dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
If they were to get McClain signed before the draft, I wonder if they'd take a QB in first or second round. I think Broaddus was talking up Bryce Petty for the Cowboys before last years draft as someone we'd look at hard when he did come out. Then there were the report that Wade Wilson attended Petty's recent pro day and that they have him coming in for a private workout as well. There were some comments that his pro day workout was so good that he may have propelled himself into the late 1st or early 2nd rd.

In regards to Mannion, he's been coached in NFL style schemes and I was thinking I read somewhere that one of the Garrett's was one of his asst coaches there. CMD do you know?

Tony Romo’s replacement? 10 QBs Cowboys could consider in this year’s draft
Jon Machota Email jmachota@dallasnews.com
Published: March 23, 2015 10:00 pm

Considering Tony Romo’s age — he’ll be 35 in April — and his history of back problems, the Cowboys need to identify his eventual successor. Brandon Weeden and Dustin Vaughan are the next two in line on the team’s current roster.

But should they draft a player to groom over the next couple seasons?

The problem is this draft doesn’t appear to have anywhere near the depth of last year’s class at the position. Heisman Trophy winners Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota will likely be long gone by the time the Cowboys are on the clock. Of the prospects remaining, there’s no guarantee they’ll be any better than Weeden or Vaughan.

However, we’re not going to completely write off the position, so here are 10 names to keep on your radar.

1.) Bryce Petty, Baylor. The 6-3, 230-pounder threw for 3,855 yards, 29 touchdowns and seven interceptions in 2014. Petty was even better in 2013, totaling 4,200 yards, 32 touchdowns and three interceptions.

Expert’s take: “NFL evaluators felt like Petty’s senior season was disappointing, but those same evaluators love his size, leadership and intangibles. He needs a year or two of practice time and camp work to learn how to get through his progressions, but has the intelligence to do that. Petty must have a structured offense that won’t ask him to make plays outside of the pocket.” – Lance Zierlein, NFL.com

2.) Brett Hundley, UCLA. In three seasons as a starter, Hundley (6-3, 227) threw for roughly 10,000 yards with 75 touchdowns and 25 interceptions.

Expert’s take: “Once viewed as a potential high first-round pick early in his UCLA career, Hundley’s limited growth and substantial pocket issues as a senior have lead to a host of concerns for evaluators, and it’s unclear if his potential will ever be reached, as it hasn’t during his three-year starter career at UCLA. Still, he’ll be in the mix for a top-50 pick due to the lackluster quarterback class and his tempting upside.” — Eric Galko, Optimum Scouting

3.) Garrett Grayson, Colorado State. Grayson (6-2, 220) averaged 3,800 yards, 28 touchdowns and nine interceptions over the last two seasons.

Expert’s take: “Grayson is an intriguing prospect. I liked the way he handled himself at the senior bowl practices. He showed he had the intangibles to lead. From what I have seen, it wouldn’t surprise me if a team drafted Grayson in the first round, but I would feel more comfortable taking him in the second.” — Greg Gabriel, National Football Post

4.) Sean Mannion, Oregon State. Mannion (6-6, 229) threw for 13,600 yards, 83 touchdowns and 54 interceptions in four seasons.

Expert’s take: “Mannion, at least he’s schooled in NFL stuff, (but) he’s got to be quicker in everything he does; the drop steps, delivery, getting out from under center. I think he can do all that, he’s a smart, sharp kid. I really like him. … He looks a lot like Mike Glennon from a few years ago.” — Charles Davis, NFL.com

5.) Shane Carden, ECU. In three seasons, the 6-2, 220-pounder averaged 4,000 yards, 29 touchdowns and 10 interceptions.

Expert’s take: “Has NFL size and NFL intangibles but might not possess the necessary physical traits to project into a starter’s role in the NFL. His competitiveness, intelligence and production will matter more to teams that are less reliant on traits-based quarterbacks. Might be looking at a career as a quality backup.” — Lance Zierlein, NFL.com

The next 5:

Bryan Bennett, Southeastern Louisiana.

