dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Mayock position rankings 3/11/14

With the NFL Scouting Combine in the rearview mirror, Mike Mayock unveils the second edition of his position-by-position draft prospect rankings for the 2014 NFL Draft.

Quarterback
1. Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville
2. Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M
3. Blake Bortles, Central Florida
4. Derek Carr, Fresno State
t5. AJ McCarron, Alabama
t5. Jimmy Garoppolo, Eastern Illinois

New entry: Garoppolo

Running back
1. Bishop Sankey, Washington
2. Carlos Hyde, Ohio State
3. Jeremy Hill, LSU
4. Andre Williams, Boston College
5. Tre Mason, Auburn

Rise: Sankey (3)
Fall: Hyde (1), Hill (2)

Wide receiver
1. Sammy Watkins, Clemson
2. Mike Evans, Texas A&M
3. Marqise Lee, USC
4. Brandin Cooks, Oregon State
t5. Kelvin Benjamin, Florida State
t5. Jarvis Landry, LSU
t5. Odell Beckham, LSU

Rise: Evans (3)
Fall: Lee (2), Benjamin (4)
New entry: Cooks, Beckham

Tight end
1. Eric Ebron, North Carolina
2. Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington
3. Jace Amaro, Texas Tech
4. Troy Niklas, Notre Dame
5. C.J. Fiedorowicz, Iowa

Center
1. Marcus Martin, USC
2. Weston Richburg, Colorado State
3. Travis Swanson, Arkansas
4. Bryan Stork, Florida State
5. Gabe Ikard, Oklahoma

Guard
1. David Yankey, Stanford
2. Xavier Su'a-Filo, UCLA
3. Gabe Jackson, Mississippi State
4. Chris Watt, Notre Dame
5. Trai Turner, LSU

New entry: Turner
Out: Cyril Richardson, Baylor (5)

Offensive tackle
1. Greg Robinson, Auburn
2. Jake Matthews, Texas A&M
3. Taylor Lewan, Michigan
4. Zack Martin, Notre Dame
5. Joel Bitonio, Nevada

Rise: Robinson (2)
Fall: Matthews (1)
New entry: Bitonio
Out: Cyrus Kouandjio, Alabama (5)

Defensive tackle
1. Aaron Donald, Pittsburgh
2. Timmy Jernigan, Florida State
3. Louis Nix III, Notre Dame
4. Ra'Shede Hageman, Minnesota
5. Kelcy Quarles, South Carolina

Rise: Donald (3)
Fall: Nix (1)
New entry: Quarles
Out: Dominique Easley, Florida

Defensive end
1. Jadeveon Clowney, South Carolina
2. Kony Ealy, Missouri
3. Dee Ford, Auburn
4. Scott Crichton, Oregon State
5. Stephon Tuitt, Notre Dame

New entry: Tuitt
Out: Trent Murphy, Stanford

Linebacker
1. Khalil Mack, Buffalo
2. C.J. Mosley, Alabama
3. Anthony Barr, UCLA
4. Chris Borland, Wisconsin
5. Ryan Shazier, Ohio State

Cornerback
1. Darqueze Dennard, Michigan State
2. Justin Gilbert, Oklahoma State
3. Kyle Fuller, Virginia Tech
4. Bradley Roby, Ohio State
5. Jason Verrett, TCU

Rise: Roby (5)
Fall: Verrett (4)

Safety
1. Calvin Pryor, Louisville
2. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Alabama
3. Jimmie Ward, Northern Illinois
4. Deone Bucannon, Washington State
5. Lamarcus Joyner, Florida State

Rise: Ward (4)
Fall: Joyner (3)

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I'm thinking this QB class really sucks ass.

It is better than recent years which saw players like Christian Ponder and E.J. Manuel get picked in the first round.

The issue is that there is not one guy who is an Andrew Luck. If there was, people would be stating it is "deep".

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm thinking this QB class really sucks ass.

I don't think it does, though I do think Manziel and Bridgewater are going to be massive busts.

I think Bortles could end up being really good in a couple of years.

I like McCarron but he will probably go in the 2nd round IMO, but I also I like Mettenberger and Pitt's Tom Savage as day three guys who could sit for a year or two and potentially start afterward. We have fairly close ties to both team's staffs as well (Les Miles and Cam Cameron at LSU, Paul Chryst at Pitt)

If we don't take a QB this year, we'd almost assuredly have to go all in next year and draft one pretty early. Could be several worthy of 1st rd consideration next yr (depending on who comes out early)

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I looked back a few years and I guess the last few years (except 2012) have been worse than I remembered, so maybe I was too harsh. But I still think there's a chance none of these guys are very good. I agree that Bortles looks like he has the most potential,but I only say him one game. I was never that impressed with Bridgewater like everyone was a few months ago (Teddy Ballgame/Football/whatever!). What little I saw of Carr, he doesn't look as good as his brother to me.

I put Manziel in his own class, because he's so unconventional and so boom or bust. Still think he could be great in the right situation, but I fully admit he could easily completely bust out.

But overall, why aren't there more great QBs coming out lately? Of course teams throw the ball more than ever and the teaching of the passing game gets better and better at a young age. Surprised there aren't more great ones the last four or five years.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
But overall, why aren't there more great QBs coming out lately? Of course teams throw the ball more than ever and the teaching of the passing game gets better and better at a young age. Surprised there aren't more great ones the last four or five years.

Too many spread offenses and dink and dunk schemes where they don't read the entire field or work on footwork/throwing mechanics. It seems even a ton of high school programs run these ridiculous spread offenses now.

I hate it.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yeah, but the pro game has moved that direction also. It's not like these college guys come from the spread to the 90s Cowboys or Giants power offenses. Manning, Brady, Brees, and Rodgers all play in offenses that aren't a million miles away from those spreads.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah, but the pro game has moved that direction also. It's not like these college guys come from the spread to the 90s Cowboys or Giants power offenses. Manning, Brady, Brees, and Rodgers all play in offenses that aren't a million miles away from those spreads.

There's a big difference in playing QB in a college spread offense as opposed to the NFL. The reads are more complex as are the pass patterns. The spread offenses are all pretty basic with their routes and most QB's only have to make one read and throw where they drew up the play. When 80-90% or more of your passes are from behind the LOS to maybe 10 yds downfield, there isn't much to do.

Reaction score
Carr needs to see some pass rush before I trust him but I love his release. He looked great but many guys hear footsteps if they aren't comfortable with a pass rush which he hasn't seen much of. He might fall apart.

Tom savage is the other way. He's been on terrible teams and needs a hug. he's got so much potential he's like a flacco.

Bridge water has everything but how do you throw so many ducks in a passing drill??

I'd draft manziel just for the freak factor

Top Bottom