dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Bob Sturm: Byron Jones an impressive prospect, but I’m not sure Cowboys made proper pick

Bob Sturm Follow @sportssturm Email sturm1310@me.com

Published: April 30, 2015 11:32 pm

Special contributor Bob Sturm spoke with SportsDayDFW.com shortly after the conclusion of the first round oft the 2015 NFL draft on Thursday night. Here are his thoughts:

On his instant reaction of the Byron Jones pick:

Sturm: “Well they certainly expressed their love for him quite a bit this spring, and so from that standpoint we should not be shocked. I personally could not criticize taking a cornerback because this is a league where quite clearly you can’t have enough of them. And he is a very impressive prospect. That said, it does stick in my head how bad this team needs pass rush and how bad they got to get to the quarterback and really how evident that was in the playoffs when they could not get to a gimpy Aaron Rodgers — and there to see Randy Gregory there and to see even more impressive Malcom Brown from Texas there gives me some level of pause as to whether they made the proper call. As far as Jones goes, I don’t think anyone really disputes his ability, nearly everyone agrees he’s a first-round talent and his tape verifies his gift, his incredible 40 time, his incredible vertical leap — but he’s more than just tools, he can really play. So for me, I can’t be against the move except for the idea that I think there will be solid corners available in the second round, whereas I don’t think strong defensive linemen like Brown and Gregory will be there are No. 60.”

On where Jones fits in with the Cowboys defense:

Sturm: “There’s no doubt he’ll get right on the field. The question is where, and in this league where it’s pretty clear everyone has to assume they need three corners and two safeties just as really full-time players, I think he’ll be in that mix. Now they dropped a few hints that either Jones or (Morris) Claiborne might get some looks at free safety, which seems highly speculative now, but who knows come training camp if they want more of a true centerfield ball-hawk at safety than J.J. Wilcox. But in some form or fashion, I have no doubt that Jones will be on the field for probably six- or seven-hundred snaps if he stays healthy in 2015.”

On what the pick of Jones means for the Cowboys the rest of the draft:

Sturm: “Well I think you still are looking to solidify your defense, and at (pick No.) 60 I would give a lot of thought to defensive line play, although the red meat will probably be picked over. And from there I also need to find a running back, and it didn’t break right in Round 1, but perhaps in Round 2, one of the three second-tier running backs — Duke Johnson, Tevin Coleman, Jay Ajayi — one of them might certainly still be there at 60, and if so I would probably be ready to pounce on that first and foremost.”

On which defensive linemen he envisions might be there at No. 60 for the Cowboys to possibly pick:

Sturm: “Well luckily there are actually quite a few defensive ends that might be there. It’s difficult to predict, of course, but you could definitely see a situation where one of Preston Smith, Owa Odighizuwa from UCLA, Nate Orchard from Utah — I’m sure I’m forgetting a few, but those are the types of players that might be there at defensive end, and then there plenty of talented ends that will still be some impressive there. So I think once we formulate our board for tomorrow, we can both see how they will look. Pick 60 and 91 sure look like they could get some real quality players in what is a really deep draft of top 100 prospects”

On if he was surprised Malcom Brown dropped all the way to No. 32:

Sturm: “I really was. I think he was a top-20 player and the Patriots are the Patriots, and so they just sit there and they fall right to them. I hope that’s not something the Cowboys live to regret but I really like that player.

On what he thought of the rest of the NFC East picks in the first round:

Sturm: “Washington kind of shocked me by going offensive line with (Brandon) Scherff from Iowa. I really think he’s solid, but man when they had a chance to get Leonard Williams, that shocked the heck out of me that they didn’t jump on that. I think Scherff is solid; I think Leonard Williams might end up being the best player in this entire draft, so I really second-guess what the Redskins did. The Giants were always going to go offensive line, so that didn’t shock me. I think they wanted Scherff, actually, but they settled on Ereck Flowers from Miami. I think he has a few holes in his game, but he’s another solid pick. But the Eagles, who dominated the NFL in rumors leading up to the NFL draft, end up picking up (Nelson) Agholor from USC, who I really like in the draft. He’s a versatile and really a devastating return man. Overall you have Jordan Matthews and Agholor — they provide the Eagles with a couple of good weapons on the outside. We know they have good tight ends, and of course hey have DeMarco Murray, so their skill positions are rounding out. I’m pretty shocked they didn’t take Byron Jones there as much as they were linked to that because they definitely need help there in the defensive backfield.”

