Reaction score
Adrian Peterson reportedly has requested trade to Cowboys

Brandon Schlager Perform Media RSS
February 21, 2015 10:02pm EST

Vikings running back Adrian Peterson reportedly has made it known that he would like to play for the Cowboys, according to a report from Bleacher Report. But team officials have no desire to accommodate Peterson's trade demands.

The report said that Peterson has spoken with Vikings general manager Rick Spielman to request a trade. Despite that, Spielman and other team officials will not entertain the idea of dealing Peterson to any team, "especially not to the Cowboys," per the report.

Peterson is under contract with the Vikings for 2015. But he told ESPN on Thursday that he is "still uneasy" about returning to Minnesota, where he has played his entire career. Peterson said he felt abandoned by the franchise during his legal issues, for which the NFL placed him on the commissioner's exempt list last September, causing him to miss the rest of the 2014 season.

"There were people (in the organization) that I trusted, who knew exactly what was said, that weren't heard from," Peterson said on ESPN. "It's hard to say (what my future will be).

"I'm still uneasy, to be honest with you," he added. "I'm still uneasy about a lot of things that took place within the organization. Of course those guys ultimately supported me, and I'm grateful for that. But ultimately, with me being able to be on the inside and see how cards were dealt, how things were worded, this, that and the other, it's about protecting your brand, your organization, what you have built. In the (grand) scheme of things, not one person counts over that. I get that."

Since Peterson is under contract (he'll make $12.75 million this year), the Vikings ultimately have the upper hand in any decision involving the 2015 season. But if Peterson were to hold out, the Vikings would need to reconsider their course, Bleacher Report reports. The Cowboys are thought to have interest in Peterson because of the uncertainty of surrounding pending free agent DeMarco Murray and his contract negotiations.

Peterson, 29, is still serving his suspension, effective until April 15 unless a judge rules in favor of his immediate reinstatement to the NFL. He and representatives of the NFL Players Association were in Minneapolis on Feb. 6 for the hearing in federal court. Judge David Doty has not yet ruled on the matter.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
He should have just been quiet and then privately approached the team about releasing him. Trust me, a good portion of the Vikings brain trust would have been okay with distancing the team from the child abuse scandal and oh by the way, his huge 2015 cap number.

Now he's basically forcing the Vikings into a corner and they are going to play hardball. I bet they try to get the Cowboys to give up some modern day version of the Herschel Walker-trade. I would love for him to eventually find his way to Dallas, but not if it means giving up valuable picks.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
JMO from what I've heard on radio reports and so on, but I think they distanced themselves last year because of media pressure, not because they genuinely wanted to wash their hands of him. Zimmer was on a local show the other day and he definitely wants him back. I'm sure they feel with him that if Bridgewater can play, as it appears maybe he can, they can be a decent team.

I mean, it's been kind of ridiculous to me that teams are pretty much forced to release these players but then they go to another team. If the league is going to allow them to play, why let them play for someone else instead of you? Just look at all the people who want Hardy here.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Just a few thoughts...

-Everyone within the Vikings organization has gone out of there way the past few weeks to praise Peterson and say they want him back.

-Why is Peterson so pissed at the Vikings? They did what any franchise would do in their situation. Peterson was the one that put the whooping on his kid and texted the baby momma about it. Own up to it. Nobody else's fault here but his own.

-Which makes me think maybe Peterson is just using this as his way out of an organization he doesn't want to be in anymore and it has little to do with this past situation.

-Wonder if we were to lock Dez up long term, then tag and trade Murray to the Vikes straight up for Peterson... How doable would it be and would it be worth it..

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
His age concerns me, so I wouldn't want s contract for more than two years. I had rather see the team draft Gurley.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Now he's basically forcing the Vikings into a corner and they are going to play hardball. I bet they try to get the Cowboys to give up some modern day version of the Herschel Walker-trade. I would love for him to eventually find his way to Dallas, but not if it means giving up valuable picks.

I cant see anyway Dallas trades for him unless its just conditional late rd pick

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
-Wonder if we were to lock Dez up long term, then tag and trade Murray to the Vikes straight up for Peterson... How doable would it be and would it be worth it..
How bout send both Dez AND Murray to the Vikes, and they give us Adrian and their first round pick this year.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
He should have just been quiet and then privately approached the team about releasing him. Trust me, a good portion of the Vikings brain trust would have been okay with distancing the team from the child abuse scandal and oh by the way, his huge 2015 cap number.

They can try. This is only going to look worse for the Vikings. They can be rid of Peterson and with the cap savings go after Murray. It'd be a win-win fr all.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Just a few thoughts...

-Everyone within the Vikings organization has gone out of there way the past few weeks to praise Peterson and say they want him back.

-Why is Peterson so pissed at the Vikings? They did what any franchise would do in their situation. Peterson was the one that put the whooping on his kid and texted the baby momma about it. Own up to it. Nobody else's fault here but his own.

-Which makes me think maybe Peterson is just using this as his way out of an organization he doesn't want to be in anymore and it has little to do with this past situation.

Not everyone. Just because Zimmer and the GM expressed wanting Peterson back, don't qualify that as everyone. Some of the players wanted nothing to do with Peterson, and awhile back even Wilf expressed turning the page on Peterson. The Minnesota media was pretty harsh on Petertson.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Ok, Adrian and a first and second.

The Dez tape is out there ya know. His new agent doesn't want to play ball with Dallas for anything approaching reasonable. Unload him while you can. Draft a new WR, this draft is crawling with talent at the position.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score

At 30, he sees this as an opportunity to join a better team (in his home state). Odd that he would make this request not knowing Murray's fate.

What did the Vikes mean by "especially not Dallas"? We're not rivals or anything. Maybe still pissed at the Walker trade.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
-Why is Peterson so pissed at the Vikings? They did what any franchise would do in their situation.
Because he isn't very smart.

Like you said, the Vikes pretty much had to do what they did because of media and NFL pressure. No other franchise would've done anything different.

Well, maybe this one.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
its because its a dumb idea

dude is a major winner
Doomsday, Taking the wrong side of arguments since 2014.
His new agent is unfriendly, he represents a huge cap hit if they have to franchise him, there's something really bad on video lurking out there, he is immature - and there's ALOT of WR talent in this draft. Dump him now, while you can still get some value for him.

Jerruh should at the very least explore the trade market on him.

Nobody here would take let's say, two number ones for him?

Reaction score
No one's going to give us two number ones for Dez. If we franchised him, even with the non-exclusive tag, he would be here.

Top Bottom