Reaction score
Getty Images
Running back DeMarco Murray has left the Cowboys for the Eagles. Owner Jerry Jones has blamed it on the salary cap.

“We have great appreciation for his skills, and if there was no salary cap in place, DeMarco would be a Cowboy,” Jones said in a statement issued by the team. “This came down to an allocation of dollars within the management of the salary cap.”

That’s a obvious explanation, but the Cowboys could have found a way to keep Murray if they really wanted to. They didn’t think he deserved a $42 million contract over five years with $21 million guaranteed because they think that, dollar for dollar, they can get better performance from someone much cheaper.

“Obviously there is emotion involved in these decisions, but it is critical that there be must be discipline involved as well,” Jones said. “If it were a question of having an open checkbook with no salary cap constraints, we all know things would have worked out differently.”

That part is 100 percent accurate. With no cap, Jones would spend millions upon millions in an effort to build a championship team. While many believe it would throw the NFL’s competitive balance out of whack, it would be interesting to see how groups of hungry, underpaid players would compete with collections of superstars in the ultimate team sport.

“We have recently made significant commitments to top players who are currently on the team, specifically at key positions such as quarterback, left tackle and wide receiver, and we were comfortable with the offer that we made to DeMarco to include him in that structure,” Jones explained.

The statement from Jones strongly implies that the team will have a hard time fitting another big-money tailback within that structure, which would seem to take the Cowboys out of play for Adrian Peterson, if the Vikings are willing to trade him.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't think they need a high cost RB. Too many good one's in the draft and Randle while a knucklehead, did show good skill running behind this line last yr. Ryan Williams might could be a dependable #2

I wouldn't sign any free agent RB until after we see how the draft plays out.

Reaction score
Hate the man with a passion but credit due... made a great decision here. Tough one, for him as we all know he loves stars.

Now if only he'd shitcan the OJT HC, I might stop wishing death on him.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
If you're relying on Joseph Randle to be 1-1A, you're not really making a sound decision.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
If you're relying on Joseph Randle to be 1-1A, you're not really making a sound decision.

wouldn't count on him, but he COULD do the job

he averaged almost 7 yds per carry and had a few long runs as well...has great hands as a receiver

that said, I think our starting RB shows up on draft weekend

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Randle may be Felix Jones part 2. Or Julius Jones part 2. Which would make him Feju Jones.

Reaction score
They didn’t think he deserved a $42 million contract over five years with $21 million guaranteed because they think that, dollar for dollar, they can get better performance from someone much cheaper.

Not a better performance. Just much cheaper.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score

he averaged almost 7 yds per carry and had a few long runs as well...has great hands as a receiver

Troy Hambrick looked decent in his role backing up Emmitt.

Randle is a moron. He's not a 20-25 carry a game back. Yeah, you could go RBBC, but you have to have a stable of backs to do that.

Excuse me if I don't trust a ****** and walking injury to man the backfield for what was essentially an NFCCG team last year. If the FO doesn't see this team as capable of playing to that level again next season, then fine. But, if they have any intention of winning a championship next year, Randle and Williams is not a plan. It's a gamble.

VTA

UDFA
Reaction score

Meh. Troy Hambrick looked promising in limitedrelief duties, once he was called to carry the load that talk stopped right away.

It sucks to lose Murray, but fuck him anyway. These contract year heroes are suspect and all the talk about 'respect' is full of crap. Respect is honoring a team that gave you a spot, despite never staying healthy for an entire season until contract year rolls around.

Reaction score
Meh. Troy Hambrick looked promising in limitedrelief duties, once he was called to carry the load that talk stopped right away.

It sucks to lose Murray, but fuck him anyway. These contract year heroes are suspect and all the talk about 'respect' is full of crap. Respect is honoring a team that gave you a spot, despite never staying healthy for an entire season until contract year rolls around.

True 13 carries against the weak Colts defense and had 37 yards. But he has great hands so don't count him out. :eek:k

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Randle neither looks nor runs anything like Troy Hambrick.

Pretty awful comparison guys. Also never mind the fact this OL and supporting offensive players are eons better than what was here when Hambrick got his chance.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
I'm glad a couple others mentioned Hambrick. There's a difference between being an effective backup and being a feature back. A huge difference.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Randle neither looks nor runs anything like Troy Hambrick.

Pretty awful comparison guys. Also never mind the fact this OL and supporting offensive players are eons better than what was here when Hambrick got his chance.

You're smarter than that. It's not a comparison of the two players. The point is, you see this every week in the nfl, the change of pace backup pops a long run here and there. It happens. It doesn't make them a #1 RB.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Plus everyone mentioned that one of Murray's best qualities was his work ethic, leadership, and professionalism.

Pretty much the exact opposite of our dumbshit underwear thief.

Top Bottom