Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
gyi0062970408.0_standard_709.0.jpg

The San Francisco 49ers hired head coach Jim Harbaugh three years ago, who took over a team that had not been to an NFC Championship game since 1996. Under Harbaugh, the 49ers have at least been to the NFC title game all three seasons, including a Super Bowl appearance in 2013.

However, that might not be enough to keep the two sides together for very long, according to Jason La Canfora of CBS. Harbaugh and general manager Trent Baalke are "barely speaking," according to La Canfora, and there are reportedly many clashes between Harbaugh and others within the organization, including team president Paraag Marathe.

La Canfora also says that should Harbaugh be jettisoned either by trade or an unthinkable release, the 49ers would likely promote defensive line coach Jim Tomsula. The notion of San Francisco and Harbaugh having problems arose with the news of the 49ers and Cleveland Browns having talks about a trade which would have centered around sending Harbaugh to the banks of Lake Erie.

How did things unravel to this point? Here's a timeline of the drama:

Friday, 4:28 p.m.: Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk reported that the Browns had been in trade discussions for Harbaugh, hoping to fill their head coaching vacancy with the former quarterback. The deal was killed by Harbaugh, who did not want to leave for Cleveland.

Supposedly, the trade would have involved the Browns sending multiple picks to San Francisco.

Friday: 5:21 p.m.: Jon Stinchcomb of Dawgs By Nature compiled a bevy of tweets that Joe Lull of 92.3 The Fan in Cleveland fired off as the news was breaking from Florio about Harbaugh and the Browns.

Lull had previously reported that all the candidates for the Browns' head coaching job had not been brought to light. At the time, he wasn't willing to disclose who the man was, per Chris Pokorny of Dawgs By Nature.

Friday night/Saturday morning: Ian Rapoport of NFL.com refutes the claim that San Francisco discussed trading Harbaugh to the Browns.

Friday, 6:12 p.m.: 49ers owner Jed York tells his side of the story.

Saturday, 11:39 a.m.: Browns head coach Mike Pettine talks about his feelings at the NFL Combine on the report that his new team hired him as a consolation prize, per Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

"I got a phone call saying that report was about to come out and I shot the messenger a little bit,'' Pettine said at the NFL Scouting Combine. "I asked, ‘How does that affect my tenure as the head coach? Has that changed?' The obvious answer was 'no' and I think my next sentence, I either used the word flying followed by something, or referenced a part of a rat’s body.''

Saturday, 11:20 p.m.: Vic Tafur of the San Francisco Chronicle caught up with Harbaugh in Indianapolis and got the following quote from the 49ers leader:

"The report? Reee-diculous. Reee-diculous. No. Ridiculous."

In the same story, a rival general manager had a different thought:

"Where there is smoke, there is fire," one general manager said Friday night. "This could be the first visible sign of a crack that could bring the whole thing they've built down to the ground."

Monday, 4:03 a.m.: Browns owner Jimmy Haslam confirms that Cleveland had discussions with the 49ers, per USA Today Sports.

"There was an opportunity there, and it didn't materialize," Haslam said.

In the meantime, David Fucillo of Niners Nation is hoping the story can subside to allow Harbaugh and the 49ers to live in harmony again:

All we can hope for at this point is that the 49ers and Jim Harbaugh get an extension worked out. Until we hear of an extension, we'll be stuck with the PFT's of the world throwing as much out there as they can to prove they were right initially. If the team goes into the 2014 season with an extension still waiting, I can understand why fans would become concerned.

It's one reason winning the Super Bowl any of these last three years would have been even better. It would remove that "can he win the big one?" from contract negotiations. But, the 49ers haven't won, and so we're stuck with this side of contract negotiations. Such is life. I don't think the situation is nearly at the level national media would like us to think it is.

Fucillo also believes there is a man getting away clean from this story who has some dirt on his hands:

One person not mentioned in any reports (except that of socalisteph) is Harbaugh's agent, David Dunn. I've heard from Texas friends that Dunn was behind the Harbaugh-Texas rumors. I thought that was the case, but had never heard it specifically. The belief is that one reason national NFL media reported on it and college guys were not was because Dunn has their ear. Very few people seem to be asking the question about Dunn's involvement in any of this. I do wonder if he's such a significant source for some media members that they wouldn't dare throw anything on him with this.

