dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
CMD probably just wet himself

Cowboys sign LB Keith Rivers

Updated: March 4, 2015, 6:52 PM ET

By Todd Archer | ESPN.com

IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys have multiple linebacker needs but filled one of them by signing Keith Rivers to a one-year deal on Wednesday.

Rivers was cut by the Buffalo Bills on Feb. 17 after signing a two-year deal worth $5 million with the club in 2014. He started three games last season and played in 12 but recorded just 16 tackles as his playing time decreased dramatically late in the year.

The Cowboys have three free-agent linebackers in Rolando McClain, Justin Durant and Bruce Carter. While the signing does not preclude any from coming back it might affect Carter the most because Rivers is a strong-side linebacker.

The Cowboys have had discussions with the agents for McClain and Durant about returning but both could test the market when it opens next week

Rivers, who turns 29 in May, was a first-round pick of the Cincinnati Bengals in 2008 and spent two years with the New York Giants (2012-13) before joining the Bills. For his career he has 291 tackles, three sacks and two interceptions.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
24575647.jpg

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
He's a Trojan.

As far as how or if he helps the Cowboys, there's a reason he was available 6 days before free agency begins. He's a solid depth signing. He's a much better reserve than the piece of crap Zone hero, Cameron Lawrence. I think it also protects us some from losing Durant, Carter, and McClain to free agency.

He's 28, 29 by the time the season starts, 6'2" and 235 lbs. He was a damn good player at USC, which is why he was drafted 9th. His career seemed on the rise when Hines Ward cheap shotted him and broke his jaw. I'd love to see him finally figure things out here and be a solid SAM and reserve LB.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Figures I'd make fun of him then he signs here.

Time for a dbair level 180. FORMER 1ST ROUND PICK! MARINELLI MUST HAVE VOUCHED FOR HIM!!

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Bob, do you work hard to be a fag or does it just come naturally for you?

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I remember we brought him in for a visit way back in 2008. Everyone was surprised because he was projected to go way before we picked, which he did.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
I trust the FO when it comes to bargain hunting free agents but hopefully this is a depth move and not a guy we're going to rely on as a starter.

Reaction score
I trust the FO when it comes to bargain hunting free agents but hopefully this is a depth move and not a guy we're going to rely on as a starter.

Yeah. My thoughts. But I'll always be a sucker for signing "bust" first rounders in hopes they finally turn it around for us. Low risk high reward.

Reaction score
Compares To: KENDRELL BELL-Kansas City...Rivers might have garnered lots of postseason honors in 2007, but there was something amiss in his play. He is not the most instinctive open-field tackler and seemed to be favoring his nagging ankle problems, thus limiting his range and pursuit skills. Five tackles behind the line of scrimmage do not warrant first-team All-American honors. He has the frame that you look for in an outside linebacker, along with the quickness, but there are legitimate questions as to whether he has the valid instincts or lower body power to be an every-down player. Like Bell, he can make the big play, but there needs to be more consistency in his play. With a marginal feel for the passing game, especially when working in the zone, the jury is out on this guy, much like it has been on Bell since earlier in his career. Can this be the "boom or bust" pick of the 2008 linebacker class?

NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - Keith Rivers

Kendrell Bell!? Remember him? There was a moment in the Kendrell Bell draft that Many of us thought Dallas should have taken him. Well now we have his imposter fragrance. :)

Reaction score
Wasn't it Bell who the scouts were screaming for when we instead took Quincy?

Then Bell won DROY.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Yeah. My thoughts. But I'll always be a sucker for signing "bust" first rounders in hopes they finally turn it around for us. Low risk high reward.

Agreed. If you are going to gamble, gamble on talent.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score

I'm with that. You never know when it will just click for a player.

Reaction score
We've done it a lot.... going all the way back to Aaron Glover, Dimitrius Underwood, Bryant Westbrook etc... but it hasn't worked out much for us.

Top Bottom