Reaction score
Three Thoughts on Cowboys' 33-10 loss to Philadelphia
November, 29, 2014
By Jean-Jacques Taylor | ESPNDallas.com

Three thoughts on the Dallas Cowboys' 33-10 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles on Thursday:
I think that everything Jason Garrett has done to change his team’s mentality and get them to focus only on the task at hand will be tested next Thursday against Chicago. Lose this game and it could trigger a free fall that leads to yet another December swoon. Win the game in a difficult environment and the Cowboys will have proved something to themselves.

I think play-caller Scott Linehan might want to use some first-down play-action passes just to create a little impetus for the offense. Linehan has done a terrific job much of the year, but the Cowboys have struggled on third down recently. Instead of relying on converting third downs -- even if they’re manageable -- the Cowboys might be served by trying to notch some first downs on first or second down instead of having to convert third-down plays.

I think it’s incredibly hard to play defense with no semblance of a pass rush. The Cowboys can generate some pressure, when they play with a lead. Other than that, they give opposing quarterbacks way too much time to complete passes.
Key stat: 7

The Cowboys have allowed seven scoring drives on their opponents’ first possession of the game. No team has allowed more. And no team has allowed more than the five touchdowns the Cowboys have given up on their first possession.

This is a trend that defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli really has to solve because it affects the Cowboys’ ability to play the game the way they want to play it. Dallas is at its best when it has the lead and uses its strong running game to dominate time of possession, which puts pressure on the opposing offense.

Player to Watch: free safety J.J. Wilcox
Wilcox continues to improve, but the reality is he’s not the kind of player the Cowboys would pick if he were available in this year’s draft.

That’s not a knock on Wilcox, but it’s an example of the way the Cowboys have changed their thought process about the draft over the past couple of years. The Cowboys prefer productive players from big schools.

Wilcox played safety for one year at Georgia Southern before the Cowboys took him in the third round because they had a need at that position.

Wilcox has emerged as a full-time starter this season, and he’d be better if the Cowboys used him in the box instead of free safety. He still makes some mistakes of youth, but Wilcox is becoming more of a physical presence each week.

He had 10 tackles against Philadelphia, and delivered a couple of big hits. He’s been solid, but the Cowboys need him to be better in the last four games of the season.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Player to Watch: free safety J.J. Wilcox
Wilcox continues to improve, but the reality is he’s not the kind of player the Cowboys would pick if he were available in this year’s draft.

That’s not a knock on Wilcox, but it’s an example of the way the Cowboys have changed their thought process about the draft over the past couple of years. The Cowboys prefer productive players from big schools.

What the fuck is JJT talking about? He talks about some change in draft philosophy the past couple of years and JJ Wilcox was drafted in 2013. And Demarcus Lawrence, you know, that guy we traded up for this year, is from Boise State.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
That's part of the process. If you change stuff every couple of years, you can sell it that now you have a new and better way.

And your dumb fans and idiots like JJT buy it.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
What I wonder about is how the stuff plays out in the pre-draft process.

Monte Kiffin was fresh from USC and was supposedly high on TJ McDonald.

Now TJ went 71st to the Rams and we took Wilcox 80th but pictures of our board showed TJ wasn't even on it.

Does that mean Monte wasn't as high as he was letting on or did the scouts discount him and feel TJ was not draftable?

In 2 years, TJ has started 21 games, has 123 tackles, 9 passes defended, and 1 INT. Pretty decent stats for a guy not even on our board.
In that same time, Wilcox has started 17 games, has 99 tackles, 4 passes defended, and 1 INT.

I wonder if there is accountability for whoever said JJ Wilcox is a third rounder and TJ McDonald isn't draftable, especially when we had someone with a ton of experience and info on TJ.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Good questions, cmd. I've wondered about McDonald and remembered those stories when I've seen him playing pretty well for the Lambs.

I bet they'd blame Ciskowski and say that's why he was demoted. But I wonder how much of that is truth and how much is BS.

I do seem to remember that Marinelli was high on Wilcox, right? Or maybe Henderson, but I do clearly remember hearing Henderson that draft night saying it would take Wilcox a couple of years before he "got it" because he was so green.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
This isn't rueage for us not drafting a USC player. TJ like all of our current safeties, is a Strong Safety, and I desperately want a Free Safety. I just wonder about a lot of the draft decisions. I remember Monte Kiffin saying BW Webb was a steal in the 4th round and that he was an elite athlete. So was he just regurgitating what the scouts told him or did he actually think that? If those were his thoughts and the war room listened to him, where was his opinion on TJ McDonald, a guy who started 3 years for him?

My main point is that inconsistency is killing us. No duh, obviously, but to think our scouts and drafting philosophy are this inconsistent too is disheartening.

The same way I want to know who is accountable for the draft day blunders, I'd like to know who was the guy who said Anthony Hitchens was worth a 4th rounder. Many of us, me included, felt it was an epic reach and another 4th round disaster, but so far that picks look very solid. That's the guy I want the Front Office to listen to more in the future.

With my luck, it's the same guy who felt TJ McDonald was not draftable.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Kiffin loved Wilcox on draft day, some of the writers said he was "up on the table" in regards to him.

I still believe he's going to be a pretty solid starter. He isn't a ball hawking FS, but I do think he can be a pretty good SS. The bigger problem is Church, who is a massive liability in space and the past couple games has been missing tackles left and right. Tackling was really the one thing he could do at a decent level, if he isn't going to do that he's useless out there.

Carr is the other guy who has to go. He hasn't covered anyone this yr or last yr and couldn't make a play on the ball to save his life.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Agree with both of you guys.

cmd, I would like to know all that, too. Of course the best example of that inconsistency was when we passed on Floyd and Ciskowski and Garrett were throwing a fit. And then we had to hear that McClay was promoted "to get everyone on the same page." But how the eff can you not be on the same page? Seriously, these guys all make really good money, and there's months before the draft. How can you NOT be any more organized by then? And why would you have to hire someone to get on the same page anyway? Can't the head coach do that? Or Stephen? Or whoever?

I'd love to know some answers as to how all that dysfunction is even possible. A snow cone stand would be better organized than that.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Totally guessing, but if this season truly tanks and we miss the playoffs. The next coach is going to have Jimmy/Parcells type authority again.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Agree with both of you guys.

cmd, I would like to know all that, too. Of course the best example of that inconsistency was when we passed on Floyd and Ciskowski and Garrett were throwing a fit.

Floyd has been pretty pedestrian with the Vikings. No regrets on passing him by, and ending up with Fredericks.

Reaction score
Kiffin loved Wilcox on draft day, some of the writers said he was "up on the table" in regards to him.

I still believe he's going to be a pretty solid starter. He isn't a ball hawking FS, but I do think he can be a pretty good SS. The bigger problem is Church, who is a massive liability in space and the past couple games has been missing tackles left and right. Tackling was really the one thing he could do at a decent level, if he isn't going to do that he's useless out there.

Carr is the other guy who has to go. He hasn't covered anyone this yr or last yr and couldn't make a play on the ball to save his life.

Nice guys finish last. RKGs are worse because they appear to be just plain slow.

Maybe disruptive and character issue players are more likely to play passionately than those happy campers who have good motors and play after the whistle. Church is a great slow player. Carr is slow. Wilcox is slow-witted and seems to run around lost in coverage but thankfully gets gritty once he recognizes someone has the ball.

Top Bottom