dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Kony Ealy says Cowboys, Rams showing high interest

By Chase Goodbread
College Football 24/7 writer
Published: May 6, 2014 at 04:28 p.m.
Updated: May 6, 2014 at 05:15 p.m.

NEW YORK -- Former Missouri defensive end Kony Ealy mentioned the Dallas Cowboys and St. Louis Rams when asked Tuesday about his feel for the teams that have shown the most interest in him this draft season.

"Dallas was really good. I like them. They feel like they can use me across their D-line, inside and out," Ealy, who is in New York City to attend the draft this week, told College Football 24/7. "St. Louis, same thing. Some teams don't want me to say their names, but I got a good feel for every team I met with and the different schemes, terminology, and stuff like that."

Dallas holds the No. 16 overall pick in the draft and has a definite need on the defensive line, although draft analysts aren't projecting Ealy to be chosen that early.

St. Louis would be something of a dream team for the former Missouri star. With a defensive end tandem of Chris Long and Robert Quinn combining for 27.5 sacks last season, the Rams wouldn't figure to need Ealy as much as a defensive end, but his ability to play inside could intrigue St. Louis.

The club picks at Nos. 2 and 13 overall in the first round, but could find Ealy to be much more of a bargain with it's second-round pick (No. 44 overall), if he is available at the time. Dallas' second-round pick is just three picks later at No. 47. Dallas' 4-3 defensive alignment could allow Ealy to be an every-down player at the next level, playing end on early downs and perhaps sliding inside to play tackle on third down, when his skills as a pass rusher could help shrink the pocket from the middle.

One of the factors that could determine whether Ealy's name goes off the board in the first round or second is the eventual draft fate of former Auburn pass rusher Dee Ford. The choice of one could result in something of a fall for the other. NFL Media analyst Bucky Brooks prefers Ford over Ealy as a prospect, but doesn't project a long wait for either. Brooks has Ford projected to land with the Arizona Cardinals at pick No. 20 in his latest mock draft, and he has Ealy going No. 27 overall to the New Orleans Saints.

If they have their sights set on landing Ealy in the second round, it could be wishful thinking on the part of the Rams and Cowboys.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
embrace Ealy Booze, embrace him.

Not sure why Boozestile doesn't like Ealy.

I don't think he's an elite dominant player or anything, but he would definitely help us and his flexibility to move around on the DL is another plus. I wouldn't want him at 16 but if we got him after moving down quite a bit I wont be unhappy.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Not sure why Boozestile doesn't like Ealy.

I don't think he's an elite dominant player or anything, but he would definitely help us and his flexibility to move around on the DL is another plus. I wouldn't want him at 16 but if we got him after moving down quite a bit I wont be unhappy.

He's not an impact player. He's a spare. If you are already talking about how a player "could do this" or "could do that", he's not a first round talent. He's slow off the ball. Disappears for long stretches then made a splashy play that made people notice. He was the third best rusher on his own team last year. Plus his attitude stinks. He's running around the last few weeks calling himself the best rusher in this class. This sums him up for me:

"He thinks he's already an Aldon Smith-type player. Classic con man. I don't trust this kid. He will be just a big pain in the (expletive)," said one scout. "He's one of those 'let somebody else draft him' guys." Added another: "There's no outstanding traits about him other than he gives you some versatility in a bad (defensive-line) draft. He's a mess. Somebody's going to draft him because they need a defensive end and overdraft him." Ealy is supremely athletic and projectable, but he lacks hand and leg drive on contact. An overdraft does appear likely.

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
He's not an impact player. He's a spare. If you are already talking about how a player "could do this" or "could do that", he's not a first round talent. He's slow off the ball. Disappears for long stretches then made a splashy play that made people notice. He was the third best rusher on his own team last year. Plus his attitude stinks. He's running around the last few weeks calling himself the best rusher in this class. This sums him up for me:

"He thinks he's already an Aldon Smith-type player. Classic con man. I don't trust thyis kid. He will be just a big pain in the (expletive)," said one scout. "He's one of those 'let somebody else draft him' guys." Added another: "There's no outstanding traits about him other than he gives you some versatility in a bad (defensive-line) draft. He's a mess. Somebody's going to draft him because they need a defensive end and overdraft him." Ealy is supremely athletic and projectable, but he lacks hand and leg drive on contact. An overdraft does appear likely.

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

This sounds like a sure Cowboy draft pick. Be prepared to go apeshit.

Top Bottom