Reaction score
Snyder digs in even deeper on name of team

Posted by Mike Florio on August 4, 2014, 11:22 PM EDT

It’s been more than a year since Washington owner Daniel Snyder went all caps never when addressing the possibility of changing the team’s name, and more than six months since he wrote a letter to the team’s fans elaborating on his refusal to dump a term that has evolved into a dictionary-defined slur. On Monday, he addressed the issue again, via an interview conducted by a radio station he owns, via questions from one of its employees.

The Washington Post has the transcript. To summarize: (1) Snyder reiterates that the term connotes respect and pride, despite its current dictionary definition; (2) Snyder explains that he has visited with tribal membership and leaders in several states; (3) Snyder suggests that those expressing concern about the name are merely looking for Internet traffic; (4) Snyder laments that not enough is being done to address more important issues affecting Native Americans; and (5) Snyder insists that the effort to assist Native Americans has nothing to do with P.R.

The Change the Mascot campaign, led by the National Congress of American Indians and the Oneida Indian Nation, has responded to Snyder’s assertion that the media believes “it’s sort of fun to talk about the name of our football team, because it gets some attention for some of the people that write it, that need clicks, or what have you.”

“Washington team owner Dan Snyder’s comments are proof that he is living in a bigoted billionaire bubble,” the Change the Mascot campaign said in a statement released Monday night. “For him to claim that a racial slur is ‘fun’ is grotesque. For him to say that opposition to that slur is only from ‘people who need [Internet] clicks’ adds insult to injury, considering the fact that groups representing hundreds of thousands of people of color are calling on him to change his team’s name. There is nothing ‘fun’ about his desire to continue promoting, marketing and profiting from a term screamed at Native Americans as they were dragged at gunpoint off their lands. Mr. Snyder would know there’s nothing ‘fun’ about this had he not refused to meet with the scores of Native American groups who are urging him to change the mascot and stop mocking their culture.

“We are certainly glad to see that after decades of silence, Mr. Snyder suddenly has an interest in the plight of Native Americans. Some of the money he recently spent was for burgundy and gold parks adorned with the very mascot and epithet that Native Americans are imploring him to change. He doesn’t understand a simple fact: No matter how much of his fortune he spends trying to convince the world that slurring people of color is acceptable, it is not. The more he clings to this racist epithet, the more he walks in the footsteps of his predecessor the segregationist George Preston Marshall, who originally gave the team this hideous name. If Mr. Snyder truly wants to help Indian Country then he could provide financial support, while at the same time ending his callous use of this racist epithet that hurts Native Americans.”

Peter King has predicted that the name will change by 2016. It sure doesn’t sound as if Snyder is operating on that same timetable. Regardless, the opposition has become as entrenched as Snyder’s insistence on keeping the name, which means that the debate will remain for as long as the name does.

Reaction score
Good news for the Cowboys!

Let Foreskins owner Danny Dickhead focus on fighting over the teams name and not as much about winning games.

:B&B

Reaction score

Let Foreskins owner Danny Dickhead focus on fighting over the teams name and not as much about winning games.

This has no affect on the team. Snyder employs a GM.

Meanwhile our owner/gm is distracted with scheduling concerts, boxing matches, basketball games etc etc etc.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
How about, "Washington Thinskins?"

Personally I'm partial to "Washington Rednecks" though.

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Props to Snyder.

I agree. This is just more evidence of our PC/bootie hurt society where everyone is looking to be offended by something. I haven't paid attention, but have people really been pushing for a name change this long? It seems like a fairly recent thing to me. Also, aren't the majority of people "offended" by the name white? Like I said before, this society is becoming one big vagina.

Last edited:

BangersandMash

Practice Squad
Reaction score

:B&B

Snyder not focusing on football is the best thing that could happen to the Redskins.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
you guys are on the wrong side of history. whatever that means.

Reaction score
Snyder not focusing on football is the best thing that could happen to the Redskins
I was waiting to see who would point that out. I do agree. I enjoy reading about when he's overpaying has beens and underachieving veterans.

VTA

UDFA
Reaction score
I guess this means we're going to have to hear about this crap during games, with Costa grandstanding and others giving their .2¢. Getting closer and closer to making this game unbearable.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I have officially solved Daniel Snyder's problem. Go back to the old 70s round R logo on the helmets, eliminate the feathers and leave the R, and rename the team......

The Washington Radicals.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I guess this means we're going to have to hear about this crap during games, with Costa grandstanding and others giving their .2¢. Getting closer and closer to making this game unbearable.

You could just do what I do at halftime. Take a shit or punch the clown. Hell, sometimes both.

By the time you're done the 2nd half kickoff is just around the corner.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
Danny has gained my respect by fighting this. I am a fan now even though he is sleeze.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep. Hate him and his fucking team, but I hope he fights to the death over this name change bullshit.

Top Bottom