NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Ex-Chargers LB. Drafted in the 7th round out of Missouri. Seems like a special teams guy. He did start 5 games last year for the Chargers.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
@RapSheet: The #Cowboys gave former #Chargers ILB Andrew Gachkar a 2-year deal worth up to $5.5M, source says. Rolando McClain insurance?

Reaction score
Gachkar was the 234th overall pick of the NFL draft by the Chargers in 2011, but made the team out of camp and has seen action in 63-of-64 games in the last four seasons. He’s started eight of those games at linebacker and played a core role on special teams in San Diego, which led to some early interest in his services during free agency.

The Cowboys will likely bring in other options at linebacker in free agency and/or the draft, but Gachkar should get a shot at more defensive playing time with Bruce Carter and Justin Durant out of the picture in Dallas.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
For what it's worth, Pete Prisco listed him in an article about potential FA steals saying:

"Mostly used as a special-teams player his first three seasons, he started five games last season and showed the ability to cover ground. I am not saying he's a star in the making, but for the right price -- $2 million per season -- he is worth a look."

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
@dtsturner: Andrew Gachkar had 14 special teams tackles in 2014. To put that in perspective, Dwayne Harris led the Cowboys with 12 ST tackles last year

Reaction score
Seems like when the team is cap strapped and options poor, Jerry becomes forced to make few moves using little money. But when options open up, like a very plentiful free agent pool (that most of the playoff and Super Bowl teams over the past 10 years made good use of) or cap space to spend, or even high draft picks, Jerry is lost. This isn't even the Mincey, or Bernadeau, or Nate Livings type oddness. This is a 2009 "draft the special teams depth" kind of reasoning.

Reaction score
Not sure I agree. The corner we signed could turn into a starter for us. A number of reports point to him having a lot of ability but Rob Ryan misusing him. Which shouldn't surprise anyone.

Even this guy has starting experience and becomes an immediate ST contributor.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
I share the same thoughts as Mid.

The negatives of this signing are obvious... At most he seems like a part-time starter. Price tag seems a bit high for a guy we know little about and with only 8 career starts. This is money most of us would much rather see used towards a player that can contribute more in the role as a full time starter. Like a NT worth a shit for example.

BUT To put a positive spin on it and the reasons I like this signing... The deal is worth UP TO 5.5 mil. Implying there's some incentives, probably playing time based. He can play multiple LB positions. He's durable unlike some of our LBers last year which bodes well for playing behind Sean Lee or as insurance to whatever happens with McClain. From what I read he seems like a really good special teams player helping us with the loss of Harris. He's young and ran a 4.52 coming out of school so he brings some speed to the LB group.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
@TheJordanRoss: Andrew Gachkar played for Matt Eberflus in college and Rich Bisaccia in San Diego. Could've played a part in his decision to come to Dallas.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't care for white linebackers

Andrew-Gachkar-Chargers.jpg

Bluenoser

In the Rotation
Reaction score
He signed for vet min +incentives. I think he will be a solid role player. Also we have the same first name so...

Top Bottom