bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
motherfucker was born and raised in Wisconsin, yet he rooted for Duke

Reaction score
motherfucker was born and raised in Wisconsin, yet he rooted for Duke
Wisconsin has gone something like 50 years since their last national title. They were terrible when Tony was growing up. It's the same for me with Duke. There was no college basketball in Texas in the early 90s. So Duke fan it is.

Reaction score
Fuggin bandwagon fans make me sick.

Just ignore the only reason I'm a cowboys fan is because I jumped on the bandwagon during the 1992 season.

:awkward

Reaction score
I don't call it a bandwagon fan if you continue to be a fan during the bad years.

Kids are impressionable... if you become a fan of a team as a kid, it usually happens in one of two ways. You have family members who are big fans of a team and the kid starts rooting for the team his family roots for. Or the kid watches a team who is successful and latches on.

All of my rooting interests come from when I was a kid. The Cowboys won Super Bowls in the 90s, and though I live in Texas, I didn't live in Dallas growing up, and never attended a game until they moved into the new stadium. So it wasn't like I was at Cowboys games constantly... they were on TV every Sunday though. I became a Mariners fan in 1995 when Griffey was there, they made a massive comeback in the standings that season to make the playoffs, and they beat the Yankees in a 5 game series. I became a Stars fan when they moved to Dallas in the 90s. I like Duke because they beat UNLV in 1991 and the Laettner shot in 1992. The Mavericks were terrible when I was growing up, so they really weren't in my consciousness. I did like the Lakers when I was really young, but it was never something where I had to catch their games. I really became a Mavs fan around the time JKidd, Jim Jackson and Jamal Mashburn were there. My family was more Texas Longhorns football fans than anything, and my grandparents lived in Austin when I was a kid, so I follow them in college football.

It's just the way of life. But I haven't jumped from fanbase to fanbase in my adult years... basically once I picked a team, I stuck with them. That's not bandwagon jumping.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Wisconsin has gone something like 50 years since their last national title. They were terrible when Tony was growing up. It's the same for me with Duke. There was no college basketball in Texas in the early 90s. So Duke fan it is.

IMO, you follow the local teams (Wisconsin or Marquette) whether they're winners or not. That's just part of being a fan. Not every Wisconsinite defected to Duke or UNLV during those years. If you're living in Utah or Montana and there's no NFL team to ally with, that's when you get to pick and choose.

Reaction score
Yeah I agree. I started playing football and watching it regularly around 7th grade. Being in Knoxville, the Vols were always on TV, and so were the Cowboys. They'd always show different teams on the AFC channel so I never really got into them. Cowboys and 9'ers were on constantly as the nearest "local" team then was the Falcons. For some reason, I just didn't like the 9'ers.

I took those 90's Super Bowls for granted. And I spent countless hours arguing about the team on message boards during our lean years -- all the while thinking each year would be our year. I was the jackwagon who thought the year we signed Westbrook, Hardy, and Glover was going to be special. Kept citing the Patriots who had just went 5-11 to SB winners. Could be us, right????

Thought Emmitt would have a career year the year we traded for Galloway. Logic was Ismail and Galloway would keep the defenses so deep that Emmitt would get 5-10 yards before being touched.

I was always such a moronic homer. Now I'm still moronic but very jaded and cynical.

Reaction score
IMO, you follow the local teams (Wisconsin or Marquette) whether they're winners or not. That's just part of being a fan. Not every Wisconsinite defected to Duke or UNLV during those years. If you're living in Utah or Montana and there's no NFL team to ally with, that's when you get to pick and choose.

Yeah maybe but it fucking sucks being loyal to losers.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Where are you from?

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Where are you from?

Wisconsin, mostly (1976-94), but my family lived in Irving, TX and Plano in the early 1960s. Dad used to take my older brothers to games at the Cotton Bowl. Although I was born in NJ in 1967, the Cowboys were "handed down" to me by my bros like a pair of old blue jeans.

Reaction score
That's how it used to be when local teams were the only ones on TV, and playoff games weren't broadcast as readily. Not the way it was in the 90s.

