Reaction score
Postcard from London: ‘We’re just not kicking off unless I’m out there,’ says Jerry Jones to those questioning his involvement
By Brandon George / Reporter
3:46 pm on November 6, 2014

LONDON – As British slang goes, there’s a term across the pond that really has a double meaning for Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones.

Lost the Plot.

Over here, the translation is “Gone Crazy.”

Identifying words through the mouths of those with a British accent has proved challenging this week for this East Texas boy. And I’ve left more than a few Englanders scratching their heads when I roll out my Texas drawl.

So I shouldn’t be one to point fingers. But Jones on Thursday had the UK media and – quite frankly – those of us who are used to his long-winded, off-topic, twisting and turning stories struggling to keep up with the 72-year-old.

Jones certainly “Lost the Plot” on several topics.

But nevertheless, he was certainly entertaining for almost 30 minutes.

He opened by talking about bringing the “aura and the legend of the Cowboys to London and everything that goes with it.”

Jones said he worked the first part of his life to get enough funds together so he could be a part of sports. On a related note, so did I. Somehow sacking groceries didn’t work out so well for me.

Jones was asked if he’s sees the Cowboys coming back to London again for a regular-season game. The short answer was yes and he thinks it’s “cache.” But then he went into how he liked to look good and always have his shirt tucked in when he played college football at Arkansas and people watched practice.

Jones was asked about his thoughts on Jacksonville Jaguars owner Shad Khan, a Pakistani-American billionaire who also happens to own the Fulham F.C. soccer team based in London.

Jones called him a “progressive thinker” before addressing his critics as the Cowboys’ owner and general manager.

“There are a lot of my critics that will tell you too much is too much engaged and being involved, but I’ve always felt the more you’re involved the better it is,” Jones said. “It’s amused me. It’s really been amusing to me to get the criticism for being as involved as I am. You go in any other discipline, any other occupations, business and if that owner’s down there picking the trash up off the floor, if he’s down there sorting the produce or if he’s sitting there rearranging the stock or if he’s down there greeting the customers or he’s on the manufacturing floor looking and making sure everybody’s doing it, he’s on top of things; he’s interested in it; he’s got pride in what he’s doing.

“You do that in sports and all of sudden you’re not where you’re supposed to be. You’re meddling or you’re interfering. Of course, I smile about that.

“We’re just not kicking off unless I’m out there. That’s all there is to it.”

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
So will nfl network be showing this debacle?

i woke up last Sunday morning and noticed the London game was already over.

Options for watching this game?

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
“There are a lot of my critics that will tell you too much is too much engaged and being involved, but I’ve always felt the more you’re involved the better it is,” Jones said. “It’s amused me. It’s really been amusing to me to get the criticism for being as involved as I am. You go in any other discipline, any other occupations, business and if that owner’s down there picking the trash up off the floor, if he’s down there sorting the produce or if he’s sitting there rearranging the stock or if he’s down there greeting the customers or he’s on the manufacturing floor looking and making sure everybody’s doing it, he’s on top of things; he’s interested in it; he’s got pride in what he’s doing.

If any owner of any business was down there constantly telling the employees how to do every thing, they would be hated as much as you are.

Also, very few owners of businesses get to stay owners despite not succeeding in 20 plus years.

Top Bottom