Reaction score
Daughter of former Dallas Cowboy Pettis Norman is slain
By ROBERT WILONSKY AND TRISTAN HALLMAN

The daughter of beloved former Dallas Cowboy Pettis Norman was found shot to death in her downtown apartment Monday evening, police said.

Police officers found Sharneen “Shawn” Norman, a former music executive in New York City, at the DP&L Flats on Browder and Commerce streets. Detectives are treating the case as a homicide, but have released little information about what happened or possible suspects.

Norman, who was divorced, lived alone. Her father, a 75-year-old former Cowboys tight end who became a successful businessman, said there was no sign of a break-in at the apartment.

His daughter’s 50th birthday would have been Wednesday, and her family already celebrated. Now, he is planning her funeral and trying to make sense of her death.

“She was just a very loving person,” Norman said. “That’s the person we know. That’s the person other folks are describing to us.”

He said he texted his daughter, the eldest of three, Saturday concerning a deal involving the family’s hair care business, Liquid Love. But when he and his two other daughters couldn’t reach Shawn after that, they started worrying.

He said he called police Monday to request a health and welfare check after his daughter didn’t show up for work.

“Normally, if we call or text she will respond very quickly,” Norman said.

Officers were dispatched to the former Dallas Power & Light building shortly after 5 p.m. Monday, according to Officer Tramese Andrews, a Dallas police spokeswoman. Andrews said the manager let officers into Shawn Norman’s apartment, where they discovered her body.

Pettis Norman deferred questions about the investigation to police. Maj. Jeff Cotner said the investigation is continuing, and detectives stayed up all night working the case. Cotner was tight-lipped on other details.

Norman said his daughter, who graduated from Howard University in Washington, loved to work and made friends easily. Shawn Norman was married briefly in the 1990s but had no children. She came back to Dallas from New York about two years ago to work with her family’s hair care business, her father said.

Norman, who starred for the Cowboys from 1962 to 1970, said he saw his daughter four or five times a week.

“I’ve raised a very close family,” said Norman, whose wife, Margaret, died in 1991 and was eulogized by Jesse Jackson.

Norman’s grandson, Alex, plays defensive tackle for the Texas Longhorns. “We always tried to have a strong family bond with each other, and I tried to pass that down to the kids and grandkids and so forth. It’s just so difficult.

“We're just trying to deal with this the best we can and then let the evidence point us to where else we need to go.”

Reaction score
Thought the same thing when I saw the headline... who?

This kind of story though is just heartbreaking. You have so much contact with a family member and then you lose touch for a few hours, and you're thinking no big deal at first. Then hours turn into the overnight, you don't hear from them in the morning, they don't show up for work... I can't imagine how agonizing that level of worry is. Sad deal. And the story doesn't give much in the way of suspects. Did she have an angry boyfriend, or ex? Or was it just completely random?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Literally never heard of this player before.
Oh, Man. I really in a way feel sorry for the younger Cowboys fans. You missed soooo much. Pettis was the original #84 and was a important player in the formative years.

norman.JPG
Played 162 games, caught 183 passes for 2,492 yards and 15 touchdowns.

I have a friend who never was really that much into sports, never saw Emmitt Smith play. And I felt really sorry for her, for what she missed. So we watched the NFL Network's "A football life" on him, then watched the Giants game where Emmitt - dislocated shoulder and all - took over the game and became a one man wrecking machine. She had never seen anything like that, that display of courage and the overcoming of adversity.

And at the end of it SHE was sad, for what she had missed all those years. She's a Cowboys fan now, of course.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
You'd have to be old to remember him.*
Sad for the family.

*remembers him well
Now get off my lawn.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
in other words, the anti-Middy
Oh yeah, she gobbles up anything Cowboys now, wants to see all she missed.

Super Bowl 27 blew her away.

Jackie Smith's dropped pass in SB 13 made her cry.

This did too - the promo/intro for the 1992 NFC Championship game - NOBODY sets the table quite like Pat Summerall.

[video=youtube_share;Xxkii-_hsG0]http://youtu.be/Xxkii-_hsG0[/video]

Reaction score
Played 162 games, caught 183 passes for 2,492 yards and 15 touchdowns.

So he was the original Escobar, eh?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Back then there wasn't a whole hell of a lot of passing. But Norman was a outstanding blocker too. He was Witten way before Witten.

Reaction score
There was no shortage of quality at TE. At the time, I thought Billy Truax was an upgrade. He had a lot of success with the Rams, earlier.

Ditka was playing on bad wheels when he was with the Cowboys, but he always brought everything he had.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
There was no shortage of quality at TE. At the time, I thought Billy Truax was an upgrade. He had a lot of success with the Rams, earlier.

Ditka was playing on bad wheels when he was with the Cowboys, but he always brought everything he had.
Yes TE became a signature position with Dallas, starting with Norman.

Top Bottom