More Byron Jones

471748472_43635283_664051.JPG

Name: Byron Jones

Position: Cornerback/safety

Pick: No. 27 overall

College: Connecticut

High school: St. Paul Catholic (Bristol, Conn.)

Ht, wt: 6-1, 199

Notable: Jones helped himself tremendously at the scouting combine by turning in a 12-feet, 3-inch broad jump and a 441/2-inch vertical. He was also exceptional at the Wonderlic test, which measures cognitive ability, reportedly scoring an impressive 33. Jones, a high-character, team leader was nicknamed “Senator Jones” by his UConn teammates. In 37 career starts, Jones finished with 223 tackles, eight interceptions and 18 pass deflections.

Reaction score
He was also exceptional at the Wonderlic test, which measures cognitive ability, reportedly scoring an impressive 33.

As cmd said, Jones is the anti-Claiborne.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Love the idea of Jones at FS & Wilcox to SS.

Yep, me too.

If Jones is a great CB spot so be it, but the idea that we have two guys in the middle of the field now that actually have range, length, hands etc etc should help the defense a lot. Church is a try hard guy, but he cannot play downfield in coverage at all.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Yep, me too.

If Jones is a great CB spot so be it, but the idea that we have two guys in the middle of the field now that actually have range, length, hands etc etc should help the defense a lot. Church is a try hard guy, but he cannot play downfield in coverage at all.

I think Church could have a role on this team as a hybrid LB/DB type of player. A rover as they would call them.

Reaction score
How does this skill translate to the field?

Good question. If it were only that, who knows?

But as part of a bigger picture that includes his vertical, his agility drill times, and his very strong (unofficial) 40 time, this guy is clearly a gifted athlete. Plus, he's smart.

I don't care much for CBs generally, but it is easy to get enthusiastic about this pick.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
I'm not sure there has been a year where I've had less time to watch college football and research draft prospects than this year. So, I really don't know much about Jones.

I have said for years that I like the idea of taking a corner and converting them to safety. I like the idea of a safety that can actually cover some ground in centerfield or go up to the line and play man coverage.

I read something today where it mentioned that Dallas thought this guy might be like McCourty for N.E.

We shall see, I guess, but corner doesn't surprise me at all as they do like to target positions where they have high priced vets they want to move on from.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I'm not sure there has been a year where I've had less time to watch college football and research draft prospects than this year. So, I really don't know much about Jones.

I have said for years that I like the idea of taking a corner and converting them to safety. I like the idea of a safety that can actually cover some ground in centerfield or go up to the line and play man coverage.

I read something today where it mentioned that Dallas thought this guy might be like McCourty for N.E.

We shall see, I guess, but corner doesn't surprise me at all as they do like to target positions where they have high priced vets they want to move on from.

But they are not converting a CB into a safety. Jones is a 4-year starter. He played safety his first two years, and then went on to be a CB.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I didn't realize how big the dude is. 6'1" nearly 200. He's definitely the type of corner we need. Plus he has good ball recognition skills.

Reaction score
Yep, me too.

Wonder if Church could move into a rover role that more LB than DB?

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
But they are not converting a CB into a safety. Jones is a 4-year starter. He played safety his first two years, and then went on to be a CB.

My point remains. A player with the ability to play corner that they might target at safety. Seems most teams would play a guy at corner if he had any ability there

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Good question. If it were only that, who knows?

But as part of a bigger picture that includes his vertical, his agility drill times, and his very strong (unofficial) 40 time, this guy is clearly a gifted athlete. Plus, he's smart.

I don't care much for CBs generally, but it is easy to get enthusiastic about this pick.

Thx, I wasn't asking to be critical, I was seriously curious. You'd think these drills were designed to serve a purpose in evaluating skill sets that are beneficial for playing on Sundays. I'd love to know what that drill reveals about a players ability to play

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Some guy had a good 'test' of explosiveness. He just added the broad jump, the vertical jump and bench press numbers to gauge how explosive players were. Pat Kirwin was his name I think. Writer for NFL.com

Top Bottom