Reaction score
JANUARY 28, 2014

Jimmy Johnson doesn't see how the Cowboys' hiring of the pass-happy Scott Linehan helps run game

Don't put former Cowboys coach Jimmy Johnson down as a fan of the Cowboys' expected decision to add Scott Linehan as passing game coordinator and play caller.
Johnson said Linehan's history as a pass happy play caller does nothing to help a Cowboys team that already has a problem with a lack of commitment to the run. The Cowboys finished 31st in the league in rushing attempts last season one year after setting a team record for fewest attempts in a season.
"The only thing that concerns me is Linehan is not known for being a guy that’s going to run the football," Johnson said at Super Bowl media day Tuesday. "That’s kind of been a little bit of a problem with the Cowboys in the past that they’ve got a great running back in DeMarco Murray and, I mean, I don’t know. Are they going to run the ball more or less? Who can tell? We’ll only know a year from now. But it does concern you a little bit."
The Cowboys are in the process of adding Linehan, the former Detroit Lions offensive coordinator as passing game coordinator and play caller. He has been at the team's Valley Ranch headquarters the past two days participating in meetings. The team has yet to make an official announcement.
Linehan would be the third play caller in as many years for the Cowboys after offensive coordinator Bill Callahan replaced head coach Jason Garrett last season. Garrett had been callling plays since he took over as head coach in 2010.
"How many play callers can a team have?
"I guess we’re going to find out. That’s a lot of cooks, right," Johnson said. "I really don’t know (Linehan) that well. The only concern I would have is that one of the problems with the cowboys is at times they have abandoned the run with DeMarco Murray and I don’t recall Detroit being a power running football team. Hey, I don’t know. The only people who know are the ones who are there and even they don’t know and won’t find out until next season."
Clarence Hill

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...tt-linehan-helps-run-game-.html#storylink=cpy

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
They have one guy calling plays, Linehan

I think some might should go back and look at Linehan at places other than just Detroit. Detroit he had a hodge podge of mediocrity (and injuries) at RB until this past yr, and he ended up with one 1000+ yd rusher and another guy that gained over 650. He ran the ball with St Louis when Steven Jackson was healthy. He had quite a bit of success running the ball as OC of Minnesota.

The other huge positive should be Linehan will do a better job making sure Dez Bryant is the focal point of the passing game, instead of being ignored as we saw far too many times this year.

Again I don't know if he works out or not, but at least its a decision being made by the HC instead of the clown GM.

Reaction score
Come on man... you can't think Jerry has ceded any control, just cause we hired someone Garrett knows from his past.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
So is this going to be an annual thing with this team? New coordinators every year?

How about we just replace the fucking head coach and fire everyone and let him bring in his own staff?

We might go 8-8 again next year. These same pieces in place are getting older and the new ones we signed or drafted couldn't give any less fucks.

And I never thought of Jimmy Johnson's full name being James before. Weird.

Last edited:

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I am baffled by this teams moves this off season.

The entire staff, including Red should be gone. But short of that, the DC and OC deserved to be demoted or fired. They both got demoted and replaced.

Really isn't that baffling to me.

Top Bottom