NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Figured we could use this thread to share some of your final thoughts, predictions, go on record, etc.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
-I like Mariota over Winston. Too many concerns with Winston, I'll let someone else figure that one out.. I hate the Eagles but they should trade the farm to get Chip's guy. You're getting a franchise QB and ensuring that Chip has the main piece to the puzzle. Worth the gamble. I think the Jets should do everything in their power to get Mariota too. Geno Smith is a bum... If I was the Browns on the other hand I wouldn't trade for him. They need too much. Can't afford to keep missing on QBs... Titan's should take a trade down. Mariota doesn't fit Wisenhunt.

-I like Eric Rowe as a FS better than I like Damarious Randall. Rowe likes to hit. Although I think Randall is a decent prospect, I'm not overly impressed by him. Definitely no first round free safeties in this draft.

-Without the off the field issues Peters is the best corner in this draft.

-Ray and Fowler are two of my favorite players in this draft. If we could catch Ray slipping I think it would be a huge steal.

-I've said this before but I love the Miami prospects heading into this draft. I am a fan so there's that. Dorsett, Duke, Perryman, Flowers, Chickillo are gonna be very good. Chickillo being my day 3 guy that I'd love to see working with Marinelli. Walford is already rubbing teams the wrong way, I think his attitude might keep him from reaching his potential its a shame too because he could be carrying on the tradition of good Miami TE's to the pros.

-A couple top prospects that I think will bust... Gregory, K. White, Dawson, Peat, Armstead.

-I think after L. Williams and Shelton there's a drop off at the DT position. M. Brown being the best of the bunch but all are so close I think if the Cowboys are looking at DT in the first they should trade back. I like Davis and Phillips but both have some issues that concern me (Davis- Mental; Phillips- Back). I really like Grady Jarrett as a mid round guy.

-Speaking of Clemson guys. Vic Beasley is gonna be a hell of a pass rusher. Watching the Clemson D his speed off the edge really stands out. But against the run I'm worried about him. I think if a team uses him like Von Miller he's gonna be one hell of a pro. I think if he goes to the wrong team that allows him to get swallowed up on run plays then there's a good chance he never meets expectations.

-Preston Smith reminds a lot of Justin Tuck the way he was moved around. I prefer him over Odighizuwa, who a lot of mocks have us getting.

-Gurley is the lone top back in this draft. Then I think you have the 2nd group of backs led by Gordon and Coleman. Which I'm very high on Coleman, he made a lot out of nothing at Indiana..

-I really hope we don't trade up for a RB. I could see if maybe Gurley got within range but thats looking like its never gonna happen so I'd much rather take a RB in rounds 2-4.

-I really hope we trade out of the first round this draft. Acquire more picks in the meat of this draft in rounds 2-3. The only reason I wouldn't trade down is if I could get Ray or Peters. Ray being a guy I'd move up for.

-I really hope we don't take a QB, WR, or TE early. We have too many other major needs to be spending valuable picks on those positions.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
-I like Mariota over Winston. Too many concerns with Winston, I'll let someone else figure that one out.. I hate the Eagles but they should trade the farm to get Chip's guy. You're getting a franchise QB and ensuring that Chip has the main piece to the puzzle. Worth the gamble. I think the Jets should do everything in their power to get Mariota too. Geno Smith is a bum... If I was the Browns on the other hand I wouldn't trade for him. They need too much. Can't afford to keep missing on QBs... Titan's should take a trade down. Mariota doesn't fit Wisenhunt.

I don't like either one of them, and am sincerely hoping Philly trades all kinds of picks and players to get him.

-I like Eric Rowe as a FS better than I like Damarious Randall. Rowe likes to hit. Although I think Randall is a decent prospect, I'm not overly impressed by him. Definitely no first round free safeties in this draft.

Rowe I like for the same reason I like Josh Shaw (and Alex Carter). You could try them at CB and if it didn't work, any of the 3 would probably be a solid FS with range.

-Without the off the field issues Peters is the best corner in this draft.

Agreed

-Ray and Fowler are two of my favorite players in this draft. If we could catch Ray slipping I think it would be a huge steal.

Might happen with Ray, be interesting to see what they'd do. Gregory may be there too.

-I've said this before but I love the Miami prospects heading into this draft. I am a fan so there's that. Dorsett, Duke, Perryman, Flowers, Chickillo are gonna be very good. Chickillo being my day 3 guy that I'd love to see working with Marinelli. Walford is already rubbing teams the wrong way, I think his attitude might keep him from reaching his potential its a shame too because he could be carrying on the tradition of good Miami TE's to the pros.

Flowers was one of the T's I wondered if we might pull the trigger on at 27 if they don't like the position players of need. Like his game. Bob has been all over Duke Johnson for months. I "watched the film" (Youtube) and there is definitely a lot to like about him.

-A couple top prospects that I think will bust... Gregory, K. White, Dawson, Peat, Armstead.

Gregory could definitely "weed" his way out of the league. Dawson's workouts were bad but I watched him play several times and he is a great player on the field. I don't know about his work ethic or football brains but on game day he was impressive. Agree on Armstead. White though seems to have a ton of talent and his 1 yr of production was off the charts. Peat is a head scratcher to me.

-I think after L. Williams and Shelton there's a drop off at the DT position. M. Brown being the best of the bunch but all are so close I think if the Cowboys are looking at DT in the first they should trade back. I like Davis and Phillips but both have some issues that concern me (Davis- Mental; Phillips- Back). I really like Grady Jarrett as a mid round guy.

Jarrett may end up going earlier than some think. Do like him.

-Preston Smith reminds a lot of Justin Tuck the way he was moved around. I prefer him over Odighizuwa, who a lot of mocks have us getting.

