So when they gather together before a play, would it be called a huddle or a support group?

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Only good thing is that Gregory seems to care about football. McClain couldn't give a shit.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Surprised even with the issues he lasted that long, if he stays straight it was a coup for our defense. Dude was impressive.

I said he reminded me a little of Haley when came into league (tall, lanky, not real muscular but strong) but I saw some of these scouting people compare him to Jason Taylor, who was all tall and pretty lanky/lean.

It's a risk but at 60 it doesn't hurt quite as bad if something does go wrong, as compared to maybe having taken him at 27

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Surprised even with the issues he lasted that long, if he stays straight it was a coup for our defense. Dude was impressive.

I said he reminded me a little of Haley when came into league (tall, lanky, not real muscular but strong) but I saw some of these scouting people compare him to Jason Taylor, who was all tall and pretty lanky/lean.

It's a risk but at 60 it doesn't hurt quite as bad if something does go wrong, as compared to maybe having taken him at 27
I just.... Wonder if he can comprehend that "a little weed" likely cost him around 9 million dollars, and does he have the candlepower to understand that's pretty fucking expensive weed? That it's not worth it?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Fucking Greg Hardy with moronic tweet of the century tonight. Looked like Cowboy people pretty PO'd

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Made a really bad 911 joke apparently to some Carolina Panther fans after they tweeted "we now have twin towers" (after they took that Michigan guy)

Dumbass Hardy tweeted back "the twin towers got blown up" or something along those lines

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Hmm. Dumb, but could have been a lot worse.

This is the kind of crap we're going to have to deal with. What did Parcells say? "Dumb players do dumb things."

Top Bottom