As the offseason continues, it will be intriguing to see how the drama in San Francisco unfolds. Harbaugh has two years left on his five-year contract, but will he receive an extension? Should he go through the 2014-15 season without an extension, the NFL world will be watching next offseason because without a new deal, he would be coming in as a lame duck.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
This is a little like Jimmy/Jerry.

But I think it is more about Harbaugh wanting more money after three straight NFCC games.

Reaction score
I'd love for the 49'ers to shatcan the coach and send him to an AFC Team.

Our road to the Super Bowl would get that much easier.

Just kidding... we're never going back to the Super Bowl.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Yeah, you can forget about the Super Bowl unless a miracle happens and Jerry dies.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Yeah, you can forget about the Super Bowl unless a miracle happens and Jerry dies.

Then Goof Son takes over. Then Charlotte. Then the guy who cleans glasses. Then Spaulding Jones.

It will not end with The J's death. This is like a fucking Chinese dynasty at work here.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
They have a supremely talented defense. He wouldn't do shit in Dallas.

He'd be much better at his job than raggedy Andy, but the talent isn't there.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
They have a supremely talented defense. He wouldn't do shit in Dallas.

He'd be much better at his job than raggedy Andy, but the talent isn't there.

Baalke has given him an embarrassingly talented roster. Yeah, they sucked, but their had one of the worst head coaches in the history of ever in Mike "Pants on the ground" Singletary.

Is he is a good coach? Sure. He's not a rain maker though.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Is he is a good coach? Sure. He's not a rain maker though.

I think he's an elite coach. He was a damn good quarterback and should have had his team in Super Bowl XXX. He beat us the followng year in 1996. I think he's got all the intangbiles you need in a head coach.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I think he's an elite coach. He was a damn good quarterback and should have had his team in Super Bowl XXX. He beat us the followng year in 1996. I think he's got all the intangbiles you need in a head coach.

There are lots of good coaches. But ultimately is he going to be like Neo...The One...who can overcome Jerry Jones?

Frick that. Nobody is that good.

He's as successful as he is in SF because he has had a talented roster and a GM who knows how to build it the right way. He's had very little adversity to deal with.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I'd do it just to see him throw a tantrum when Jerry tried to tell him to put in the backup QB mid-game.

Actually, I'm a big Jim Harbaugh fan and called for him for to come here for a few years before he took the 49er job. He's not a great person but I think he's a great Head Coach.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I'd do it just to see him throw a tantrum when Jerry tried to tell him to put in the backup QB mid-game.

Actually, I'm a big Jim Harbaugh fan and called for him for to come here for a few years before he took the 49er job. He's not a great person but I think he's a great Head Coach.

He just strikes me as a guy who will be the next vagabond head coach. He will wear out his welcome every three-four years.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
What makes you say that? Because he ran up the score against USC?

No, actually I forgot all about that. I met him way before that game.

I attended a coaching clinic a few years ago with most of the Pac-12 coaches. They (head coaches) are all in love with themselves but he takes it to a new level. Just a really arrogant, self-important jerk.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I read somewhere he is looking to become the first 10+ mil per year HC in the NFL.

Reaction score
Seems like a leverage ploy for a big payday. I can't blame him. They should have beat Seattle this year, and will probably be back in the thick of it for a few more years.

I think he's doing a fantastic job there. Ginger's roster was quite loaded and he did everything that he could to ruin it. A good HC is just as valuable as a franchise QB.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Ginger's roster was quite loaded and he did everything that he could to ruin it. A good HC is just as valuable as a franchise QB.

Pretty sure I dont agree with this.

Dont want Garrett here anymore either, but he took over a 1-7 trainwreck.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Yeah, Wade wrecked a loaded roster. Garrett took it over and got it out of the ditch for half a season, then he went back to being an idiot.

Top Bottom