Good comparison. Definitely see the similarities. Similar type players too.

-Gurley is the lone top back in this draft. Then I think you have the 2nd group of backs led by Gordon and Coleman. Which I'm very high on Coleman, he made a lot out of nothing at Indiana..

Agree 100%. I'm thrilled if we somehow land Gurley but would be happy to get 1 of the other 2 as well.

-I really hope we don't trade up for a RB. I could see if maybe Gurley got within range but thats looking like its never gonna happen so I'd much rather take a RB in rounds 2-4.

There's a lot of RB talent in this draft w/o a doubt, but the Cowboys might sorta be stuck in no mans land at 27 and 60. The best two will probably go before then and the early to middle 2nd could see a run on the next crop of really good RB's. I don't care what Jones said the other day, RB has gotta be a priority for them. Waiting till 60 to try and get one means 1) you get the leftovers and whoever it is, might not be the fit they truly want and 2) Maybe unlikely, but you run the risk of maybe not getting anybody that can truly be "the guy" if the run on RB's has came and went. I wonder if they might pick Coleman at 27 if they get there, cant trade down and cant get a big time pass rusher or starting CB.

-I really hope we trade out of the first round this draft. Acquire more picks in the meat of this draft in rounds 2-3. The only reason I wouldn't trade down is if I could get Ray or Peters. Ray being a guy I'd move up for.

I think trading downs a strong possibility. Peters would be the ultimate cross your fingers pick. If he is as bad in the lockerroom and off the field as some say, then he may never help us. If he gets his head right, he is a bigtime CB prospect and probably a huge steal at 27.

-I really hope we don't take a QB, WR, or TE early. We have too many other major needs to be spending valuable picks on those positions.

I don't think they will unless they've moved down and acquired an extra pick or two. The other areas of the team are just so obvious in need (pass rusher, CB, RB, even LB).

I would say this in regards to QB. Everybody says they "have to get Romo's successor" and chides the team constantly for what happened when Aikman had to retire. Romo's back is a huge question mark. he might make it another year or two and be fine, or he might get hit the wrong way or twisted the wrong way and have to consider retiring after the season. If you are sitting there at 60 or 91 (60 is nearly a 3rd rd pick anyway) and you truly believe you can develop a guy into a quality starting QB and the guy is available, you have to consider taking him.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Perryman could be the hard-working version of Rolando McClain; getting the D fired up and ready to go with his physicality.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
I "watched the film" (Youtube) and there is definitely a lot to like about him.

I seen you guys mentioning still watching youtube highlight clips in the other thread... that shit is a thing of the past. I use draftbreakdown.com.

They have a lot of actual game film for most prospects and do a good job spotlighting certain players and speeding up the footage. Check it out if you haven't already.

If I woulda known you guys still did that I would've shared that site a long time ago.

When I do my "scouting" I use that site, read the scouting reports from the so called experts, and watch interviews of the player to get a better feel.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
I would say this in regards to QB. Everybody says they "have to get Romo's successor" and chides the team constantly for what happened when Aikman had to retire. Romo's back is a huge question mark. he might make it another year or two and be fine, or he might get hit the wrong way or twisted the wrong way and have to consider retiring after the season. If you are sitting there at 60 or 91 (60 is nearly a 3rd rd pick anyway) and you truly believe you can develop a guy into a quality starting QB and the guy is available, you have to consider taking him.

You make a good point in regards to the QB position.. As we get closer to draft time I'm warming up to the idea of selecting a QB.

Whats coming out with the Saints about Petty has got me thinking a little bit.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
You make a good point in regards to the QB position.. As we get closer to draft time I'm warming up to the idea of selecting a QB.

Whats coming out with the Saints about Petty has got me thinking a little bit.

Middy is even suggesting taking Petty in the 1st.

It wouldn't help us immediately but if you think he's the QB of the future and has all the physical and mental make up you like, getting him here and doing the Aaron Rodgers (sitting) is not a bad move.

I think it was Broaddus who was throwing it out there before last years draft that he thought Dallas people liked Petty quite a bit.

I still tend to think we wont take a QB today or tomorrow unless we've acquired an extra pick or two.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
I wouldn't love it but I wouldn't hate it either, I don't think. Guess it depends who is still available.

I'd imagine loving it more a couple years from now when Romo retires and Petty steps right in.

If its gonna be any QB tho I'm so glad its Petty over some of the other QBs.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Perryman could be the hard-working version of Rolando McClain; getting the D fired up and ready to go with his physicality.

Perryman's intensity and its affect on a defense is being very under sold. I'd love it if we got Perryman in the 2nd round.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Against two of the better defenses in the nation (TCU and Michigan St) Petty threw for 500+ yds in each game, 9 tds and 3 picks. He was right at about 10 yds per attempt.

They scored 102 pts in those two games.

I know some of its the system, but both those teams have real quality defenses, real pass rushes and quality defensive backs.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Impressive for sure. I don't question his talent really... I actually do like Petty.

My big thing is do we have the luxury of going away from a defensive pick? Especially in the first round.

But I'm definitely warming up to the idea of selecting him in the first assuming guys like Peters and Ray are gone and maybe a trade down isn't available.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Impressive for sure. I don't question his talent really... I actually do like Petty.

My big thing is do we have the luxury of going away from a defensive pick? Especially in the first round.

But I'm definitely warming up to the idea of selecting him in the first assuming guys like Peters and Ray are gone and maybe a trade down isn't available.

I probably wouldn't take him at 27 but if they do, I wont throw anything. It shows they are being somewhat forward thinking and that's not something this franchise has done much of for a long time.

Top Bottom