Reaction score
IRVING — Henry Melton’s season is over.

The defensive tackle was placed on injured reserve after suffering a hairline fracture in his right knee during the Cowboys’ 44-17 victory over Washington, a source said.

Melton’s spot on the active roster was filled by linebacker James Anderson, who signed with Dallas on Tuesday.

Drafted in the third round by Carolina in 2006, Anderson has started 69 games in his career. He has spent time with five teams and was cut by Atlanta on Dec. 24. He will reinforce a depleted linebacker corps that could enter the Cowboys’ playoff game against Detroit without Anthony Hitchens, the rookie who suffered a right high-ankle sprain Sunday.

As for Melton, his future with the Cowboys is in doubt. After joining the club in March as the team’s biggest free-agent acquisition, he contributed five sacks but none since Nov. 2. Come March, if Melton is on the roster on the first day of the 2015 league year, he will receive a three-year, $24 million extension with $9 million in guaranteed money. If the Cowboys cut him, he’ll become an unrestricted free agent.

“I can’t think about that,” Melton said. “I love it out here in Dallas. I love the fans, love everything. So right now we’re just working for this playoff push.”

Melton, though, won’t be supplying anymore elbow grease.

Top Bottom