bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
nfl-deluxe-replica-helmet-by-riddell-houston-texans-d-20091211192920963~2354304w.jpg nfl-deluxe-replica-helmet-by-riddell-cowboys-d-20060712174235697~2354241w.jpg

I'd hate to think we could lose to a bearded fuckface like Fitzpatrick, but we almost lost to undrafted Austin Davis.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I would think if we were ever going to turn the corner it would be now. Confidence should be high right now. Garrett has either learned or has been sufficiently neutered enough to run a balanced attack, grind it out, and keep that defense off the field as much as possible.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
If we lose, it'll probably be because Foster went off on us.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
J.J. Watt is what would have been the result if Randy White and Bob Lilly's DNA were used to clone a monster.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Cowboys' Carr focused on game after mom's death

IRVING, Texas (AP) — Brandon Carr stared away from a small group of reporters, looking a little emotional and unsure how or whether to answer a question he probably knew was coming.

Breast cancer awareness month is a big deal in the NFL, putting pink on footballs, coaches, referees and all kinds of equipment worn by players throughout October.

This year it arrived almost two months to the day after Kathy Carr's death following a long battle with the disease, during the early days of training camp when the Dallas Cowboys were without their high-priced cornerback while he spent his 59-year-old mother's final days with her.

So yes, the league's tribute means a little more to Carr now. And he's a different person these days, shutting out almost all things that aren't football or family. His mom is part of the reason, but so is his team's surprising 3-1 start with the defense exceeding expectations.

"You just have to continue to try to live a great legacy and continue to motivate and do great things," Carr said. "That's what I took from everything my mom went through was she still was trying to get after it and motivate her grandchildren, kids at school or just whoever she came across. I'm going to try to finish out her task."

And that means helping the Cowboys, who face the equally surprising 3-1 Houston Texans on Sunday, break an 8-8 rut that has kept them out of the playoffs the past three seasons.

The postseason drought is actually four years, or two years before Carr arrived on a $50 million free agent contract to address one of the team's biggest needs.

Now he's consistently grading as the best defensive back Dallas has, and clearly seen as an emotional leader as well.

"He's got an old soul ... you know, very mature for his age," said defensive end Jeremy Mincey, a free agent who joined the Cowboys this year. "He's a poised leader. He's like Tony Dungy. He's got the quiet strength. But he's speaking when it needs to be spoken, and that's what makes him special."

Carr has had to put his quiet strength to the test several times in his three seasons with the Cowboys.

During Carr's first year in Dallas in 2012, former Kansas City teammate Jovan Belcher fatally shot his girlfriend before driving to the team facility and killing himself. Belcher's girlfriend was a close friend of Carr's fiancee, who is now his wife.

Just a week later, Cowboys practice squad player Jerry Brown died in a car wreck that resulted in an intoxication manslaughter conviction for defensive tackle Josh Brent. Carr attended two memorial services in less than a week.

This time around, he was back at practice just a few days after saying his final goodbye to his mom. He wears two bracelets that belonged to her "so we're skin on skin still."

"I think about her a lot," Carr said. "I still sometimes I feel empty, and I don't know why. What I've learned in this situation is that you're never alone. My mom always told me, 'You're never the first and you're never the last.' That's true in this case. I just lean on people."

The Cowboys are 3-1 for the first time since 2008, and the defense kept New Orleans out of the end zone for three quarters just a year after giving up an NFL-record 40 first downs.

Carr isn't really interested in film-type talk about a turnaround engineered despite the loss of linebacker Sean Lee to a knee injury, defensive end DeMarcus Ware in a salary cap move and defensive tackle Jason Hatcher in free agency.

He sees it as just another year in the system, more players knowing what opposing offenses and their teammates are doing, and therefore being in better position to knock down passes or deliver hits that make receivers think twice before the next catch.

And maybe the broken record of 8-8 seasons is part of it.

"You just get tired of the same results, get tired of the same story lines and everything," Carr said. "All the disappointments."

So Carr doesn't watch TV, doesn't look at the schedule. He swears he didn't know the Cowboys were visiting Super Bowl champion Seattle next week. He doesn't talk to "a lot of people" who used to be a regular part of his weekly chatter.
More at link.

And so we have a hot pink navigation bar all this month, for Carr's mom and all breast cancer fighters out there.

Reaction score
I would think if we were ever going to turn the corner it would be now. Confidence should be high right now. Garrett has either learned or has been sufficiently neutered enough to run a balanced attack, grind it out, and keep that defense off the field as much as possible.

Some of this also falls on Romo (and his audibles).

He's gotta be willing to stick with running plays even if there is an extra man in the box. And he's going to have to fight the temptation to carry more of the load personally, through the passing game (particularly as he feels healthier). He's just going to have to stick with the program.

Reaction score
Some of this also falls on Romo (and his audibles).

He's gotta be willing to stick with running plays even if there is an extra man in the box. And he's going to have to fight the temptation to carry more of the load personally, through the passing game (particularly as he feels healthier). He's just going to have to stick with the program.

I agree. Ive tried to remain a staunch supporter of him, because he is a very good QB. However, his calling audibles at the last moment and then flinging the ball into traffic to force a play is one of the things that kept our team from taking it to the next level. :like

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
I agree. Ive tried to remain a staunch supporter of him, because he is a very good QB. However, his calling audibles at the last moment and then flinging the ball into traffic to force a play is one of the things that kept our team from taking it to the next level. :like

Lol no. That same gunslinger mentality of his that you're referring to has won us more games than it has lost us. Without Romo we wouldn't have had near the success we have had.

And David save your shit about omg that time Kitna came in the offense didn't miss a beat.

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I was tempted to make a "what Texans fans are saying" thread. The hate they have makes Redskins fans look sane. It's actually pretty sad.

Reaction score
The Atlanta Falcons have ruled out offensive guard Justin Blalock for Sunday's game against the New York Giants because of a back injury, meaning there will be three new starters on the offensive line, the Associated Press reports.

Also, receiver Harry Douglas will miss his second straight game with a foot injury.

Blalock's injury ends a streak of 102 consecutive starts, the longest on the team. It also leaves the Falcons (2-2) with huge question marks up front as they face the surging Giants (2-2).

----------

Good. Go Giants.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Nobody should ever complain about our injuries when you see that Atlanta situation. That's almost as bad as we had in Campo's last year.

Top Bottom