Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

If you want to talk about a disappointing draft pick from the Dallas Cowboys' 2013 class, this was it. Gavin Escobar was drafted in the second round and presented as someone the Cowboys would pair with Witten in a two-tight end set.

Escobar's problems were he wasn't strong enough, he had a thin frame on his 249 pounds, so blocking pass-rushers was difficult. Maybe more importantly, the Cowboys didn't employ the two-tight-end set with Escobar. Instead, James Hanna was used more than Escobar in the two-tight-end set.

Escobar finished the season with nine catches for 134 yards and two touchdowns. But his touchdown reception against the Philadelphia Eagles in the regular-season finale where he flipped into the end zone, showed the Cowboys they had an athletic player who needed a chance to participate.

The Cowboys are not preparing for the end of Witten's career, but at some point the veteran will retire, and this is where Escobar comes in. Escobar has to get more playing time in 2014, and become that pass-catching tight end who plays consistently, to justify the second-round selection.

A lot of this isn't Escobar's fault, the team moved down in the draft, bypassing the best tight end -- Notre Dame's Tyler Eifert (drafted by Cincinnati) -- to get a quality center who might have been grabbed in the second round. Escobar might have fallen to the third round, and maybe the Cowboys could have grabbed a defensive lineman, something the team desperately needed, in the second round.

But Escobar, 22, is a young player who has a future, if the Cowboys use him.

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
Who's name is attached to that shitty pick? Was it JJ, Garret, an insane scout? Who convinced the rest of them this was the best possible use of that pick?

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Who's name is attached to that shitty pick? Was it JJ, Garret, an insane scout? Who convinced the rest of them this was the best possible use of that pick?

Yes... who "stood on the table" for this guy? Like they stood on the table for Larry Allen.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Nobody stands on the table in the Cowboys War Room. You say "great pick Jerry" and enjoy your nachos.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
From a few little things said after that draft, I really think Romo in a way made those picks. Not really of course, but Jerry made them for him. I think Jerry was trying to give his newly minted QB what he wanted -- a strong C in the middle who wouldn't be pushed back in his face, a 3rd WR like Laurent Robinson, and not sure on Pablo... Maybe a specific red zone target after we'd been so bad there for years. At one point after the draft, Jerry mentioned something about Romo liking all those guys on film.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
This is the third motherfucking tight end we took in the 2nd round and didn't use.

:roythehammer

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Originally they led us to believe they decided on escobar because he was the highest rated player on the board, and Jerry supposedly gave the speech to Garrett and Callahan about using him enough to warrant picking him and that they had to dedicate themselves to making a 2TE base scheme really work.

But then I thought I remember reading that WR Terrance Williams was actually rated higher on the board than Escobar was, and yet they took Escobar first.

Who knows what their logic was behind this other than idiot GM and the yes man coach.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
From a few little things said after that draft, I really think Romo in a way made those picks. Not really of course, but Jerry made them for him. I think Jerry was trying to give his newly minted QB what he wanted -- a strong C in the middle who wouldn't be pushed back in his face, a 3rd WR like Laurent Robinson, and not sure on Pablo... Maybe a specific red zone target after we'd been so bad there for years. At one point after the draft, Jerry mentioned something about Romo liking all those guys on film.

Yeah I remember him saying that on one of his radio shows right after the draft.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
The real crime was our unimaginative playcallers not at least calling his shot 2 or 3 times a game. So what if he's not starting because he can't block? Still doesn't mean you can't design some plays for him to surprise the defense with; such as the surprise we laid on the Eagles that one time where he scored.

Reaction score

Lafleur 2.0

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
How did Dr. Jerry not catch that about LaFluer?

He looked at Shaun Rogers's x-rays and decided to take Tony Dixon instead. Genius move.

Top Bottom