Brandon Bridge, South Alabama.

Cody Fajardo, Nevada.

Connor Halliday, Washington State.

Jerry Lovelocke, Prairie View A&M.

Follow Jon Machota on Twitter: @jonmachota

Reaction score
I want to draft Romo's eventual successor, but none of those names really appeal to me. I'm wary of any of the guys who need development, because I seriously question Wade Wilsons ability to coach guys up. In fact, I'm not even sure what Wade really does. We've had a number of young QB's during his time as QB coach, and not a one of them have amounted to anything anywhere.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Sign Tyler Wilson. Zero risk. If a QB presents itself, fine, but this isn't the draft where you force a QB.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I still like Petty way more than most, but yeah, might as well forget it... We're not going to develop anyone. It's all-in on Romo and we'll worry about another QB when that time comes.

One possible exception: Mannion, just because of the Garrett/Riley connection. But who knows if they listen to anything he says anyway.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I think ya have to wait until next year or even the year after, for a more QB rich draft. This one is just bereft and you have many more pressing needs..

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
They obviously have some interest in Petty. Am wondering if Mannion is being looked at too because of the connections.

But I do remember Broaddus talking up Petty alot before last years draft.

I still have some hope for Vaughan though.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I still have some hope for Vaughan though.
I've been keeping tabs on him, they like his progress so far. He was a demon on the scout team all season. Granted, that's against our horrible secondary. He's got two years left on his rookie contract.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I'll say this, at least Vaughan is big enough and has a big time arm. I'd much rather try to develop someone like him than waste a pick on a Shane Carden who has a pop gun arm.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I'll say this, at least Vaughan is big enough and has a big time arm. I'd much rather try to develop someone like him than waste a pick on a Shane Carden who has a pop gun arm.
Hes a very "high character" kind of guy too, already married and settled down. Not a party boy, and takes his craft very seriously.

overused

Practice Squad
Reaction score
" I'm not even sure what Wade really does."

I am Wade HATER FROM WAY BACK - IMO he does nothing

I would not mind bringing in B Bennett or Chris Bonner

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
They all do until they hoist a Lombardi or two.

No, some are rally good and just aren't a part of a team good enough to win it all..Dan Marino, Philip Rivers, etc..

Vaughan is a #3 guy with a big arm and little else. If he is ever in the conversation to start we will be returning back to the Anthony Wright/Chad Hutchinson/Clint Stoerner days.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
No, some are rally good and just aren't a part of a team good enough to win it all..Dan Marino, Philip Rivers, etc..

Vaughan is a #3 guy with a big arm and little else. If he is ever in the conversation to start we will be returning back to the Anthony Wright/Chad Hutchinson/Clint Stoerner days.

That ultimately may be true, but there's no way to know that today. Have to see how he develops.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
This of course is based on your extensive knowledge of him. Oh that's right, you have none.

It's: Big arm, highly intelligent, driven and mature. Cool under pressure and doesn't panic. Has all the tools.

Does that mean he can step right in and be a superstar? Of course not. It COULD be but, neither could Romo his first few years either.

Neither Wright, Hutchinson or Stoerner have the pedigree Vaughan has. Or even the pedigree Romo had.

What are the odds Dallas hits twice, on undrafted Div 2 quarterbacks? Pretty slim I'd guess. But if you're going to try one, Vaughan is the best one to be trying.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Pedigree? They were Division I quarterbacks, playing against much higher competition than Vaughan did... maybe you aren't sure what pedigree means?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Pedigree? They were Division I quarterbacks, playing against much higher competition than Vaughan did... maybe you aren't sure what pedigree means?
They didn't excel in their league. Romo and Vaughan, did. Div 1 QBs, there's alot more of those. Dime a dozen you might say and the fact they played Div 1, by itself means little.

Top Bottom