Reaction score
Adrian Peterson reaches plea agreement in felony child-abuse case

Charles Robinson
By Charles Robinson 22 minutes ago Yahoo Sports

Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson has reached a plea agreement that will allow him to plead no contest to misdemeanor reckless assault, Yahoo Sports has confirmed.

The agreement was first reported by Pro Football Talk.

Peterson is expected to appear in a Montgomery County (Texas) courthouse Tuesday and agree to the plea, which will allow the Vikings star to avoid a felony child-abuse conviction. Peterson will instead be sentenced to probation and community device (I think this is supposed to say community service), as well as a monetary fine. The Pro Football Talk report said Peterson would be subject to 80 hours of community service and a $2,000 fine.

The Vikings’ star is charged with injuring his 4-year-old son after using a wooden switch to discipline him.

Judge Kelly Case could refuse to accept the agreement, and Peterson could still back out of the deal by Tuesday's 1:30 CST hearing, at which point Peterson's legal team would seek a Nov. 18 trial date. However, that appears unlikely.

Once the deal is completed, Peterson becomes subject to potential NFL discipline. He has already sat out eight games this season, as the legal process has moved forward.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
This is probably as good of a outcome as possible. For the greater charge the prosecutor has a higher standard, to prove intent to harm (correct me if I am wrong there) so doing a deal at least gets a conviction and saves cost of a felony trial.

Reaction score
I don't think he's going to get a conviction...

He'll plea no contest, the court will likely defer any finding of guilt and put him on probation. If he meets with probation terms, it will be dismissed.

I'll be interested to see what Goodell does if this is how it plays out. He hasn't admitted to guilt, no judge has found him guilty... it's about as good of an outcome as Peterson could hope for.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I don't think he's going to get a conviction...

He'll plea no contest, the court will likely defer any finding of guilt and put him on probation. If he meets with probation terms, it will be dismissed.

I'll be interested to see what Goodell does if this is how it plays out. He hasn't admitted to guilt, no judge has found him guilty... it's about as good of an outcome as Peterson could hope for.
Deferred adjudication.

Do you agree though, the prosecutor has too high of a standard to meet, for the felony count? Hence the deal?

Reaction score
The burden is the same regardless of whether it's a felony or misdemeanor... beyond a reasonable doubt. Obviously the higher the charge, the more publicity... I think the DA is doing the deal to avoid the paparazzi style media blitz.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Gawd I hate our PC culture. Rappaport reporting that the Vikings sources wouldn't absolutely rule out his playing for them again... OMG!!!

Peter King thinks Peterson will play for us next year. If he's going to play, what's wrong with him playing for the Vikes?

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
It was pretty much a foregone conclusion that he was going to be a cap casualty this off-season. His 2015 salary is $15M and cutting him creates like $13M in cap room for the Vikings. The child-beating now made it a much easier decision for the team and won't receive any backlash from fans.

He's a Cowboy in 2015. Just face that fact now. Short of him beating more kids or doing something else stupid as f... he will be here.

The only way he isn't is if DeMarco Murray gives us a hometown discount and re-signs.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Just listened to Fisher's report on the Fan. He called it "highly unlikely" that Demarco comes back next year. No explanation so that makes me curious as to why. Maybe Demarco wants every last penny and we wouldn't be that team? No idea.

But he said the Peterson to Cowboys rumor has always been out there and most of the time it's been stupid wishful thinking. But now it's very possible and it sounded like he almost expected it.

Also, on Dez -- His agent with CAA will be Tom Condon, who *does* try to get every last nickel for his clients. Also said he represents Julio Jones and some other top WR I can't remember and Fish thinks that could lead to sticky negotiations.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The burden is the same regardless of whether it's a felony or misdemeanor... beyond a reasonable doubt. Obviously the higher the charge, the more publicity... I think the DA is doing the deal to avoid the paparazzi style media blitz.
I was thinking more about the burden of proving intent the top charge comes with. Doesn't exist in a plea deal.

Not a lawyer.

Reaction score
I was thinking more about the burden of proving intent the top charge comes with. Doesn't exist in a plea deal.

Not a lawyer.
Right... any plea deal the DA doesn't have to prove intent. But in any criminal trial, you have to prove the necessary mens rea (state of mind) whether it's a felony or misdemeanor.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
If I was some unheralded rookie like Tyler Patmon I would change my jersey number to 28 right now. Adrian is going to pay a ton to get it next year.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Right... any plea deal the DA doesn't have to prove intent. But in any criminal trial, you have to prove the necessary mens rea (state of mind) whether it's a felony or misdemeanor.
But the highest charge is for intentional harm, not accidental or merely negligent harm. Proving intent is the toughie, I would think. Giving the prosecutor the incentive to make a deal.

Either way it is a good deal for Peterson, he merely needs to hold true to all the conditions and the whole thing gets expunged.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
The court ruled you were incapable of the crime since you are hung like a Ken doll.

I'd like to think even a 2-strike loser like you can do better than my mom. She's pretty old and not really a good person but you have fun.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I just spent the weekend with that crazy person at my kid brother's wedding in St. Louis. I wouldn't wish that psychopath on anyone.

Top Bottom