Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

ST. LOUIS -- Anthony Spencer worked out before Sunday’s game against the St. Louis Rams, knowing he was not going to play.

That could change this week against the New Orleans Saints.

Owner and general manager Jerry Jones said Spencer “hopefully” will get some playing time after missing the last 17 games after undergoing microfracture surgery on his left knee last fall. Spencer last played in 2013, for only 34 snaps in a Week 2 loss at the Kansas City Chiefs.

He saw his first work in practice last week, taking part in a limited fashion during Wednesday and Thursday sessions. He did not practice Friday, which was part of the plan.

“I went pretty good in practice so just going to go a little bit harder, push it a little more,” Spencer said. “I kind of eased into it this past week but now we’ll see how it feels.”

The Cowboys signed Spencer to a one-year deal with a $1.25 million base salary. He can earn $46,875 bonus for every game is on the Cowboys’ 46-man roster.

The Cowboys plan to play Spencer at right defensive end after he played the strong-side the first seven years either as a 3-4 outside linebacker or 4-3 defensive end. Considering his prolonged absence, the Cowboys don’t want to overwork Spencer too quickly.

“I’m anxious because it’s close,” Spencer said, “but at the same time I’m trying to be as patient as possible.”

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I highly doubt Spencer is here next year anyways. We parted ways with Ware and there's no way Spencer is getting paid with Dez's contract coming up.

jeebus

UDFA
Reaction score
What they said was, the Cowboys have a 46 man roster. That might have been the roster size in like, 1990 or something.

There are 46 active players on the gameday roster. Spencer must be one of them to get the bonus, not of the inactive a on the complete 53 man roster.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
There are 46 active players on the gameday roster. Spencer must be one of them to get the bonus, not of the inactive a on the complete 53 man roster.
Thank you for the valid and informative correction. I stand corrected yet again.

Reaction score
I can't imagine Spencer comes back with immediate impact. He's got to have a lot of rust and sluggishness to shake off for a few games.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Ain't gonna lie. I have high hopes for spencer. I think he's better suited to play in this defense. He's got some rust to knock off so it's gonna take some time even after he gets his first action but I think him Crawford and Melton eventually could do a pretty good job up front.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Ain't gonna lie. I have high hopes for spencer. I think he's better suited to play in this defense. He's got some rust to knock off so it's gonna take some time even after he gets his first action but I think him Crawford and Melton eventually could do a pretty good job up front.
You have the bolded part right and the rest is reasonable and could well come true too.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Spencer will be on IR before week 8. He's done.

Yeah, hard to see him not doing what he did last year. Play against KC, knee swells up, Jerry says it is day to day, out for season.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Keeping fingers crossed, but honestly not expecting much.

If he does give us anything positive its a huge bonus, but my thought is they'll give him 3-4 weeks to see if he is able to really contribute and if he is struggling or making no impact, he'll go on IR and be replaced by someone on PS

Bluenoser

In the Rotation
Reaction score

I agree, last year they were reporting how good he looked in TC. I think he could be a solid contributor.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Yeah, hard to see him not doing what he did last year. Play against KC, knee swells up, Jerry says it is day to day, out for season.

Exactly.

The fact that they're bringing him back in week 4, as opposed to say week 6, or even 8, that kinda tells me the knee is as good as it's going to get. They're attitude is probably "fuck it, see how it holds up.".

If he had any shot, I don't think you bring him back until you have to. They're 2-1, not 1-2 or 0-3. The rush to get him in there doesn't make sense to me.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
Considering the type of surgery that he had, I don't think he will ever play at a decent level again. A successful return from this injury would really be beating the odds. Spencer was never a top pass rusher and he is not going to be one with one leg. The sad reality is that even with one leg, he is probably more talented than the jags that the defense has been trotting out on the field every week.

Top Bottom