dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
ESPN - Not Found

This is one of my favorite articles to write every year: the All-Tape team, my list of the players I most enjoyed studying on tape during the draft process.

Shane Carden, QB, East Carolina

This guy has the "it" factor. He was the unquestioned leader on the field for ECU, displaying confidence without arrogance and getting in teammates' faces when the situation called for it. He takes a few too many unnecessary risks, but he's a big-time playmaker and shows a really great feel for the game. He reminds me of Connor Shaw from the 2014 draft class. His release and arm strength are a concern in projecting him to the NFL level, but he has great football intelligence and is one of the most naturally accurate passers in this class in the short to intermediate range. He'll never be a full-time starter in the league, but he's someone you want on your roster because of the way he competes and prepares.

Ameer Abdullah, RB, Nebraska

I love the way this guy plays the game. He's only 5-foot-9 and 205 pounds, but he is an aggressive runner between the tackles who fights for extra yardage after initial contact, and he's fearless in taking on bigger defenders in pass protection. He doesn't project as a workhorse back in the NFL due to his size, and he's had ball-security issues in college, but he plays a lot bigger than his frame indicates; he just runs angry, as though he's on a mission. The way he works in and out of creases, exploiting his exceptional quickness to make defenders miss, really stands out. Lastly, you won't find many players with better football character. You want this guy in your locker room.

Amari Cooper, WR, Alabama

Cooper is the No. 3 overall prospect on my board, and therefore is the highest-ranked player on this list. I've included him here because I just really appreciate the way he works as a receiver in terms of his route-running skills and his savvy. From getting off of the press, to the precision of his routes, to getting his head turned around immediately as he's coming out of his break, to knowing where the sticks are on third downs and making sure he gets beyond them, he is just a really polished receiver. That's rare to see in college football right now, given the spread offense frenzy. When I studied Cooper's tape it felt like I was watching a five- or six-year NFL veteran.

Justin Hardy, WR, East Carolina

He reminds me of 2014 All-Tape team member Jarvis Landry, formerly of LSU and now with the Dolphins, in that he's a fierce competitor who isn't afraid to do the dirty work over the middle. He fights for yards after contact and is an aggressive, scrappy blocker. His draft stock is hurt by his lack of breakaway speed and average overall athleticism, but he has the chance to succeed as a Day 2 pick because of his elite ball skills and knack for getting open.

Nick O'Leary, TE, Florida State

Teammates love this guy. Opponents can't stand him. As a blocker, he'll take on multiple guys per play and keep blocking even after the play is over. As a route runner, he'll fight through contact and has no problem with working the middle of the field. As a runner after the catch, he works hard for every yard and does a great job of protecting the football. There were so many times on tape when I'd see him barking at his opponent, both when he laid a big hit on somebody and when somebody laid a big hit on him. He plays crazy.

Brandon Scherff, G/T, Iowa

Was there really any question as to whether Scherff would be on this list? This one was a no-brainer. Scherff is a tone-setter who gets under the skin of opposing defenders. He plays through the whistle and finishes every block, and while his lack of ideal length puts into some question his ability to hold up in pass protection as an NFL left tackle -- personally, I wouldn't bet against him -- his floor is as an outstanding guard because of his quickness and power as a run-blocker and overall approach to the game. He's the toughest offensive lineman in the 2015 class, as well as the nastiest.

Trey Flowers, DE, Arkansas

This guy shows up to play on every single snap. His motor is outstanding, as is his toughness, and he plays with fire. He isn't the best athlete for the position, but he's a relentless pass-rusher who possesses above-average power against the run, doing a good job of setting the edge. He played all over the Razorbacks' defensive front, and that versatility projects to the NFL as well.

Grady Jarrett, DT, Clemson

He can get blown off the ball at times due to his lack of ideal size for the defensive tackle position, but his quickness and motor make him a disruptive 3-technique prospect. There's a swagger to his game when you watch him on tape, and he doesn't gear down or give up when facing a double-team. He also shows good effort in chasing running plays down from behind or getting after the quarterback.

Hau'Oli Kikaha, OLB, Washington

Kikaha is one of my favorite players in this draft class. He doesn't have the timed speed of the top pass-rusher prospects, but he's effective at getting to the quarterback because of his power, his relentless motor and his ability to finish plays. He isn't discouraged if his initial plan fails; in fact, one of the things I like most about him is that he frequently shows a counter-punch when reached by the offensive lineman. Whether it's converting speed to power, or moving back to the inside, or continuing with relentless pursuit, he consistently manages to be disruptive as a result of his second effort. Unlike some of the other pass-rushers in this class, just because you reach him initially doesn't mean you'll keep him from getting to the quarterback. He's also really good at setting the edge versus the run, and is just a really complete player.

Eric Kendricks, LB, UCLA

Kendricks is the best cover linebacker in this draft. He covers a lot of ground in zone, and does a good job of holding up in man. He's also a playmaker versus the run. He lacks ideal size and power for the position, but he makes up for it with his quickness, instincts and tackling ability. He plays really fast but is almost always under control, and he always seems to be around the ball and making plays. We have an early second-round grade on him and ranked him as the No. 1 inside linebacker in this draft class, and it wouldn't surprise me if he sneaked into the first round.

Denzel Perryman, LB, Miami (Fla.)

Perryman was the vocal leader of the Hurricanes' defense, acting as their quarterback on D. He puts in a lot of work in the film room and it shows up on the field, with his ability to pick up on tendencies and quickly read and react to make plays. He doesn't have ideal speed or quickness but his range is more than adequate because of his instincts, and he hardly ever fails to make the tackle once he's in position.

Senquez Golson, CB, Ole Miss

He's undersized at 5-foot-9 and 185 pounds, but he's fearless in coming up in run support. Occasionally he'll simply get outmuscled by bigger receivers -- this was the case against Auburn's Sammie Coates -- but for the most part, he plays much bigger than his size. He's also a big-time playmaker, having come down with nine interceptions in 2014 and 16 for his career. He's really good at jockeying for position and has excellent ball skills for a corner.

James Sample, S, Louisville

Sample has only one full season of starting experience, and that can show up in his play at times on tape as he'll get caught drifting or gambling in coverage. But he's a natural playmaker against both the run and the pass, and he is really aggressive in run support. He plays the game with an edge, has good closing burst to the ball-carrier and is an effective tackler.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Carden looks just terrible to me. Classic Air Raid system QB who can't play in the NFL. Doesn't matter how much leadership and smarts you have if you don't have an arm, which even McShay admits is a problem.

What about Adullah? We haven't talked as much about him. He might be too small to be a Murray type, but what if he only carried it 65% of the time or so? I think he might be one of those guys who goes later but is pretty good.

Top Bottom