Reaction score
February, 10, 2014

AM ET

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- As Dallas Cowboys linebacker Sean Lee prepares for his fifth season, he will be getting to know his fifth defensive coordinator.

Rod Marinelli was promoted to the spot two weeks ago after the 2013 coordinator, Monte Kiffin, was named assistant head coach/defense.

When Lee was picked in the second round of the 2010 draft, Wade Phillips was the Cowboys’ defensive coordinator. When Phillips was fired after eight games, Paul Pasqualoni handled the job for the remainder of the season.

In 2011-12, Rob Ryan was the Cowboys’ defensive coordinator as Dallas continued to run the 3-4 scheme.

Last year, the 3-4 was out and Kiffin’s 4-3 was in.

Now it’s Marinelli’s job.

“I think it’ll be a similar base,” Lee said. “Both coaches (Marinelli and Kiffin) are fantastic coaches. I think the issue is the players finding a way to play better within the scheme, being more consistent, being perfect with our technique and playing with consistency. Those are things we didn’t do at all last year.”

Lee got to know Marinelli last season even if he did not receive the day-to-day coaching from him.

“Unbelievable motivator, great person, great coach,” Lee said. “I’m excited to play 8 or so games for him as our coordinator. He’s going to be great. I’m excited Coach Kiffin is going to be involved too. I have a great relationship with Coach [Matt] Eberflus, who has made me a better player. Having all those guys will be great.”

Lee said the onus will be on the players to improve if the Cowboys want to be a team that makes the playoffs.

“I think that the 4-3, 3-4, there are a lot of similarities really,” Lee said. “Obviously we didn’t make the transition well, but that was on us working more, becoming better, learning quicker and executing it better. I think that’s on the players.”

If it doesn’t get better in 2014, then Lee could see his sixth defensive coordinator in six seasons.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
:fern

Same god damn shit every year. "I'm really looking forward to this new scheme! It really lets us go out there and play!"

8-8

We'll be extremely lucky to go 8-8 this year, FYI.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
As Dallas Cowboys linebacker Sean Lee prepares for his fifth season, he will be getting to know his fifth defensive coordinator.

Yeah, that's not a huge problem at all. We are just like every other team.

Reaction score
Hard to argue that something good is being "built" here when we keep tearing it down and starting over.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I also love how fans, especially Cowboy fans, think that a returning coach who is promoted is going to make such a huge difference.

So in your world, Marinelli was sitting there quietly last year, holding back all of this amazing, magical coaching he will do now that he is the DC ?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I also love how fans, especially Cowboy fans, think that a returning coach who is promoted is going to make such a huge difference.

So in your world, Marinelli was sitting there quietly last year, holding back all of this amazing, magical coaching he will do now that he is the DC ?

I sort of get what you are saying, but the DL coach doesnt develop the entire game plan, make the in game scheme adjustments or call the defensive plays. Kiffin was once great at those things, but he cant do it anymore and Marinelli was really good in Chicago at it. To say Marinelli is probably a little sharper than Kiffin at this point is probably an understatement.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I get that a certain coach might be more aggressive but in this case, Marinelli is a Kiffin disciple. If he wanted to change things up or do things differently last year I'm sure Kiffin, if awake, would have listened to him. Plus, Kiffin is still here as Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Colultant/guy who makes Jerry seem less old. Marinelli isn't going to just throw out what Kiffin did last year, it's going to be a very similar concept.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I get that a certain coach might be more aggressive but in this case, Marinelli is a Kiffin disciple. If he wanted to change things up or do things differently last year I'm sure Kiffin, if awake, would have listened to him. Plus, Kiffin is still here as Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Colultant/guy who makes Jerry seem less old. Marinelli isn't going to just throw out what Kiffin did last year, it's going to be a very similar concept.

They run the same basic scheme in other places, with markedly better results. There's no doubt talent has an impact on that (because we lack it) but the argument some made that the scheme doesnt work anymore doesnt seem legit to me, its a combination of who is playing in it and the quality of coaching. Unfortunately Kiffin proved that he wasnt able to run a defense soundly anymore.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score

Exactly.

I guess it's possible Kiffin was too slow to make play-to-play adjustments the way he once used to, especially against a fast-paced offense like the Eagles run. But as you say, it's not like Kiffin was running the show on his own and Marinelli wasn't helping before.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
“Unbelievable motivator, great person, great coach,” Lee said. “I’m excited to play 8 or so games for him as our coordinator. He’s going to be great. I’m excited Coach Kiffin is going to be involved too. I have a great relationship with Coach [Matt] Eberflus, who has made me a better player. Having all those guys will be great.”

Lee said the onus will be on the players to improve if the Cowboys want to be a team that makes the playoffs.

“I think that the 4-3, 3-4, there are a lot of similarities really,” Lee said. “Obviously we didn’t make the transition well, but that was on us working more, becoming better, learning quicker and executing it better. I think that’s on the players.”

If it doesn’t get better in 2014, then Lee could see his sixth defensive coordinator in six seasons.

LOL

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
What happened in Detroit, dbair?

Parcells stated it best; coaches don't draw up bad gameplans. Well, except for Garrett who doesn't know what one even looks like.

Reaction score

It's the silliest. The cowboys defense just gets thrown around and outjumped and outran.

Top Bottom