Reaction score
IRVING – As the offense struggles the debate rages. Is Cowboys coordinator Jason Garrett stubborn or simply clueless?

Well, that's the sanitized account. For the raw, unfiltered version, check out a blog or catch a few minutes of talk radio.

Garrett defended his approach Wednesday without sounding defensive. He calmly explained his philosophy and was clear that he won't deviate. It comes down to better execution for a proven formula. The Cowboys will stay the course.

And what about the suggestion that Garrett involves too many players during these trying 0-2 times, that he's too democratic for his own good?

He doesn't buy it.

"We're always trying to get the running game going, we're always trying to have efficiency and success in the passing game," Garrett said. "We're not doing this to be democratic. We're doing this because we feel this is the right way to run an offense with the people we have.

"I think we've had success with this approach in the past. We certainly lean on a number of our marquee players and then there are roles for other guys as well. It's a good way to run an offense, to attack defenses different ways. You have to be successful executing in the different ways you're doing it, and we'll continue to work at that and get better at that."

The broadstroke ideas behind this offense are balance and distribution.

But two games in eight days don't speak to the big picture. It speaks to an offense that averages 13.5 points to rank near the bottom of the NFL.

When an offense struggles with points and penalties, doesn't it make sense to limit distribution until it clicks? Isn't it easier to establish one or two players, one or two plays, than six or seven? Why not find a hot hand, ride it for a game or two, then expand?

"What we're always trying to do is emphasize the strengths of our players," Garrett said.

"This is the group of guys we have. We like them all, and we certainly have guys who play more and get the ball more than other guys. And that's going to change from week to week. This guy has to block more this week, this guy has to catch more this week. That's how it works."

A key to this offense is rhythm. Penalties disrupt that rhythm. The Cowboys have five false starts and their offense ranks second in the league with 11 penalties. The continuity the coaches and players touted during the off-season hasn't helped.

A team that ranked seventh in rushing last season is now tied for 28th with 139 yards through two games. Seven of the team's 42 carries have lost yardage.

"We've got to run the ball better," Garrett said, repeating those words again for emphasis. "It's plain and simple. We've got to block better, we've got to run better. We've got to reestablish that on a consistent basis.

"We're working hard to do that."

Critics charge the Cowboys don't have an offensive identity. They do. It's balance and diversity.

The problem is their philosophy has been compromised by an inability to run the ball. It has thrown the offense out of whack and impacted the play calling.

Garrett refuses to acknowledge any frustration. He reflects and questions individual calls made during a game but not his approach. He's convinced the best chance for success is to trust preparation, make decisions and go.

"We've got to eliminate the negative plays, eliminate the penalties and go forward," Garrett said. "There are a lot of good things that are happening. We've got to build on the good things and eliminate the bad things.

"You've just got to keep banging away. I mean it's hard in the NFL to move the ball, it's hard in the NFL to score points.

"We've got to do things better each and every play, each and every day."

Is Garrett clueless? Is he stubborn, or does he rightfully cling to his faith in a system that has worked before and will work again?

Please feel free to blog among yourselves.

Reaction score
The problem isn't that we're trying to get too many people involved.

The Colts and Saints have had the two of the better (if not best) offenses in the league the past few years, and they spread the ball around even moreso than we do.

We just need to execute, run block, and avoid stupid penalties.

Cythim

Reaction score
Unfortunately I agree with Garrett. We can obviously move the ball, we just have a problem with stalling as we approach the endzone.

MichaelWinicki

In the Rotation
Reaction score

The Colts and Saints have had the two of the better (if not best) offenses in the league the past few years, and they spread the ball around even moreso than we do.

I'd agree with that.

I don't get to see the practices... But there has certainly been several folks that have put forth the idea that practice isn't intense, which is conducive to making errors during real games.

sbk92

Reaction score
I'd agree with that.

I don't get to see the practices... But there has certainly been several folks that have put forth the idea that practice isn't intense, which is conducive to making errors during real games.

You don't have to see the practices to know they're not intense. You just have to look at our head coach. Of course they're not. If they were, he wouldn't be a "player's coach" who "treats us like men".

MichaelWinicki

In the Rotation
Reaction score
You don't have to see the practices to know they're not intense. You just have to look at our head coach. Of course they're not. If they were, he wouldn't be a "player's coach" who "treats us like men".

I'll defend Jerreh to an extent... Wade? No so much.

C

Cr122

Unfortunately I agree with Garrett. We can obviously move the ball, we just have a problem with stalling as we approach the endzone.

I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that our O-line can't block in the redzone.

The field shrinks and we run out of options, and we don't have the guys to slow down the defenders.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Agree 110%

Top Bottom