dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Random Draft Thoughts- Edited

I'll be around to see the Cabal go off on whoever Dallas picks Thursday (if they do pick Thursday). Friday however I wont be around for most of the live coverage, had promised my son that I'd take him to see Avengers Age of Ultron the night it came out, so will be watching DVR until late into the night afterward.

1) Barring trade ups or trading down, I am reasonably confident our first three picks will be CB/DE/RB in some order.

2) Guessing trading up this yr is highly unlikely, but I definitely wouldn't be surprised to see them move out of round one unless someone they love is sitting there for the taking.

3) Am believing S Jones when he says they arnt trading draft picks for veteran players. One caveat to that might be THIS years picks wont be traded for a veteran player. Obviously if Thur and Friday night come and go and no RB has been picked, something might be in the works after all.

4) Unless we get an extra pick or two Friday, I doubt we see us pick a QB until Saturday (if at all)

5) I wont be surprised if they invest two pretty high picks on DB's. Could see them taking a CB first and then adding a CB/FS prospect who could play either/or afterward.

6) PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE- let that doofus in Philly pull a Mike Ditka and trade everything he has for Mariotta.

7) Nobody has really talked about it much, but I wonder if they got stuck early with nobody they loved at 27 or 60 and not able to get a trade down they liked if they wouldn't take one of these higher rated OT's. I'm sure its a highly unlikely scenario, but Free is a little of a question mark having missed half of last season and being over 30 and we don't have a capable backup LT/RT on the roster.

8) Of all the national visits we scheduled, the only one that still is a little puzzling to me is Virginia's Eli Harold. I would have thought he'd be more of a 3-4 OLB fit as he seems too small for DE IMO. Wonder if he might be a candidate for that hybrid OLB spot they have been talking about for a couple seasons. I also read they sent one of the DL coaches to Benardrick McKinney's workout, which is interesting because he's always been a LB. He might be in similar line of thinking as Harold.

9) No real ideas who we pick other than what I said above, that I think we'll get a CB, DE & RB in some order with first 3 picks. If this year goes like previous years though, good chance at least 2 or 3 of our picks come from guys who came to VR for visits.

10) Like I said to start off, I am sure no matter who we pick there will be complaining but I do think after the last few drafts the scouting department has earned the benefit of the doubt now. If SJ and Red keep Jerruh reigned in we should be fine.

11) If we take a QB, my guess is its either Petty or Mannion. I think we might have to take either of them on Friday night though, and unless we have an extra pick I don't think its happening.

12) Probably unlikely, but I wonder if we could have a repeat trade down like we had in 2007 and end up getting a 1st rd pick in the following draft. There's quite a few teams in the early to mid 2nd rd area that could be targeting QB's. While the consensus is only two go in the first, it seems like almost every yr another QB or two sneak in the first rd late.

13) RB's I like for us (in order): Gurley (pipe dream), Gordon (getting close to pipe dream), Tevin Coleman, TJ Yeldon, Duke Johnson, Buck Allen, Jay Ajayi, Mike Davis, Jeremy Langford, David Johnson. I'd definitely take Gurley or Gordon if there at 27. Coleman they might have to take at 27 if they want him as he wont be there at 60 IMO.

14) DE's I like for us (no particular order, I list guys I think are within reason for us to have a shot at): Alvin Dupree (like Gurley and Gordon above, may be turning into pipe dream), Preston Smith, OO UCLA, Mario Edwards, Zadarius Smith, Danielle Hunter, Frank Clarke, Corey Crawford. Gregory may fall in our laps, but he is beyond stupid so I think I'd pass.

15) CB's I like (no particular order): Marcus Peters (might be best CB in draft, but his attitude/off field stuff is a worry), Kevin Johnson, Josh Shaw, Steven Nelson, Ronald Darby. Several Saturday guys too like Kevin White, Charles Gaines and Damian Swann

Last edited:
Reaction score
Great thread Dbair. Thanks for posting. I'll look at the draft in a whole new light after reading this.

~flush~

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Great thread Dbair. Thanks for posting. I'll look at the draft in a whole new light after reading this.

~flush~

This was just the appetizer. If you send me $9.99 you can gain access to my premium level information. More details are provided with that.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I always thought dbair was including himself when he addressed us as the cabal. Didn't know he saw himself as apart from us.

I'm pretty hurt right now.

bvhawkeye

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I am terrified that if they get "stuck" at 27 and none of our players are available and no trade down that they'll take Hundley of UCLA

Top Bottom