Reaction score
I had a lot of fun at Texas Stadium the couple times I went.

Basically refuse to fly out and go to that abortion of a "football" stadium Jerry built. Even if Gene picked out the art.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
32 years ago today I was jerking off in my bedroom. Not much has changed.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I had a lot of fun at Texas Stadium the couple times I went.

Basically refuse to fly out and go to that abortion of a "football" stadium Jerry built. Even if Gene picked out the art.
You would walk in and feel the history. It was a special place that didn't need any art to try to make it that way. It had a soul, something the new stadium totally lacks and never will have.

Reaction score
Texas stadium had history because the Cowboys won championships there. Besides that the stadium was a dump. The outside of the stadium was butt ugly. Inside was dirty. Hole in the roof created horrible shadows. Huge crown on the field. I went to the last game there against the Ravens. Not a game to remember.

I think the playoff game at AT&T stadium was a much better experience. The artwork thing is over talked about. I think its not needed, but its only on the ramps. Its not a focal point in the stadium. I think calling the stadium an abortion is a little over the top. Its worth going once in your life.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I think calling the stadium an abortion is a little over the top.
I call it a abomination. A parody of the organization. A lurid and garish Lulu Roman with too much makeup.

Doesn't matter what championships are won by this team while in this shithole, it will never have the history or the soul of the old one.

Texas Stadium had history and character and soul, not merely because of winning.

Now, if you want to try to transform this one, first get rid of the roof or simply stop using it for Cowboys games. Get rid of the pole dancers and the crap art. Get rid of the hulking screen over the field and opt instead for large ones behind each end zone (this will have the happy result of getting rid of the glare from the glass doors which is twice as bad as anything Texas Stadium had as problems) And re-orient it to point north-south like the old stadium did - this was done on purpose to make the visiting team have to be in the sun while our bench was in the shade. Make it alot less friendly to the visiting team, make it alot more about football instead of about Jerry.

If I were to buy this team I would move it out of that crap facility and build one alot more along the lies of the old one.
I think the playoff game at AT&T stadium was a much better experience.
Any playoff game is going to be a better experience than a regular season game. Ever been to a playoff game or championship game in Texas Stadium?

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
re-post: my dad took these when he was down there on business in 1970

80796072-SLD-001-0150.jpg

80796324-SLD-001-0306.jpg

80796324-SLD-001-0416.jpg

Reaction score
Now, if you want to try to transform this one, first get rid of the roof or simply stop using it for Cowboys games.

Texas stadium wasn’t only used for Cowboy games.

Get rid of the pole dancers and the crap art.

I would be fine with getting rid of the extra dancers but its not that big of a deal.

Get rid of the hulking screen over the field and opt instead for large ones behind each end zone

The screen is fine where it is. Every NFL stadium is getting bigger screens. Not that big of a deal anymore.

(this will have the happy result of getting rid of the glare from the glass doors which is twice as bad as anything Texas Stadium had as problems)

Those light rays coming in looks cool. They make great shots.

If I were to buy this team I would move it out of that crap facility and build one alot more along the lies of the old one.

So you would only spend 35 million on a new stadium?

Reaction score
A lot of what Doomsday is saying is true, IMO.

But what I hate most about the new stadium is the absolute lack of homefield advantage we have. It's pathetic.

Reaction score
And re-orient it to point north-south like the old stadium did - this was done on purpose to make the visiting team have to be in the sun while our bench was in the shade.
AT&T Stadium was built to face the exact same directions as Texas Stadium.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
AT&T Stadium was built to face the exact same directions as Texas Stadium.
Except, it doesn't. The sun coming in through the glass in the West end zone should tell you that. Actually, the fact that there even IS a West end zone should tell you.

Reaction score
The home field advantage was great in the playoffs. Its up to the fans, not the stadium.

Here's my gripe with homefield advantage, re: the stadium.

First off... no acoustical advantage was built in. Look at Seattles Stadium. It was designed to where a lot of the sound is trapped and reverberates.

Second off... Cowboys Stadium is such a monstrosity that if you're a fan of an opponent, and you have the chance to travel to see your team play an away game... when you look at the schedule, what game are you most likely going to go to? Cowboys game. To check out the hyped to hell stadium.

I agree that a lot of it is on the fans, but Dallas has long been known to be a cheese and whine fan base (sorry theebs). We've been in that stadium for how many years now? I've heard a hell of a lot of talk about how home games sound like away games, even from players. Only once have I heard of us having a real homefield advantage re: crowdnoise, and yes it was the Detroit game.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
The stadium sucks for football. It's all style and flash and grandeur, but football is a distant second -- at best -- on its priority list.

Which makes it perfect for Jerry.

And you can put me on the list of people who didn't care for Texas Stadium much, either. Other than obviously the great teams that played there, it wasn't anything special and needed to be replaced. I still liked it better than Jerryworld, though... At least there you had some elements of the weather to deal with.

And oh BTW... The sun getting in people's eyes through the windows at Jerryworld is absolutely ridiculous. WTF happened to those huge drapes they had at one point? WTF do people orient football stadiums north-south anyway? But if it ran north-south it wouldn't have been as visible to all the people on I-30, so we can't have that.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Except, it doesn't. The sun coming in through the glass in the West end zone should tell you that. Actually, the fact that there even IS a West end zone should tell you.
I remember the team talking about this when the direction the new stadium faces was brought up. I can't find that info right this second, but this map shows the orientation of the old Texas Stadium.

parking_map.jpg

It's not exactly north/south, and it's not exactly east/west. It's kind of northeast/southwest. Just like AT&T stadium.

The reason the sun didn't come through the end zone before was because there were no glass doors behind either end zone. But the sun came through the hole in the roof and shone down on the opposing sideline most of the game during day games. That doesn't happen that way if the stadium had run directly north/south. It would have gone from one sideline to the other.

Top Bottom