jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
I know many fans looks at the a Saints game and sees it as a big win, but in reality the Saints was a 1-2 team that was having big problems on defense. To be honest, the Saints haven't looked good all year. I think time will show that the a Saints are a team that is in decline and are far from the team that they were only a couple of years ago. The Cowboys played the best game that they have played in years and deserves credit for it, but the Saints played a very bad game and Ryan did a poor job coaching the defense. If anything, this game fit the typical Cowboys trend of beating teams with losing records. A win against the Seahawks or Cards would break this trend and show if the Cowboys are for real. Am I missing something?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
They just kicked their collective asses in all three phases of the game. It gives them something to build on and be proud of - they almost flipped the score exactly, from what it was just a year ago.

Nawlins isn't what it was back in 2010. So what. As Tom Landry said, "The other team pays its players too."

But I get where you're coming from.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
9c4p9oycE.png

Never!

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Credit us for playing so well, but jnday is right, this Saints team isn't that good. They lost to Cleveland and Brian Hoyer, for God's sake.

Reaction score
I don't think anyone here really needs to be told to tap the brakes... We know how this team works. They'll flash greatness every now and then, but overall will underachieve. That has been what is so maddening about this team over the past 5 years.

The question is will this team be different and put things together to have consistent performances like yesterday. Yesterday was the first time this season they were truly impressive. The Saints are down, but they're still talented. The opener was a debacle for the most part, the Titans and Rams had nothing, and they fell behind 21 to the Rams. It's been a mixed bag like always. I'll definitely take 3-1, but I'm not ready to proclaim this is a playoff team... not even close to ready to do that. They're going to have to show a sustained run of play like this.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Nope.
The Cowboys played a great game and I'm pleased about that.
Has to be a confidence builder.
Still a lot of wood to be cut though.
Yep the Cowboys of the last few years would have pissed this one away - and almost did. The late 3 and outs were highly reminiscent of failures in that regard. They went too conservative on the play calling just when you DON'T need to. When you have a big lead, keep attacking.

Without a significant pass rush you're not going to win playoff games. With a porous secondary, you're not going to win playoff games. So yep there's still alot of improvement needed for sure. I don't see anyone, anywhere crowning Dallas a champion yet.

Reaction score
There is reason for guarded optimism, even if the Saints aren't what they used to be.

My bar isn't very high. If the team managed to sneak into the playoffs and win a Wild Card playoff game, I'd consider it a successful season.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
There is reason for guarded optimism, even if the Saints aren't what they used to be.

My bar isn't very high. If the team managed to sneak into the playoffs and win a Wild Card playoff game, I'd consider it a successful season.
And judging by how FEW people took the Boys in this one, in the "Who you got" thread, I'd say the folks here have their heads on pretty straight about this team. Very few expected a win and only one predicted the four turnover, 21 point win.

Reaction score
I think its the way the are winning these games that is different. Being able to run the ball consistently can go a long way. I think the next two games will be nice measuring sticks for this O-line.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I know many fans looks at the a Saints game and sees it as a big win, but in reality the Saints was a 1-2 team that was having big problems on defense. To be honest, the Saints haven't looked good all year. I think time will show that the a Saints are a team that is in decline and are far from the team that they were only a couple of years ago. The Cowboys played the best game that they have played in years and deserves credit for it, but the Saints played a very bad game and Ryan did a poor job coaching the defense. If anything, this game fit the typical Cowboys trend of beating teams with losing records. A win against the Seahawks or Cards would break this trend and show if the Cowboys are for real. Am I missing something?

I get it, and we've been fooled by this team over the years after some similar wins.

That's why I said that as much as I want to believe something is different, I still want to see more proof.

Now if they go out Sunday and take care of business vs Houston (they don't have to blow them out, but win the game and control most of it) then I might start thinking this year's team might be different. This is exactly the type of game we'd go and blow in past years after a win like we had yesterday.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Even the biggest Garrett doubter (me) has to think that there's no way he sees the success of last night's balanced offensive attack and then decides 'no, no, I want to fling the ball 45 times every game'.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
Most of the guys here are well aware of the potential for this team to stink it up on any given day. From browsing the other forums , you would think that Garrett is a top coach and he has led the team to the promised land. I hate to see Jerry having a reason to resign Garrett to a long term contract. I also hate to see the team have another season that is just good enough to keep them from drafting high. I think the team is very short on talent when it comes to the defensive side of the ball. I hope they are as good as they played last night, but I have serious doubts. A couple more wins and Opie will be the coach for another five years and that stinks IMO.

Reaction score
The Saints are a bad team. Just like all the teams we've played this year (yes, even the Niners). I think all four of our opponents end the season with losing records.

That said... we dominated them. You can't ask for more. Remember this is a team that for years has played down to the level of competition.

I still think we're a .500 team. We lack depth and quality coaching. As the season progresses, that will come to be exploited.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
A couple more wins and Opie will be the coach for another five years and that stinks IMO.

Garrett isn't getting a contract extension without a playoff berth. The only way he gets one w/o a playoff berth is if they finish something like 10-6 and miss the playoffs due to tie breakers or something, and even then I doubt that would do it.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
You also said he'd be fired last year!

One of the more disgusting things about last night is that you can just see Jerry being all giddy about how his plan of hiring the old family friend who will take orders is working just as he planned. And how his meddling with the coaching staff every year was a great idea.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
One of the more disgusting things about last night is that you can just see Jerry being all giddy about how his plan of hiring the old family friend who will take orders is working just as he planned. And how his meddling with the coaching staff every year was a great idea.
Winning is the great deodorizer. Hell, we put up with Switzer - Barry fucking Switzer - in Tom's office and on the sideline. Why? Because he proved Jerruh right when he said any 100 other people could coach that team and managed to stay out of the way enough for Jimmy's team to win their last Super Bowl.

If this team wins the SB, whether we like it or not or believe it or not, Jerruh is vindicated again for another 20+ years.

FuzzyLumpkins

In the Rotation
Reaction score
And judging by how FEW people took the Boys in this one, in the "Who you got" thread, I'd say the folks here have their heads on pretty straight about this team. Very few expected a win and only one predicted the four turnover, 21 point win.

So most of you were wrong but you have your head on straight?

What kind of logic is that?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
So most of you were wrong but you have your head on straight?

What kind of logic is that?
In context, it means nobody's got rose colored glasses on about this team and aren't likely to materialize a pair of them, anytime soon. Head on straight.

If most all of us were predicting a Dallas win vs. Nawlins even if correct, could be accused of needing to tap the brakes.

There's certainly few if any, people here who need to tap the brakes. I haven't seen anybody yet trying to make more out of this win than there is.

Top Bottom