Reaction score
Texans' Kubiak believes Dallas better than its record

HOUSTON — After defeating Indianapolis and Washington, the Texans are one of the NFL's most intriguing early-season success stories.
Now they host the winless Dallas Cowboys, who rank as one of the league's biggest disappointments.

“But they're two plays from being 2-0,” coach Gary Kubiak pointed out Monday.

While the Texans were beating the Colts 34-24 and the Redskins 30-27 in overtime, the Cowboys were losing to Washington 13-7 and Chicago 27-20.

Kubiak found out Monday he'll have his best player, receiver Andre Johnson. The MRI on Johnson's right ankle showed a mild sprain.

“We feel better about it today than we did coming out of the game,” Kubiak said about Johnson, who had 12 catches for 158 yards and a touchdown. “He'll be day-to-day as we head into the weekend.”

Expect Johnson to play against the Cowboys.

Tight end James Casey won't play. He wasn't as fortunate after an MRI on his ankle. Kubiak said Casey will miss some games.

“James is a little more severe,” Kubiak said. “They're both going to be fine. It's just James has a longer road back than Andre.”

Garrett Graham, a fourth-round pick, will be the third tight end against the Cowboys. He'll be active for the first time.

“They're the same team that was loaded with talent at the start of the season,” Kubiak said about the Cowboys. “I know they're going to play great when they come in here.

“We'll have to play a lot better than we played (at Washington), but I don't have to tell our players that. I think we knew that when we left the field.”

Kubiak and his players know they can't fall behind the Cowboys by 17 points with time running out in the third quarter and expect to escape with another victory.

The Texans also know they can't allow Tony Romo to become the third consecutive quarterback to throw for more than 400 yards against them.

“We gave up some big plays,” Kubiak said. “They (Redskins) did a great job. They schemed us up pretty good. We really, really struggled. But we did have some good stops in the fourth quarter.”

Defensive end Mario Williams recorded three sacks, giving him four sacks and eight hurries in two games. Williams and Cowboys outside linebacker DeMarcus Ware are two of the league's premier pass rushers.

“Mario just revved his game up and kind of took over and made sure (Donovan McNabb) was having to get rid of the ball,” Kubiak said about the fourth quarter and overtime. “We've got some things we've got to clean up there.

“I know we're young back there, but that's no excuse. We've got to get better and get better quick because people are going to throw it on us until we step up and stop it. We've got to improve from that standpoint.”

The Texans and Cowboys are 1-1 head-to-head, with each winning in their home stadium. The Cowboys are coming off an 11-5 season in which they won a playoff game. The Texans are coming off their first winning season.

“I think we've come to expect to play in great games — that's the NFL — and get in them and be willing to make a play and be the difference maker. I think we've grown up from that standpoint,” Kubiak said.

Top Bottom