And your Cowboy fandom doesn't follow this opinion... handed down or not. If you were being consistent, you would be a Packers fan.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
That's how it used to be when local teams were the only ones on TV, and playoff games weren't broadcast as readily. Not the way it was in the 90s.

Huh? Out of state football and basketball games have been broadcast since the 1950s. Those classic Notre Dame-Michigan Wolverine clashes didn't make me stop rooting for the Badgers. I'd have less animosity towards Tony is he'd just admit he's a frontrunner.

And your Cowboy fandom doesn't follow this opinion... handed down or not. If you were being consistent, you would be a Packers fan.

Giants or Jets, actually. And unlike Tony, my family was on the Dallas bandwagon when they were a lousy expansion team.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
too bad Grindr wasn't around then :tiptoe
I attended a Cowboys-Packers game in 1991 at Milwaukee County Stadium. Had my heavy wool Cowboys "Letter jacket" on, it had a massive embroidered Cowboys star on the back and on the front, had "Letters" representing all the Cowboy SB wins, playoff wins, division championships....

Towards the end of the game I turned around and yelled to the crowd, "Packer backers, meet the Packer whackers!"

They were mostly cool about it, they knew their team sucked and Dallas was up and coming - they even took me out for beers and brats after the game, a group of mostly ladies to boot!

That old stadium, My Gawd what a run down piece of shit it was, but it was a great place to watch a Cowboy beatdown of the Fudge!

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I attended a Cowboys-Packers game in 1991 at Milwaukee County Stadium. Had my heavy wool Cowboys "Letter jacket" on, it had a massive embroidered Cowboys star on the back and on the front, had "Letters" representing all the Cowboy SB wins, playoff wins, division championships....

Towards the end of the game I turned around and yelled to the crowd, "Packer backers, meet the Packer whackers!"

They were mostly cool about it, they knew their team sucked and Dallas was up and coming - they even took me out for beers and brats after the game, a group of mostly ladies to boot!

That old stadium, My Gawd what a run down piece of shit it was, but it was a great place to watch a Cowboy beatdown of the Fudge!

A brisk, overcast day. Novacek caught like 11 passes, and Erik Williams saw his first game action. Good thing we were facing a turd like Blair Kiel.

always hated County Stadium, mainly because the Brewers always beat the Yanks. both football teams had to stand on the same sideline due to lack of space. a real dump.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Anyhow, funny epilogue to that was - the ladies were all attendees of UW-Madison, and weird of weirds I ran into that same group of them in Amarillo Texas about a year later. They were there for some reason, can't remember what, and I was driving a taxi at the time and wound up picking them up at their hotel and taking them out on the town for party time!

Philadelphia Eagles star linebacker at the time - William Thomas - (Local HS alum) had a club in downtown Amarillo so we started there and wound up closing it down. Whatta night. Anyhow about a hour after I dropped them back off at their hotel I got a radio call telling me to go back to Thomas' club for a "special" and pick up one more of those kids who had somehow got lost in the shuffle. It's 4am, but I go back anyway. Door is unlocked, so I go on in and it was one of the Madison chicks, Kelly, who had HID IN THE BAR and waited for everyone to disappear before calling the cab company back and asking for me.

We'd had a good time both back in Milwaukee and again in Thomas' club that night, but I had no idea and she never let on there was any attraction there. Anyhow suffice it to say we had even better good times that night and into the morning - of course AFTER I secured Thomas' club and got out of there. She thought we would just stay there and party, and I was like, pretty sure this is illegal.

Anyhow, I could prattle on but y'all don't want to read this crap.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
A brisk, overcast day. Novacek caught like 11 passes, and Erik Williams saw his first game action. Good thing we were facing a turd like Blair Kiel.

always hated County Stadium, mainly because the Brewers always beat the Yanks. both football teams had to stand on the same sideline due to lack of space. a real dump.
But it cleared somewhat and the sun came out, mid third quarter. I remember that because now, I was able to get some good pictures with my Canon A-1.

And yeah, both teams on the same sideline looked weird.

Top Bottom