Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
MOBILE, Ala. - Some quick thoughts before the North practice gets under way this morning:
Full pads practice. Will see Mike Smith treat this like a training camp practice with far more contact drills. Will be the most physical practice of the week. Scouts will love what they see today.

Wasn’t a great start to the week for Cyril Richardson and Trent Murphy. Maybe when the pads come on today, we will see a different story. Richardson is a massive guard that played like a very average one on Monday. Murphy didn’t show the speed and quickness that I thought I would have seen off the edge. Was disappointed in both.

Keep an eye on Zack Martin of Notre Dame on Tuesday. Didn’t know a whole heck of a lot about him but didn’t practice like those Irish linemen that we have seen from the past. This guy has balance and some power plus some mobility to his game. He gets out in space really well. Thoughts that he might be a better guard like what we saw in Justin Pugh of Syracuse last season.

Need to see more from Marcus Smith from Louisville. Been lining up at Sam linebacker but looking forward to seeing him with his hand on the ground and rushing the passer this week. Thought he might be one of those guys that you could make a defensive end out of because on tape, you did see the quickness and explosiveness.

There are certain players that you just like the way that they look in a uniform and Oregon wide receiver Josh Huff is that guy for me. There were two or three times where he really did a nice job of making some flash plays. Has the hands and routes, coming from a passing school makes me want to learn more about him.

I have had a chance to take a look at two safeties on tape the last couple of weeks in Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix and Calvin Pryor but a guy I am looking forward to really studying is Baylor’s Ahmad Dixon who is listed as strong safety, but on Monday, showed some really nice range during the team period. I am interested to see how well he can really cover.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I really could see us getting Dixon one way or another with Jerry's friendship with Briles. And he is a really good player. Has that edge, too, like you could see him playing for Seattle or the Niners.

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Donald's weight of 288 lbs. scares me a bit, especially being only 6'1". The talent is there no doubt. I think we need a DT at least 300 pounds and 6'2" I'd take'm is this order.

Hageman
Tuitt
Jernigan
Donald
McCullers

Last edited:

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
who cares what they weigh reall, they just need to be somebody that can make plays

they really need someone who can get upfield from the DT position and be a difference maker in the pass game

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
who cares what they weigh reall, they just need to be somebody that can make plays

they really need someone who can get upfield from the DT position and be a difference maker in the pass game

I didn't say I don't like him, the only downside is his weight and arm length, I'll leave it at that.

Last edited:

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
***BREAKING NEWS***

I'm being told right now it doesn't matter who the Cowboys take. If they are any good, which is a big if, they will end up turning into soft, complacent players while they spend their careers here.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
His size unreasonably scares me, but you're right. There's a lot of Sapp in this kid.

He can gain additional size and he already plays extremely well for his size. Personally, he looks compact and that in itself is an advantage, because he's able to get better leverage. I'm not thrilled about Kiffin staying on as DC, but if you can get a Warren Sapp-type player for your DL, you cannot turn your noes up against that.

He has a mean streak that is borderline dirty, and that is what this team needs.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong I wouldn't complain if we drafted Donald. Definitely has talent. I guess I'm just used to run stuffers being 300 plus. I'm sure he'll add a few more pounds in the pros.

He is not a run stuffer. He would play a 3-technique in this defense (the "Sapp" role). The 1-technique is the run stuffer or what Booger McFarland used to play for Kiffin in Tampa.

A disruptive tackle like Donald is exactly what this defense needs.

The Ratliff miscalculation was the biggest issue last season. Our idiotic decision to depend on him to play that vital role on the defense was devastating, not the Spencer/Crawford/Bass injuries.

Top Bottom