ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
How do you think this will work out in the end?

There's a lot of scuttlebutt out there that the Cowboys don't quite trust Dez enough to give him a massive long term deal with big guaranteed money. I've heard national and local media people say that Dez is still very immature off the field, whatever that means, and the Cowboys are concerned about it. Today Steve said at the combine that it looked more likely we'd franchise Dez and give the longer term contract to Demarco.

Is this all posturing from the club? Do they really intend to give Dez a big multi-year deal but they're just trying to knock the price down a little? Or is there really a possibility they don't lock him up long term?

My guess is they just want to get the price down a bit, because I can't imagine Jerry letting probably his all-time most successful project walk out the door. Still think Dez gets a mammoth contract, but now I'm not quite as sure.

Reaction score
Probably franchise him. Dez should take a slight home town discount. Get the guaranteed money now before any chance of a serious injury. Trying to break the bank isnt always the best way to go.

Reaction score
Wonder if the team would tell Dez and DeMarco that they're signing one and franchising the other. If you don't want the franchise tag, then better agree to a deal.

I guess that they could both refuse to sign a deal and then force them to franchise one and let the other go.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
he'll get paid. when the Boys find someone good, they hold onto them for dear life because they have no faith in finding an adequate replacement. I still prefer D. Thomas in Denver.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I like that kid from Auburn. While possessing the same physical traits as Dez; he's not nearly as polished as Dez was coming out of college.

He might even fit Garrett's route tree better as he's much faster than Dez is.

edit: Sammie Coates

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
He's rated as a bottom of the 1st guy. He would be both BPA and a need; if we don't come to some sort of agreement contractually with Dez.

Not excited about the Dline guys that will potentially be there at our pick. Sure as hell wouldn't draft a RB there either.

Reaction score
After Dez is signed, there has to be some changes, either in the players or the plays. Since the plays won't change, the players should.

Here's my plan.

Justin Hardy Draft Profile – NFL.com

Justin Hardy || East Carolina Highlights á´´á´° || NCAA's All Time Leading Reciever - YouTube

This is the type of WR that should be the number 2 WR for Dallas, assuming his 40 time is in the 4.45 range. Justin Hardy is a first down machine who can catch anything. Move T-Willy to #3 or 4 bc of his intermittent productivity and limits. I think Hardy could slide to 3rd round too.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
I think we'll sign Dez long term. It's too stupid to risk losing him. A team would gladly trade two number ones for a top 5 WR.

This just seems like an attempt to keep the guaranteed money down.

The tag for a WR is set at around 12.5Mil this year, right?.. How much higher is Dez coming in at for that tag to make sense?

I read awhile back Megatron and Fitz are the only two WRs that average 16mil a year. Next closest guy is mike Wallace at 12mil a year. I could see Dez falling somewhere between there.

I'd much rather give Dez the 13.5/14mil a year and risk losing Murray over signing Murray long term and tagging Dez with the possibility someone snags him from us.

Reaction score
Just a general comment:

It isn't all about what the Cowboys want. A big part of what happens with Dez will be determined by his representation ... what they think is fair, what they tell their client, etc.

If the sole objective to get Dez as much money as possible, chances are that we won't be a Cowboy long term. There's always another team with more salary cap ...

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
A team would gladly trade two number ones for a top 5 WR.
I'd almost like to have those two number ones and let Dez go on his merry way. Use one of those picks to get the next top 5 wideout. One with less baggage and immaturity.
It isn't all about what the Cowboys want. A big part of what happens with Dez will be determined by his representation ... what they think is fair, what they tell their client, etc.

If the sole objective to get Dez as much money as possible, chances are that we won't be a Cowboy long term. There's always another team with more salary cap ...
I think all this is right as well.

Reaction score
I think they've mishandled Dez from the beginning. The leaks to the media are so transparent. They're just dicking him around at this point.

The only other reason could be that they really want Suh and are trying to work the finances.

Reaction score
Obviously, not knowing what's going to happen, I think the fact this is a story signifies a massive shift in the way this franchise has done business since Jimmy left.

In the past Jerry wouldn't have hesitated to sign Dez to a massive deal, cap be damned. He's done it with way riskier propositions like Roy Williams, Miles Austin, trading two 1sts for Joey Galloway. And we've made worse deals than those three if you expand it to other positions. He hardly hesitates to reward his successes with big contracts.

Now we have perhaps the best WR this franchise has ever seen, and now we're playing hardball? You can't even pin it on the off-the-field issues... we've rewarded guys with more concerning lives off the field as well.

There's nothing else I can think of that signifies the reduction of Jerry's influence in this franchise like this does. I don't know that Stephen is going to be a 180 from his father, but I'm starting to get optimistic about it.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
^^ Agree, I just hope Steve doesn't take things too far the other way, from being a coddling friend of the players to being too much of a dick.

I mean, it's great to be coldly analytical and all, but Dez is the kind of emotional player I'd think you wouldn't want to piss off.

I just wonder what these off-field concerns are. If it's silly stuff like sagging pants at the mall, I don't see why they don't just pay him. If it's something more serious, I'm curious what those issues really are.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
I'd almost like to have those two number ones and let Dez go on his merry way. Use one of those picks to get the next top 5 wideout. One with less baggage and immaturity.

There's no guarantee that pick will get you a Top 5 WR. And more than likely we would be getting late firsts from a team that feels they're one playmaker away.

Too big of a gamble.

Top Bottom