Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys coach Jason Garrett and vice-president Stephen Jones said Monday that the team wants free agent linebacker Rolando McClain back and are in play for his services even though there has been no progress in contract talks.

Garrett and Stephen Jones are attending the owners meetings this week.

The Cowboys have already seen two linebackers depart via free agency. Justin Durant signed with Atlanta, and Bruce Carter went to Tampa Bay.

The Cowboys took a step toward filling their needs at linebacker by signing Minnesota's Jasper Brinkley on a two-year deal.

But McClain has proven game-changing abilities.

His bid to capitalize on his comeback season in free agency hit a snag when he was notified by the NFL last month that he will be fined four game checks for violating the league's substance-abuse policy.

McClain will appeal the fine, according to a source.

McClain finished second on the Cowboys with 108 tackles in 2014 and led the team with 12 tackles for loss. He joined the Cowboys last July in a trade with the Baltimore Ravens, who signed him in 2013.

The Cowboys' hope, should they re-sign McClain, is to plug him in at middle linebacker in 2015 and slide Sean Lee, who missed all of last season with a knee injury, to the weak side.

Read more here: Dallas Cowboys still in play for linebacker Rolando McClain | The Star Telegram The Star Telegram

Reaction score
Ed WerderVerified account ‏@Edwerderespn

#Cowboys VP Stephen Jones says team negotiating for LB Rolondo McClain return and player doesn't seem to be talking with other teams now

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
He makes the defense better, bring him back. Just put a lot of incentives in his contract.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
He was a bright spot on our defense.
When he wanted to be. For me he had way too many times where he would beg off with this little injury or that, none of them of course x-ray-able and none of them lasting very long. To me he seemed out of shape and would just get fatigued, then feign a hammy or some such shit. Plus, he takes plays off.

Let guys keep getting away with this and pretty soon it permeates the whole team. If someone makes him a offer - which I doubt happens for the very reasons I just named - then fine, let him walk.

I don't trust him.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Like it or not, when healthy, he was the best player on defense. If his head is in it, he's an asset.

Get this guy back in the fold, you can't say this hasn't been a great offseason if it gets done. The only thing keeping this offseason from A+ for he is, McClain and a pretty good running back.

Maybe they pick up a RB early that contribute, maybe not. Idk. I'm not sold on McFadden carrying the load. Ryan Williams no. Joseph Randle shouldn't even be on the team anymore.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Imagine how impressive(on paper) this defense would be if Morris Claiborn wasn't a complete failure and utter waste of DNA and Brandon Carr wasn't a huge piece of shit.

The defense would be a free safety away from being legit.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
There's nothing at all impressive about the DL. DLaw has potential and might come into his own at some point. LB corps is hit and miss at best. Secondary is just a disaster.

You are a defense away from being legit.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
We're better off with McClain. One less need to fill in the draft and will allow us to focus on other areas.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
should I scrub your posts which suggested he could be easily replaced?

I think I have always said I had hoped we'd find a way to keep him, but if we dont we will survive.

If they sign him, its one less position we have to account for fairly early in the draft next month.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
If they sign him, its one less position we have to account for fairly early in the draft next month.
I don't think they rely that heavily on him, even if signed it is still prudent to go after another Mike in this draft.

Reaction score
I don't know, I think Lawrence and Crawford are risers. Mincey is good rotation guy. Has a knack for making plays. With Hardy on, we just need son more depth.

Top Bottom