Reaction score
DeMarco Murray established career highs in carries (32) and catches (nine) in the Dallas Cowboys' 41-28 win against the Chicago Bears, continuing a trend of heavy use the entire season but coach Jason Garrett doesn’t see Murray slowing down, Todd Archer of ESPN Dallas reports.

“DeMarco is a guy who has shown he can handle the workload, both as a runner and a receiver,” Garrett said. “He wants more. He never wants to come out of the game. At different times, we’ve done a good job of getting the other guys in there and they’ve taken advantages of their opportunities and we’ll continue to do that, but he’s a bellcow player and it doesn’t look like he’s slowing down at all to me. He feels great. He says he feels great and really looks like he’s playing at a very high level.”

Garrett said the use had more to do with Chicago’s scheme than a specific plan to get Murray the ball that much.

“That used to happen a lot with Emmitt [Smith] back in the day,” Garrett said. “When you’d go play the Giants, they play a lot of Cover 2 and Emmitt would carry the ball a lot and they’d be trying to take the outside receivers away and we’d dump the ball down a lot. That was a little bit of the game the other night, whether it was all Cover 2 or not, there was a softness to their coverage where they weren’t going to give up a lot of big plays and Tony [Romo] did a good job of checking the ball down.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
So a lot of cover-2 means you have to play Demarco, that a backup can't get 6-10 plays? Got it.

Mark my words, when Murray does break down because he's been abused like a rented mule, it'll be chalked up to terrible luck, and another excuse will be born.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Way too many touches this year. I agree.

My only question, and maybe it doesn't work like this, but with so many nagging injuries and games/touches missed over the first few years, can he afford to take this kind of workload on?

I feel like he should be the freshest 4th year player ever.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The little niggling injuries will return, as soon as he gets his new contract.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Why do you bozos care how many touches he gets?

It seriously just looks like complaining for the sake of complaining. He's shown absolutely no signs of wearing down and he's the best player on the team this year.

You guys cried for 3 seasons to give him the ball more. Now he gets it more and it works, and you are still complaining. This idea that you have to use two backs and split carries is hogwash. If a guy can handle the load then he should handle the load. Just because it isn't the norm anymore doesn't mean its wrong.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
The little niggling injuries will return, as soon as he gets his new contract.

I have been thinking about this all season. Money is one hell of a motivator. Murray has had a great year, but he seems to be limited on his vision. It seems like he misses out on gaining yardage because he doesn't see the running lanes. He will try to run over a defender instead of running to daylight. I think his increased workload will make this the best season of his career, but he won't come close to duplicating it in the future. After he signs a new contract, I expect the injuries will return. I may be alone , but I would let him leave if he wants big money. A big salary cap hit and a decrease in production is not a good combination. That is his future IMO.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I think some of you need to go back and review the actual injuries he's had, then get back to me with this idea that he's somehow had just little minor nagging things (intimating that he somehow wasn't all that hurt) and that this yr because he'll be a free agent next yr, he's been able to avoid those "little injuries"

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I may be alone , but I would let him leave if he wants big money. A big salary cap hit and a decrease in production is not a good combination. That is his future IMO.

You're not alone, if its a break the bank deal to keep him I wouldn't want us to either.

He'll get some interest, but in a league where RB's ar devalued now, I think its likely nobody would have to sign him to a mega deal. Including us.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
You're not alone, if its a break the bank deal to keep him I wouldn't want us to either.

He'll get some interest, but in a league where RB's ar devalued now, I think its likely nobody would have to sign him to a mega deal. Including us.
I would rather see the Cowboys let him walk and draft one of the better RBs. I think the heavy workload this year will take it's toll on Murray and shorten his career. He hasn't had a history of staying healthy with fewer carries , so this year could easily cause his body to break down. If he walks, I sure hope AP isn't his replacement. I would rather gamble on a second contract with Murray than pay AP .

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score

It seriously just looks like complaining for the sake of complaining. He's shown absolutely no signs of wearing down and he's the best player on the team this year.

You guys cried for 3 seasons to give him the ball more. Now he gets it more and it works, and you are still complaining. This idea that you have to use two backs and split carries is hogwash. If a guy can handle the load then he should handle the load. Just because it isn't the norm anymore doesn't mean its wrong.

I think some of you need to go back and review the actual injuries he's had, then get back to me with this idea that he's somehow had just little minor nagging things (intimating that he somehow wasn't all that hurt) and that this yr because he'll be a free agent next yr, he's been able to avoid those "little injuries"
So give him all the carries in the world because he can handle it... Except for all those other years when he had serious injuries.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
dbair would save himself a lot of time if he just copied and pasted GO COWBOYZZZZ in every post.

I would say he would save us all time too but no one really reads his posts anymore.

Reaction score

I can't speak for everyone else, but here is why it bothers me...

I think we resign him at years end. Jerry loves his "stars." No way does he let his 2k workhorse back go.

With that in mind, I feel like were running him into the ground. It's a small sample size, but if you look at the 5 backs who previously eclipsed the 400 carry mark, their production level dropped considerably the following year. It even basically spelled the end to a fews career.

Add to it, he does have an injury history, dating back to college. This is his only year he's remained healthy. If were going to make a push in the playoffs, were going to need him. So there's no reason he needs 40+ touches against the lowly Bears when we've got a double digit lead.

I'll go on record as saying I expect him to get injured before the year is out.

I just think our backups have done decent jobs when given the opportunity to get some touches. I would increase their workloads.

If I had confidence we were going to let him leave after this year I wouldn't really say anything about his carries. Although I would worry about his having fresh legs, or health in general, come January if we get there.

Top Bottom