Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

ST. LOUIS -- Maybe it’s a sign of maturity, as Jason Garrett suggested after the Dallas Cowboys' 34-31 victory against the St. Louis Rams, but the defenders were not pleased with their effort Sunday.

Yes, Bruce Carter had an interception return for a touchdown. Yes, Morris Claiborne sealed the victory with an interception. Sure, Anthony Hitchens had a big fourth-down stop, and Henry Melton had a key fumble recovery.

But.

“I’m glad we won obviously, but we’ve just got to improve,” defensive tackle Nick Hayden said. “I feel, as a person, like we lost. We lost that game. I’m not satisfied with what we did out there. I’m not too happy. I’m glad we snuck by with a W, but we’ve just got to be better.”

Hayden said the Cowboys were “undisciplined,” on defense and the communication was “terrible.” The Cowboys did not sack Austin Davis, and saw the Rams backup completed 30 of 42 passes for 327 yards and three touchdowns. Zac Stacy led St. Louis with 67 yards on 12 carries with the Rams finishing with 121 yards on 30 carries.

The Rams converted on eight of their 12 third-down chances and one fourth-down try.

St. Louis held the ball for 32 minutes, 50 seconds and gained 448 yards.

It didn’t matter that the Cowboys were without Justin Durant and Rolando McClain, their top two tacklers.

“I’ve told you guys all the time and I’ll tell you guys for real: we’ve got to play better,” cornerback Orlando Scandrick said. “We can’t expect to give up 350, 400 yards and be a great defense or be a good defense or even be a good football team. Thirty-four points from your offense, that’s not normal in this league.”

The defensive players know coordinator Rod Marinelli will not be pleased after viewing the film. Marinelli was even-keeled when talking about the defense after the game. He was pleased with the win, but not pleased with the execution.

“I’m looking for that consistency,” Marinelli said. “The consistency to play the run, the consistency of a pass rush. We want these plays we made today, because they win. But to be a really good defense, to help this offense -- this offense can go -- we’ve got to three-and-outs. We just have to play better.”

Up next is the New Orleans Saints with an offense that is by far better than anything the Cowboys have faced this season and chewed them up last year.

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
No mo Mo. The interception doesn't make up for how poorly he played.

Right, anyone could've made that int. Garrett made it out to be something amazing for Claiborne.

P.S. Claiborne, you're still a pile of shit and weren't worth the pick.

Reaction score
There aren't many rookie CBs who are worth a 1st and 2nd round draft pick.

The failure/disappointment rate of high draft choices is too high to merit investing that much in almost any player.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score

The failure/disappointment rate of high draft choices is too high to merit investing that much in almost any player.

Bingo! Whoever convinced jerri that Mo was the next Deon should be fired, that trade stinks of jerris underlying belief that one player can put his team over the top and its killed them for years. Its not basketball where one player can "LeBron" you to championships, in the NFL you need a team and a good QB. QB is the only player I'd devote extra resources to

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Bingo! Whoever convinced jerri that Mo was the next Deon should be fired, that trade stinks of jerris underlying belief that one player can put his team over the top and its killed them for years. Its not basketball where one player can "LeBron" you to championships, in the NFL you need a team and a good QB. QB is the only player I'd devote extra resources to
D-Lineman can impact right away, as can linebackers. O-Lineman take some time to develop no matter what round they're picked from, and same often holds true for secondary help.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Nobody convinced Jerry. Jerry collects CBs the same way Al Davis collected WRs.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score

The Bills are doing alright with Leodis McKelvin and Stephon Gilmore.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

I've been saying this for a long time. Thanks to Deion, CB has become the most overrated position of all, especially on defense. Give me a top-notched safety tandem over a "good' CB duo any day.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
New Orleans has struggled a bit.
The Dallas defense is just what they need to get well.
Good thing Ryan's still the DC,we might stay in it anyway.

Reaction score
Watching the Bears game. Why does Bobby McCray look like he could snap Wilcox in half and Ahmad Dixon look like a tackling ace? Wait...why is Tony Fiametta and a host of Dallas castoffs on the Bears? Is this like Jason's fascination with San Diego? Will Michael Sam go to the Bears next?

Reaction score
But I thought our well-known insider told everyone over the offseason that Mo had a chip on his shoulder and was going to shut everyone up?

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Kirk Cousins may slaughter us when we meet if Sunday was an indication of anything:

He just kept hitting ridiculous deep ball after ridiculous deep ball, ending the day 4-of-6 for 184 yards on targets 20+ yards downfield. Cousins also had 50 yards through the air lost from five dropped passes on the day. -- PFF

Top Bottom